my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Friday, January 9th, 2009
5:25 A. M.




My whole computer froze yesterday. I started to visit with bloggers and the system froze. I couldn't get OUT of programs, the mouse was frozen, and I couldn't even get out of Windows Vista!! Dang. So, I had to unplug, wait the normal 30 seconds and then plug the power cord back in and had to wait for about an hour for the Check Disk [CHKDSK] to go through the entire file system for a normal reentry!

With that happening, I'm behind, and I was too frustrated to actually make use of the computer online time at all yesterday. Normally by this time of day I've finished blogging, and I've visited friends and ready for my juice and getting ready for my walking as the daylight breaks on the horizon.

Well, in the meantime, a few days ago, I upgraded to the new version of Firefox. And I've noticed a bit of lagging with some pages loading and the mouse not scrolling smoothly since the upgrade. Yesterday, I did some tweaking, and I think I figured it out. Since the upgrade to the latest version of Firefox, my Ad Block Plus addon has a Filterset G updating. The Filterset G [which is an automatic updater for new ads to block] is not compatible with the new version of Firefox!! I disabled the Filterset G, and for now anyway, it's operating at normal speed. I can type faster, the keyboard isn't hesitating, and the mouse is smooth, everything is quicker. I will have to go out on the 'net to find out how I can update the ads manually. If this works that is...it's too frustrating to have such long hesitations in the operating system. I'm spoiled.

Addendum: The disabling of the Filterset G for the Ad Block Plus addon is also controlling the updated Firefox's frequent crashes and freezing!! Yay!!! So far, so good.

- - -

That said and done!




I just didn't feel up to getting back online at all yesterday, so I'll need to catch up with my visitors. I try to make sure I go and visit my neighbors in blogland...what I call the 'hood.... when they are kind enough to leave me a message. It's only the right thing to do. Y'know? Well, I truly apologize for not stopping by yesterday with a return visit. I got busy. I said I felt lazy yesterday, well I did....but I soon got bored too. There is one closet, just a very SMALL closet that was so stuffed full of junk it was really beginning to 'bug' me. It was full of things I didn't want to throw away, but it was still chocked full to the point where I had a difficult time closing it sometimes. It's the coat closet in the foyer off the front door. And it hardly has any coats! LOLOL

We have a three bedroom home, but I swear we need a fourth bedroom for the extra room being just storage space. Besides the attic, which we would need use of a ladder all the time to get into it, we have only closets for storage.

I used to have a metal filing cablinet, but found that during hurricane season around here, I can't possibly take the cabinet with us if there is a need to evacuate. So, what I did the first year we lived here was to get stackable plastic filing boxes and separated the more important things that I could just grab and put in the car's trunk if evacuation is called. They are see through boxes so I know just which one's to grab on a minute's notice. They are in the foyer closet. Stacked from the floor to the shelves. The boxes were outdated. By that, I mean I had insurance policies in some that had expired...you know, the six month policies that are no longer valid? Stuff like that.

BEFORE



Bud and I took everything out...EVERYTHING. And started to liquidate. Going through each and EVERY piece of paper in the boxes!! It took us all morning and part of the afternoon to complete the job! We made a donation box for coats and sweaters we haven't worn since we moved here four years ago, got rid of some of the boxed games we haven't played since living in Colorado. There were some toys of Erik's that I want to save for him [even tho he will probably throw them away when we're gone]. Oh and one thing I just couldn't get rid of....his Marine Dress Uniform!! Of course Irene, when she left home years ago, she took all her belongings with her. But I still have some of her notes to me, pictures that she drew for me...things like that. Paper stuff. And they're all in a filing box where I can grab them and keep them in my possession if the need arises that we need to get out of the path of a hurricane.

AFTER




26 comments :

  1. I have a space problem too. This week-end, I'll be clearing out my catch-all room, the room that catches everything that I don't have room for, lol.

    It's been catching things for a year! Can't fit anything else into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what makes us get in the get-rid of mood after Christmas? LOL. If I knew what the heck you were talking about with Foxfire, I'd join in. I just know twice I have downloaded it, cause it sounded so awesome, but had to deload it both times. Just screwed up my settings and such. So, my theory in life...If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It. LOL

    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well all the computer speak went totally over my head, but glad you managed to fix it

    ReplyDelete
  4. you attacked the cupboards, noddy badge for you! and again i'm absolutely stupefied by your knowledge of computers. i must admit i'm one of those terrible people, who, when something breaks or doesn't work properly, i call the tech guy, i.e. hubby. honestly, i'm just to lazy to learn, and since he already knows how, why bother. whoa, bad attitude that. maybe i should look at changing that. and now this comment is getting too long and completely off topic. bibi dear anni, have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there my friend! I found your blog very interesting so I have added your link in my Blogroll. I hope you'll link me back. Have a nice day! http://hapiblogging.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my laptop developed problems a couple of weeks ago, my young computer guru took it and reconfigured it, reloading all of my stuff (except all of my Favoites were lost). He took off IE and put me on Firefox because he says it's safer. Ever since, though, when I'm typing along, suddenly my cursor will jump up to the middle of a word in a different line - totally frustrating! It's driving me crazy! Sometimes it'll highlight a few words and just delete them as I'm typing. I can't take it! Any suggestions? He just says it needs to be cleaned, but I think it's more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what happens, but you are now the 3rd person who complains about new Firefox and is busy with cleaning up closets etc. It's not yet spring ! I start to feel guilty because I am rather lazy for the moment in this cold weather I feel like a prisonner because the roads are all so slippery and I just can't drive around as I use to do !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish my coat closet looked like your BEFORE picture... much less the after! But I knew this... two adults living alone together do NOT know what a TRUE mess is! I'll be getting to mine in a few days... stay tuned!

    I don't have that program that you have that was interfering with the new FF version. But IT - the new version, was interfering with my NORTON! That ticked me off! But on top of all that - on top of FF crashing -- which did not crash my whole computer - I could use IE just fine... but on top of it all, we had installed a game of Dennis's on my computer - that then required more memory - and after THAT a new upgraded video card! I don't think those two things were ever installed PROPERLY and after they were I started getting the Blue Screen of Death -- about 10 times a day if not more! That's when I said - it's goin' to the shop! Let THEM fix it! I haven't heard from THEM yet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Vista and the latest version of Firefox. So far no problems with it, thank goodness. I hear about a lot of people who have compatibility problems with Vista but I'm thankful that I haven't had to deal with any of them. Glad you figured out your issues and fixed them.

    Happy Friday and have a great weekend, my friend. :o)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have mad my battles with my older computer as well.so I know the frustration.Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job clearing up your space!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni,

    So sorry about your computer woes. I know that Vista can be a pain sometimes. I always have trouble with my digital camera software. It seems that it isn't very compatible with Vista. I have to restart it several times just to download a few photos.

    You did a great job of cleaning up the closet. I'm sure you appreciated Bud's help. We are in the same predicament as you. We have only two bedrooms and no storage space except closets. That's why the computer room is often a disaster area. lol

    Take care, my friend and enjoy your day. We're off to the optometrist.

    I'm not sure what type of surgery Marrianne is having except it's to repair a very damaged ligament.

    Love and hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Decluttering is such a good, theraputic activity. We always feel as if we've accomplished a great deal when seeing all that cleared space! PS/ I wore my new scarf today, I just love it! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're the second person I've read today that is Spring Cleaning already! LOL Or should I say neatening up? This is something I need to tackle too. Hearing you do it is inspiring me now. Hurray you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so cool. We recently left the "baby" stage but I held onto some toys while I was cleaning things out. I want to be able to pull them out for my grandkids. I always enjoyed that growing up, being at my grandparents' house.

    Great job. I need to get my arse in gear and follow suit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni... Looks like you had a tough time with your Firefox... Sorry bout that... I don't know anything about Firefox but I will check it out... but boy did you ever get some good cleaning done...I think it is the packing away of the Holiday decorations that does it... Have a peaceful day today...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your de-cluttered closet looks great. My whole house needs de-cluttering, but I'd much rather be painting/writing/computering. I'm going to have to tackle it soon though.:)

    I noticed the Rod Stewart concert on your favorites list as your favorite event. He's my favorite singer and I've never been to a concert. I'm so happy that you got to go though. I know it was good. :)

    Hope your pc is doing ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a bad habit of saving things too - New Year's Resolution this year - clear out the clutter and boxes in the basement so that I can comfortably use it come summer time (where it is cooler and the AC doesn't have to be used as much). Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sometime these computer is a blessing and other time there a real hell.
    Looks and sound like life been busy great job on your ceramics.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since I now live in an area were tornadoes can show up, thank you for sharing what you do in case of an evacuation. It's true, my 4 drawer metal filing cabinet might just, by sheer weight, stay down, but I see that these storms can be fierce. I LOVE plastic bins and filing drawers so it won't bother me to put things in there.

    Sorry about the computer gremlin. "Hit any key to continue" really takes on a stunning meaning!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very productive day, Anni. I don't keep things at all except for what the kids have done when they were small and some special cards I've received over the years. As for clothes, as soon as they become too small, they're taken to St Vinnie's and I go and buy new, larger (sigh) stuff. This happens every year, now.

    Anyway, look forward to having you visit once more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had computer problems this evening. Well, actually it was wireless router problems. I'm not sure it is all fixed, but I'm back up and running and the people at tech support were very *supportive* as they walked me through correct the problem. That said, I also understand about not being in the mood to blog --- if you have notice I haven't gotten anything written but these nice long comment to my hopefully still friends. :) I think I will get back into the rhythm soon. Hope so anyway.
    And finally will you come sort my papers?????? Please!!!!! It looks like you do great work. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hear you on needing extra space...about a month ago I made Corey take all the stuff he had left in his bedroom closet because I needed the space! lol He spent two days while here going through everything and when he loaded it all in his truck, the back was full. He's like me, he likes to keep everything. lol Shawn on the other hand doesn't keep anything unless absolutely necessary.

    Glad you were able to figure out what was going on with your computer! I agree with you, it can be VERY frustrating when things start to act up. Lately I've taken a day here and there of NO computer so that I can get things done around the house. Otherwise I'll sit here for hours! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you were able to get things working again and figured out the problem with Firefox. I've had trouble with Vista and Firefox since getting my new Dell 1720 last summer and keep hoping for a fix. The regular crashes are certainly tiresome and frustrating.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

.