“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







For Heads or Tails [Ruby Tuesday found below this] we have a choice of wear or where...

So....

I choose 'where' since I can make a more personal blog with the subject. Guess WHERE we're gonna be one night this week?!! We have tickets to attend the local Harbor Theater's edition/performance of the hit musical, CATS. I'm excited about it too. It happens to be a favorite read of mine when I was a kid. Of course, me being a cat lover, I can't help myself. T.S. Eliot wrote this and had it published in 1939 [boy would I love to have a first edition of this!] The musical is based on his writing. His cat poems are literally...a literary hoot! Y'all have the option of reading it in its entirety online. For instance:
    The Rum Tum Tugger is a terrible bore:
    When you let him in, then he wants to be out;
    He's always on the wrong side of every door,
    And as soon as he's at home, then he'd like to get about.
    He likes to lie in the bureau drawer,
    But he makes such a fuss if he can't get out.
    Yes the Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat -
    And there isn't any call for you to doubt it:
    For he will do
    As he do do
    And there's no doing anything about it!


OR
    Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer had a wonderful way of working together.
    And some of the time you would say it was luck, and some of the time you would say it was weather.
    They would go through the house like a hurricane, and no sober person could take his oath
    Was it Mungojerrie - or Rumpelteazer? or could you have sworn that it mightn't be both?

    And when you heard a dining-room smash
    Or up from the pantry there came a loud crash
    Or down from the library came a loud ping
    From a vase which was commonly said to be Ming -
    Then the family would say: `Now which was which cat?
    It was Mungojerrie! AND Rumpelteazer!' - And there's nothing at all to be done about that!

I remember having this read to me when I was a youngster and how my mom and I used to giggle at all the funny, strange and oh so very true 'antics' of the feline family. All cats have the same instincts and actions...but of course different personalities to go with it. Bud is still trying to figure out what Tahoe's and Winston's 'secret' names are. But he doesn't realize that that is only known to each individual cat....afterall, it's secret. LOL, he just 'don't get it'!! LOL Yes, I have a paperback copy...I'm sure the one my mother had was 'an original, first edition'; I have no idea where it has gone. Who knows. All in all, it was a great tiny book and a favorite of mine. Of course, this is just amateur actors and not even close to Broadway's epic musical...but this will be a treat none-the-less. It's where I'll be. And I WILL be humming the most fabulous song in my head all week long. In fact, there is a 'chapter' of "Memory"...can't wait, can't wait.



<><><>



For my Ruby Tuesday this week a photo of an old rusted ship lantern. Bud has it hanging off a ship's line connected to a fence post in our back yard. The 'ruby' part is a couple of bougainvillea brackets. The color/plant is "San Diego Red".



Join Here

and


Join Here






Posted: July 21st, 2009
12:01 A.M.
NOTE: On the 23rd, my mother would have been 98 this month if she were alive....I will be thinking of her!!

43 comments :

  1. Hi Anni, this is a pretty lamp.
    My Mom would have been 98 July 13 had she lived. I was thinking of her. She died at age 88, Dad died last year at age 97.
    Happy RT,
    ..
    I'd like you to peek in on both blogs if you have time. Our new Granddaughter is on my regular blog for a couple of posts, she was born on July 16. Of course RT is on the other, P&P Place, blog.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say "Good for you on going to see Cats." We missed it when it was here, it stayed for a bit.
    If tickets were available in CC I probably wouldn't drive that far. Shame on me. Good for you!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lamp. I would hang it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely lamp sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent my friend and the lamp is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED "Cats" have seen it in Wash DC & Philly when it traveled from Broadway. I bought the video years ago, and Tara got "into" it two summers ago, she would watch it over and over again!

    The lamp is lovely for RT~

    My Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lamp - it looks so cute hanging there. I have heard of Cats but don't know much about it. After reading those poems I think I would like it. Any cat owner would enjoy those poems!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the writing you shared..and sweet note about your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lamp are cute hanging together with the bougainvillea, I always like that flower specially during summer season. well... it's a lovely RT for the red bougainvillea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers. I love old things like that lamp. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm super envious sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rusted ship’s lantern.
    your sailing days are over,
    not your days of light.

    My Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting contrast - a rusty lamp and a vibrant plant! Great RT post Anni! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anni, I love the play Cats also... I have seen it a couple of times... However I never read the book... I'll be looking for that now to read. Thanks for the info

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good mornin' Anni,
    That red flower is just so beautiful. You're lucky to live where they grow year round. My favorite color is red.
    I noticed the turquoise placemats.
    You have educated me. I sure didn't know where 'CATS' originated. I was privilaged to see a performance once. I sang along with it. Aren't we lucky to have men who will go to such things. I loved it. I know you are looking forward to seeing it again.
    I hope your week is going well.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love going to the theater. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely lamp, Anni! Thank you for the comment :)

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great lamp near the beautiful red flowers; a fine idea for RT.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Cats, seen it twice. Great show!

    Nice RT!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the book your Mother read to you! How sweet! Have so much fun on your nights out! I am sure you will, you sound so excited.
    The lantern I love, it makes me think of a young women holding it up to the sea to see if her man has come home to her. Wow, your poetry must be wearing off on me, for I saw all that in the lovely old lantern.
    Your header keeps changing with the wind. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never read the book or seen the play...I'm sooooo deprived! lol Of course I've heard about the Broadway production of Cats but never really knew what it was all about or who had written it. Now I know:-) I can well imagine how thrilled you are to be going to see the play!!

    Love that old lantern and also love the way the flowers are resting against it.

    We're having another lovely day here...wow, 2 days in a row with sunshine and mild temps! lol Unfortunately, back to rain tomorrow for the next 5 days. As I just told Mary, I'm ready to grow fins! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anni,

    I hope you enjoy the Cats performance. Michelle went with the high school years ago to see it. I've never had the privledge. Will you be able to take photos?

    Oh, that lantern is a treasure. I would hang it too and the flowers are beautiful. Enjoy! I love having old things as part of my garden. I have two old cast iron pots. One is full of ivy that Brandon chose early this spring and it is looking awesome.

    Have a great day, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both the book and musical are marvellous. You'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved the lamp, Anni. Enjoy Cats.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have seen CATS in London you will love it ! It was really wonderful and the costumes !!! Everything was great.
    Like your lamp !
    I volonteered if there would be nobody else, nice that you informed me, lol ! Mariposa forgot to tell me apparently. I have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I have always wanted to see Cats! Hope you enjoy it! And I love the lamp too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Update on Amy! The doctors came in, they talked to Amy and were finally able to get the IV started. Ladies we start praying, it will be 2 more hours now, Amy is back in the procedure room. The Dr.s like to use the artery on the right side of the groin, but Amy had cancer there at the age of 10 and there is scar tissue there, so it may not be possible on the right side and they may have to go to the left. Debbie said that Amy was hesterical this morning, but after talking to the Dr. she had calmed down. The Dr. said they will occlude the corotid artery for 30 minutes, if she shows no sign of a stroke then she will be scheduled for surgery, if at any time in those 30 minutes if she shows a sign of stroke, then the surgery will not be possible. We have jumped the first hurdle with prayer, we move on to the second. Thank you so much for loving our family, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had no idea that Cats was not just a stage production. I didn't know there was a book first. I must live under a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Sweet Blogger Sisters:
    Update on Amy. She has PASSED the test. Yes, she has PASSED the test. The Dr. said her little vessels looked so good and she had such a wonderful blood flow. While the balloon was inflated she showed no signs at all of a stroke. They injected some die at the time the balloon was in there, and she is on her way for a scan of sorts to double check the brain and make sure there is no sign of a stroke. This is more or less a double check. She told Debbie, "No more tests Mom, no more tests." The Dr. said he saw no reason why she should not have the surgery, but would talk with them after this scan. Debbie did get to see Amy on her way to the next test, and she was teary eyed but glad it was over, and Praise God she PASSED. Keep up the prayers as they are so working. God Bless you, Love Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your blog is pretty, I love your header. Those are some nice memories. I have never seen Cats, but I hope to.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for dropping by Happily Retired Gal earlier. Your post reminds me it's been a while since I've participated in HOTS so perhaps I'll add it to my list for next week? I love your new header ... it's delightfully subtle and beautiful. Enjoyed your Ruby Tuesday choice too.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have a great time at the production. I'm sure you will. I love the music. We had a tape of Barbra Streisand singing Memories in the 80's. We totally wore it out.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the lamp! Happy RT!

    Thanks for visiting my entries:
    Moms... Check Nyo
    Yummy-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  34. The lamp is beautiful. My MIL collects old lamps too. Happy RT!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the lantern, old rusty weathered objects are art to me

    ReplyDelete
  36. Annie: Just a quick update. We had a bit of a scare. Amy was having some problems with one of her eyes and they thought it was a sign of a small stroke, but after checking they believe it to be a migraine. She is resting. She is still receiving IVs which her little body so desperately needs to be hydrated and fed. This is a good thing. (even though she doesn't like it, it will make her feel better). They took the line out of her groin area and applied a pressure patch, and then she will need to be careful for (I don't know how long) so that plug can stay in and have no bleeding problems. With only state assisted insurance they are saying they may have to send her home tonight, which upsets me considering it is about 2 1/2 drive home and there is no place to take her if they run into problems. I am praying the will decide to keep her for safety sake. We'll see. I will update a post later tonight when I know more. Thank you my dear lady for being such a wonderful friend to me. I cheerish your friendship so much, Country love and hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  37. I remember seeing the actual Broadway Play and I still hum parts of the score while I'm humdrumming in my banal NOW. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  38. My daughter went to see Cats a few years ago, having no idea what it was about. She was totally confused. I guess I should have read it to her when she was younger! How wonderful that your mom shared such great poetry with you.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful flowers (can't remember how to spell!)

    So your dear mom was 31 on the day DC was born!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I always love your blog layouts they seem different all the time. I would love to go to the theatre but none around here for miles and miles. I have heard the music from Cats is really great I am sure you will enjoy it. Thanks for coming over to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the old lantern! My Dad collected old lanterns so they speak to me.
    I love the look of yours hanging there all rusted and enhanced by the flower petals.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I adore the musical of Cats, as well as the poems. I've seen the live show twice and it's here again and I'm very tempted to see it...again. I have the video of the show as well as the whole show on DVD, plus the books of poems. Would you get the idea I like Cats??

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your Ruby Tuesday flower is lovely, Anni! Thinking of your mother today... :)

    ReplyDelete

.