my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



As always, I have three items in one blog entry on Sunday's. Today is no different. Green Thumb Sunday, Unconscious Mutterings, and my Sunday Snippet....



Play along with your subconscious; Sunday's Word Association.
Join here.


She says ... and I think ...

  1. Goodbye :: So long Sucka! or Adios!

  2. Cage :: Nicholas

  3. Buddy :: Holly

  4. Magic words :: Abracadabra or Open Sesame

  5. Library :: of Congress

  6. Fall in love :: That's Amoré

  7. Tense :: Tight

  8. Work! :: No way. Retired!!

  9. Empty :: Nest

  10. Heat wave :: Here. and Drought, too!!





[scroll to the end for comment link]


<><><>





Join Here


While a lot of our mid sections of the country are being flooded out with the extreme weather patterns, here in South Texas we are in a serious drought. Most of what my extra time during the morning hours consists of is trying to keep the plant life in our back and front yards alive. The grass is browning no matter how often I water or how much...the new plants I've put out in the back yard are not looking good...brown, sunburned, and wilting. The rose bushes are getting tall and spindly looking, with smaller than usual blossoms if at all. A lot is suffering as we have had no beneficial rains in the past two months. And it's hot, hot, hot! Well above the mid nineties daily for weeks.

One plant that we had while in Arizona was the Lantana. This thrives. It is a good plant for the arid, dry areas. So, the bush we have here in Texas, it's been doing well right now in our yard still, but I just wish we could see some of those beautiful clouds above us in the daylight turn heavy with some much needed moisture. Now....I'm not 'wishing for' anything that would inundate the area with flooding...I'm not picky...just a nice soft rain that would last for a while, giving our plants around the city something to thrive on! No hurricanes mind you...just some advantageous wetness!!!






[scroll to the end for comment link]




<><><>



I personally think it's healthy to know a bit of our first ladies. Their background and how they became the person they are. Just as we read the profiles of our blogging friends..it's good to realize a bit about the person behind the photos and such. Hence, the Sunday Snippet I'm doing this week is to show a bit of background on the probable first ladies in 2009 for the U S A---



Probable U S A 1st ladies [2009--]

Cindy Lou Hensley was born in Phoenix, Arizona, to James Hensley, who founded Hensley & Co. in 1955, and Marguerite "Smitty" Hensley. She grew up as an only child in affluent circumstances, and was a rodeo queen in 1968. She went to Central High School in Phoenix, where she graduated in 1972. Hensley received a Bachelor of Arts in education and a Master of Arts in special education, both from the University of Southern California. At USC, she was a cheerleader and a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. There she participated in a movement therapy pilot program that laid the way for a standard treatment for children with severe disabilities; she published the work Movement Therapy: A Possible Approach in 1978. Declining a role in the family business, she then began a special education teaching career working with children with disabilities at Agua Fria High School in Avondale, Arizona. Hensley met John McCain in April 1979 at a military reception in Hawaii. He was the U.S. Navy liaison officer to the United States Senate, almost eighteen years her senior. He was married to his wife Carol, and had previously had extramarital affairs in the mid-1970s. Carol and John McCain had separated briefly once, but had since come back together. McCain and Hensley quickly began a relationship. Carol and John McCain finally separated in late 1979, Carol accepted a divorce in February of 1980, effective in April 1980, and then John and Cindy were married on May 17, 1980 in Phoenix. They made a prenuptial agreement that kept most of her family's assets under her name; they have since kept their finances apart and file separate income tax returns. Her father's business and political contacts helped gain her husband a foothold into Arizona politics; she campaigned with her husband door-to-door during his successful first bid for U.S. Congress in 1982, with her wealth from an expired trust from her parents providing significant loans to the campaign and helping it survive a period of early debt. Once he was elected, the couple moved to Alexandria, Virginia. She spent two months in late 1983 writing handwritten notes on over 4,000 Christmas cards to be sent to constituents and others, and grew homesick for Arizona. After several miscarriages, Cindy Hensley McCain gave birth to her first three children: Meghan (born 1984), John Sidney IV (known as "Jack") (born 1986), and James (known as "Jimmy") (born 1988). By early 1984, she had moved back to Arizona; her parents lived across the street and helped her raise the children while her husband was frequently in Washington.

More on Cindy McCain


- - -

Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama (born January 17, 1964 is an American lawyer and the wife of Illinois senator, the 2008 Democratic presumptive nominee for President. She was born and grew up on the South Side of Chicago. Michelle Robinson was raised in a one-bedroom apartment on Chicago's South Shore. Of note is that she shared a "bedroom" with her brother, but it wasn't much of a bedroom. It was actually the living room with a divider down the middle. She was educated at Princeton University and Harvard Law School. After completing her formal education, she returned to Chicago and went to work for the law firm Sidley Austin, on the staff of the Mayor of Chicago Richard M. Daley, and for the University of Chicago and the University of Chicago Hospitals. She is the sister of Craig Robinson, men's basketball coach at Oregon State University. She met Barack when he came to work for Sidley Austin. The Obamas live on Chicago's South Side, choosing to remain there rather than moving to Washington, D.C. Michelle Robinson was born in Chicago, Illinois to Frasier Robinson (who died in 1990), a city water plant employee and Democratic precinct captain, and Marian Robinson, a secretary at Spiegel's catalog store. She grew up in the South Shore community area of Chicago, and was raised in a conventional two-parent home where the family convened around the dinner table nightly. She and her brother, Craig (who is 16 months older), skipped the second grade. Michelle mostly traces her roots to pre-revolutionary African Americans in the American South; much of her family still resides in the state of South Carolina. Michelle graduated from Whitney Young High School in 1981 and went on to major in sociology and minor in African American studies at Princeton University, where she graduated cum laude with an A.B. in 1985. At Princeton, she challenged the teaching methodology for French because she felt that it should be more conversational. As part of her requirements for graduation, she wrote a thesis entitled, "Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community." Her brother Craig was the fourth leading scorer in Princeton University's men's basketball history, and is both a former men's basketball coach and the current Oregon State Beavers men's basketball coach. She obtained her J.D. [Juris Doctorate] degree from Harvard Law School in 1988. While at Harvard, she participated in political demonstrations advocating the hiring of professors who are minorities. She met Barack Obama when they were the only two African Americans at their law firm and she was assigned to mentor him while he was a summer associate. Their relationship started with a business lunch and then a community organization meeting where he first impressed her. The couple's first date was to the Spike Lee movie Do the Right Thing. The couple married in October 1992, and they have two daughters, Malia Ann (born 1998) and Natasha (known as Sasha) (born 2001). Throughout the campaign she has made a "commitment to be away overnight only once a week — to campaign only two days a week and be home by the end of the second day" for their two children.

Read More on Michelle Obama


[photo courtesy of Yahoo News© 'Favorable Poll']
[info courtesy of Wikipedia]


24 comments :

  1. thanks for the drop at my place. we have the same mutterings for cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mutterings! We matched on #7. Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try the ORANGE SHERBET SMOOTHIE. Sounds yummy!! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should mix our weathers ! then it would be ideal !
    The lives of the two to be first ladies were so different ! Anyway I can't stand the McCain couple they look so artificial, they remind me of Barbie's granparents. And their smile looks like a publicity for toothpaste !BTW I have again something for your hubby, yesterday I made some pictures of the Waterloo battle soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool flower!

    Mine is up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Anni,
    You pack a lot into one post. I love the flowers, great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lantana BUSH! I haven't seen that - just the little plants. LOL. Sorry abou t Texas' drought and other bad weather. Sounds tough! Hope you (and your flowers) get that needed rain, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni, I haven't been able to be over here for a while and look at you MISS COOKBOOK!!

    This is really neat. I will be back soon to copy and paste these in our computer! They all look so good! On a hot summer day! WHOA! So cool going down!

    I have a few minutes to be out visiting so I had better keep on going!!! Love and hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Lantana Anni- I actually bought three of these plants yesterday as my yard really needs some summer blooming! I have a yellow, a multi color and a lavender one to get planted today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess I can't complain about the heat. Wait yes I can. June and temps in the 90s with humidity to match is no fun. I moved north to get away from that sort of thing and it followed me.

    Here's wishing you a nice cool rain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope some rain comes you way soon! Your little flowers don't seem too bothered by the lack of it though - they are quite healthy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea to give those recipes, I may need them too as the heat is now there. Not yet as hot as in Texas, but in a couple of weeks, I will have the same wishes as you!
    Beautiful lantana, and beautiful picture!
    Thanks for paying me a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great mutterings...........we thought the same for empty!!! :)

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative post today! I am glad I stopped by :)

    Great mutterings! Nicholas Cage is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have one match - nichlos.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Musterings we got few the same! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why I forgot Nicolas Cage in number 2 :) I love that guy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello dear Anni:-)

    I sure wish I could send you some of the rain we've been getting all week and again today...there's a storm approaching as I type so will need to get off the computer soon!! I don't think I could stand the kind of heat you get...if it's over 70 here, I wilt! lol

    Your Unconscious Mutterings answers are pretty much all the same ones I would have given. Yikes....we think so much alike! hehe

    It certainly will be interesting to see who will end up being First Lady in the next Presidential elections. I had heard that both these women had been on the View but I didn't watch it.

    Hope you're having a lovely Sunday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have that same color lantana here in Georgia. You know these plants and some others seem to thrive in drought times. We are the same as you. We need rain so so much. We just got our home painted today so now it can rain. We were expecting 50% rain today and wondering if we would get the house painted but it is done. Go see my blog if you have the time.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heheh … you had me chuckling at #1. Seems like we agreed on # 2 and part of #4. I can’t believe I didn’t think of Holly for Buddy. Wonderful response for Library!!!

    I used to grow Lantana at my previous home, but it doesn’t do well here in my yard here at the beach.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey sweetie, hope you are enjoying your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anni. This is an interesting post, full of all sorts of goodies.

    You have my sympathy with the drought...we have just come out of the worst one for 100 years. It will rain, believe me.

    Thanks for the info on both the probable first ladies. I am admirer of Michelle Obama. I haven't heard of the other lady, but have read a couple of interesting articles on Mrs Obama.

    Thanks for a most interesting and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel your drought pain! Even the lantana here are struggling under our extreme heat. We've had over 11 days now of temps over 110, and two days at 117. However, our humidity is around 8% right now, which supposedly helps. Though I'm a native Arizonan, I hate the summers more and more as I get older. Given my druthers, I think I'd prefer San Diego--if I could get past the California politics.
    Happy GTS,
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's hot and humid and also very dry here as well, Anni. We desperately need some rain, but our drought isn't as bad here as it is in your area.

    I love lantana but have never tried to grow it. I'm not sure why, because it grows well here. Yours is gorgeous, drought and all.

    Thanks for your well wishes. I'm still feeling drained and a bit icky from time to time. Oh well, this too shall pass, I'm sure.

    Have a great new week, Anni. :o)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

.