my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds





Play along with your subconscious; Sunday's Word Association.
Join here.

I say ... and you think ... ?


1. Cut the crap :: and, give it to me straight!!!
2. Scent :: of a Woman [movie]
3. Vanishing :: Point [movie]
4. Wetness :: damp
5. Cheap :: at half the price
6. Badges ::? We don't need no stinking badges [movie quote-Blazing Saddles]
7. Puppy :: love
8. Problem solver :: mother's work
9. Gambling :: table
10. Sophia :: Loren

~...end Mutterings
[if you wish to skip the rest of my Sunday Blogs below...COMMENT Here]


<><><>


JOIN HERE

This sunrise photo was taken on Friday, at the White Cap Beach. What with Ike threatening the Texas Coast, this sight reminded me of the devastation yet to come, it was almost like an atomic bomb explosion through the cellphone 'lens'!!





~...end Sunrise-Sunset

[if you wish to skip the rest of my Sunday Blog below...COMMENT Here]


<><><>




We see these tankers coming into port, heavy with crude oil - or leaving the refineries here through the ships' channel. But when news of one that was stranded out to sea because of no propulsion - in the Gulf - with 22 crew members aboard, and absolutely no way to rescue them because of high winds coming from the hurricane Ike. News that they had to live out the storm was disheartening to say the least. I fear water when it gets above my chin...can you imagine spending a long night aboard a ship that is not with power...through a storm....on sea? Not me!!

First, the attempts during the pre-destruction of Ike and the Coast Guard and volunteers helping people out of harm's way during the first hours of the storm front elates me to no end. Their courage and human kindness to help those in need makes one feel good to know there ARE people out there, that will risk their lives to save others.

If you follow my blog, you will know that our part of the Gulf was hit by high vicious waves just after dawn on Friday and all day, and early Saturday morning. Warnings were posted through all medias...we even have the high lighted road signs through out the city heading on the streets where there is access to the Gulf...they flashed "Hurricane Ike approaching...fill up your tank...stay off beaches...beaches closed...Seek Shelter....things like that. But still, there are those who think they're above the laws of nature and take chances...extreme chances. Friday afternoon on Packery Channel...we here lost a 19 year old boy. His body is yet to be found. He was caught out on a jetty, a huge surge came in upon him and washed him to sea. Three others jumped in to try and rescue him...too late, water currents just to vicious. Nineteen.

But, with the sadness of loss there are good stories of rescue also. The tanker, hailing from Cypress and on its way to our port to seek safety from Ike near Galveston/Port O'Connor area...broke down. The ship through the night and the height of the storm somehow stayed afloat, all 22 of the crew did okay, and happy to say that there is now a tugboat, The Rotterdam, hooking up to tow the 'injured' ship to shore.

Here's the rest of the story....

- - -

Perhaps sometime today Bud and I will begin to replace all the junk statues, bird feeders, plants, patio chairs, lights, windchimes back out in our yards. At least start. Preparing for storms in the summer has become routine, but it's still a tiring heavy chore. Especially when the heat index is above 110 degrees. The humidity makes a body tire easily. We're in the prime of our lives, not young stud/chick any more. Tho, it IS routine, it isn't something we enjoy doing...not on the list of first choices. But, it's the price we pay for wanting to be by the beautiful beach. Some have to contend with blizzards in the winter months, some have to contend with earthquakes, others tornadoes...so, it's one thing or another. Be assured, we're gonna take our sweet time getting everything back...it's no big deal. Tomorrow's another day.

27 comments :

  1. Good morning Anni, wow... your sunrise picture does look like a ball of fire...shots over an ocean always look great with their reflections..

    I would not be in a hurry to put everything back in the yard; hurricane season is not over with yet...The crew on the tanker had a rough ride...Thank God for their safety....looking at all of the damage done by Ike is awesome....

    Anni, if you will look at my blog and tell me how to center my header and the body , I would appreciate it. I can't make up my mind if I like this new background or not...too many colors...Do I need to make the body one color?? I like the way the dark blue stands out with the white letters..I may need to change my header picture..

    All of this typing is making me tired.. off for a cup of coffee..enjoy your day with Bud.
    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia Loren - I would imagine that most people will mutter about her today. I'm still jealous that you're going to see Achmed. CND - was the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament ... I used to wear the badges in my rebellious youth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeap you certainly do PAY A PRICE for living by the ocean. I guess living in the middle of the USA the way we did for all of those years and then moving down here to Savannah has shown me that!! We had so much to contend with in Illinois..tornadoes and horrible winters to name a couple!! Now here we wait for whatever will come next!! Smile!! I now understand a lot more. No matter where you live in our wonderful world there is always going to be something that we have to face day by day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly what I think every time I hear "badges!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni, please take a peek at my blog and tell me if I fixed my background...thanks, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    I am glad that you and Bud are safe and didn't have to deal with Ike. You can return the things to your backyard at leisure. Bringing them in was another story...they had to be in before the storm struck.

    I can't imagine anyone being stuck in the Gulf during a hurricane on a ship and especially with no power. I am thankful they are all safe and being tugged in. We heard nothing of this dilemma on the news.

    Sad about the 19 year old boy but the forces of nature are great. I'm thankful that those who tried to save him are safe. I'll pray for his family.

    Take care. Michelle was called into work, so have the boys again today. Having them two full days in a row is tiring.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. tis a pretty picture even with the threat of Ike .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni...so glad you and Bud are okay! Too bad about the loss of your outdoor things but sounds like your house was spared and that's good news.

    We matched on some Mutterings this week. I had to smile that we both came up with Mother being the problem solver :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We matched on a lot of them this week, Anni. I especially liked your response to #5. I'm glad you're well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice mutterings! We were thinking on the same wavelength on a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an amazing photo....this is my first time playing along....your choice is absolutely fantastic...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very slick putting the comments in btwn. your posts. I LOVE your sunrise... I've learned that my house is not in a good location to catch the sunrise... But I can get good sunsets. :-) Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First thing I saw this morning on TV was that Ike had calmed down ! how good for you that you didn't have any damage and this time it went good. The poor boy, 19 that's awful, the poor parents. Better put your "junk" back then if it would have been washed away by wind and water !

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am so very grateful you are okay. i take my hat off to all you who live in a hurricane zone. don't know if i'd be able to, knowing what can happen. but then again, looking at that sun, the good times surely overshadow the bad...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww puppy love :)

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great mutterings as always, and thanks for the insider weather view!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great mutterings, as always! We had several matches this week. ^_^
    Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so you are a movie freak :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not visiting today, just wanted to check up on you and see how you are doing. Glad to see you are posting, sorry about that young man...how terrible.
    Love the new meme (sunrise/sunset), lovely shot! I don't have time to blog over the weekend, Mr Mar thinks I am having an online affair, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad that there wasn't more damage than it were and that you were safe :-)

    I can't imagine how it is to live under such threats, since we don't have that bad storms over here. Luckily no earthquakes either. Pretty safe place, but we have the bad weather during all year instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm very happy to hear you and your hubby are ok.

    I thought of you and a few other blog buddies, during that storm!


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know you will be glad to get your life back to normal. I thought about those guys on that ship and was very relieved to hear that they were all OK after the storm passed. I would have probably gotten sick enough to die. I am very prone to motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my 3rd time visiting … trying to leave a comment. It’s been a crazy morning and hopefully I won’t get interrupted by the phone yet again before I compose my comment. Thanks for dropping by my ‘sunset’ earlier … your sunrise seems ominous indeed, as well it should under the circumstances. I ‘muttered’ at Small Reflections mid-morning … looks like we both thought of the same film for #2. I love your responses to #1 and 5 … my dad used to say both frequently but my mind was ‘addled’ from lack of sleep earlier. I can imagine how tiring the preparations and follow up might be, but I’m relieved you’re both okay … hope your son is too. Thanks for sharing the ‘good news’ in your Sunday Snippet.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  24. So good to know that you are ok. Praying for God's peace and provision for you and other Texans.

    Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The "badges" line actually originates from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", an old Humphrey Bogart movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great to see there's a match and some near matches.

    You can find my mutterings ::here::

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad y'all are okay, and apparently have power. ;-)

    I don't blame you for not getting in any hurry to put back all the loose stuff outside. There's still a long time left in hurricane season, and God forbid, y'all may still have several storms yet this year.

    Would you believe we had 60 mph winds here early this morning as the Eastern side of Ike blasted through? We've got big trees and limbs down, power lines and poles down, shingles and roofs damaged, lawn furniture and other loose stuff tossed around, etc. We even had at least one death, a 29 year old young husband and father. A big tree fell on their mobile home. He'd just sent his wife and baby outside and was trying to get out himself when the tree fell and crushed him. It happened about 25 miles from me and he was the good friend of one of my friends from church.

    I haven't seen any news today but I know the death toll from Ike continues to rise.

    Hope this week is a good one for you, Anni, and glad you're safe.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

.