my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




~THURSDAY THIRTEEN

Come on, ask me what kinda week I've had? I know you're curious!
Okay...
"What kinda week HAVE you had Anni?"

Glad you asked!!







My closet floor...old CDs strewn everywhere






The computer room floor the last 4 days

[not to mention what the desk looks like]



1] Monday Morning...computer broke!

2] Monitor notice while the hard drive was booting up:
    "You're a dummy girlfriend...your hard drive power is fried!!"

    :::hard drive dies right there in front of me:::


3] Still Monday morning...just later:
    "Okay, get your coffee drank my dear, I need to get to the 24 hour Wal Mart...NOW!"


4] ...new computer hooked up: Logging in to my blog! Got my Fun Monday posted. Now, it's time to begin the new set up!

5] Monday afternoon, late, still trying to figure out this Windows Vista. "Where the heck are my downloads going? Could this BE more weird?

6] Monday evening after dinner: "Vista Sucks", so says our son, the professor, in an email....I believe him!!

7] Tuesday morning, phone rings, it's Erik the professor:
    "I've got ten bonus questions on my students' test I'm giving on Friday, wanna hear 'em?" I say: "Ya, that'll give me a bit of a "new computer woes diversion". "Bring it on."

    He says: 'Who said? “I have never wished death upon anyone, but I have read many an obituary with a deal of satisfaction.”' And I respond: "Oh give me a more difficult one willya?" "You know I know that one!" "It's Mark Twain". Our son: "Okay", :::laughing::: "Do you know this one?" "There are blue reflectors along streets in American cities; what is their purpose? Me: "Hmmmmm, dunno. What IS their purpose?" Son: "They are for fire stations/firefighters. When they're out on call, and they see the blue reflectors, they know that THIS area has a fire hydrant." Me: "Wow, that's interesting."


8] A continual search for Windows Vista compatible software/downloads. I realized I no longer had an FTP server shortcut on the new computer. Well, guess. Yep, my memory[brain, not computer memory] and Google Search found "Not Windows Vista Compatible." So I had to continue online and find my Ipswitch FTP Server and install a newer one. :::sigh:::

9] Wednesday, early morning, Irene calls. Our daughter says:
    "Erik tells me you got a new computer...way cool". Me: "Ya, but this new version of Windows is gettin' to me!" "I find nothing compatible, nor are all my favorite programs in need of being re-installed onto the new computer." "I'll be days at this; weeks even." "Maybe, I'm thinking way into 2008 before I get it going like I want it." If only Vista would be cooperative, with ME!!"

    Irene: "Give it time Mom. You remember the days that you were learning computer, don'tcha?" "You've learned a lot in the last ten years or so....you'll get it all back the way you want it, and love it."


10] Okay this 'beep' I'm getting every time I click 'okay' or 'install' or 'download' is gettin' on my nerves...:::thinking::: Just how the heck do I shut this noise [sound effect] off? I can't remember, but I'm gonna find out! Another thing I just realize is that all my favorite MP3 downloads are on the OLD computer. :::deep sigh::: And besides, I haven't even begun to think of hookin' up the speakers yet.

11] "It's THURSDAY already?"

12] I'm wondering: "Is it possible to remove the hard drive from the old computer and put it in the new computer so I can copy all the files/folders I want on the NEW one?"

13] "Bud? Hand me that six pack of Corona you stashed in the 'fridge!" "It's gotta be 5 PM somewhere in the world!!" "And, don't even bother with the iced mugs in the freezer....I want a cool one, and I want it now." "No, I NEED one now."

33 comments :

  1. Aw. I am so sorry you are having Vista woes. I went through that earlier this year, but gave Ornery all the headaches. He is the guru around here. Now that I have it mostly like I like it, I love the OS. The old programs that I have upgraded to the Vista OS are fabuloso, too. I love the new word and publisher programs. Give it some time, and once you get everything all loaded up, it should be a very happy machine.
    TM
    (my TT is up, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes during the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Vista sucks the big one. I'm having to deal with its issues now. I'm getting a new computer, one with an older operating system on it. I HATE VISTA. Your son is 100% right.

    My Thursday Thirteen #3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you soon have everything back to the way it was.

    Happy tt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni, Bless your heart!! This has to be so frustrating for you!!
    I had a good report from my lab report today and I was so happy!! Love and Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now if that was happening to me Hootin Anni I would have asked for a stiffer drink than a corona! Happy TT and I hope it all works out for you very sooooooon! At least before the 6 pak is gone...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a filled week. By the way, I might join your 12 Christmas Meme if you don't mind. We'll let you know when it's up. I've got 12 things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobody seems to have a good word to say about Windows Vista. I shall cling to XP for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I don't have VISTA> BUt, I hope everything goes smooth from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby has Vista on his new laptop.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear of your pc woes. Vista takes some getting used to. I have had it for about 5 months and I am liking it now. Once I got firefox. The whole vista browser was to Yahoo for me. You might try taking the old hard drive to a geek to see if they can put your files on a flash drive. The drive is about $20. You can then just upload everything to new pc. Don't know how I ever got along without one. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ewwww....I'd heard that Vista sucks, that is the reason why I am so waiting to get a computer. Thinking about changing to an Apple.

    Happy TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was told how much vista sucked... ! :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. secret agent mama12/05/2007

    I have Vista on my laptop and love it. But, I do hear a lot of ppl have problems with it. Hope it gets sorted out Anni!

    Mine's up here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vista woes, oh my!!! Your blogging about your new computer and Vista makes me dread the day when I have to upgrade to that version of windows.

    You're smart - you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LMAO...you poor thing. I loved #13...mind if I join you??? Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard the VISTA frustration rumors.

    The hubby said we are sticking with XP

    ReplyDelete
  18. My boss has Vista on his new laptop, and he keeps calling me to get things figure out. I hate it. But I guess you'll get used to it. Good luck, Anni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vista sucks!!!!!!! I totally agree! Our old laptop died in August and we got a new one, I've been lamenting Vista ever since.

    My Thursday Thirteen is up too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry to hear of your computer woes. I'm hoping my computer will last forever - or at least long enough that they get the bugs worked out of Vista before I get it.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anni, Hope you get your computer up and running soon , I hear a lot of people complaining about vista. ill also hang on to xp as long as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Morning Anni,
    Wow, sorry you have had such a hard time with your new computer. Well you've got me thinking now. If I ever get a new computer,I may not need to get a Windows Vista. I've heard several people say they didn't like it. I have a Windows ME and it is 7 years old. There are no updates for it anymore. I know it is going to die soon. I feel it in my bones. I do hope you can get the hang of it tho. It's a cold 28 degrees with a windchill of 22 here this morning. My morning coffee is sure tasting good right now. Well, take care my friend and have a great Thursday. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sooooooooo putting off getting Vista. I like mine just fine. Sounds like a crazy weeks for you.
    Have a good one!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now I am tired by only reading this, lol !
    Do you know who is doing Fun Monday next ? Couldn't find anything on Robinella's blog. In two hours I will pick up little Rosie she has been spayed today poor thing !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have heard this so many times before and it makes me hope and pray that my computer stays healthy!! I would not want all of that hassle. It sounds like to me that it is not at all friendly!! GREAT!! Sorry about this week but maybe in the end things will be okay..just WHERE IS THE END??? Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anni, off subject, but I just posted the 12 questions meme.

    Thanks for thinking of it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it. I did the Vista thing this spring and I cussed most of the time. I still don't like Vista, but we get along most of the time. I'll take one of those Corona's. Have a great TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni,

    I dread the thought of ever having to buy a new computer. This one is my second one and it took a lot of getting used to. My first one had Windows '98. This one is XP. I've heard Vista sucks. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. It isn't easy getting everything up and running like we want it to and with my writing, I need to have Word, which most places here do not offer.

    I hope things are up and working just the way you want them in the near future.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope today finds you working things out with vista...it is a learning process...I have my laptop with Vista and I am learning something everyday.When I try to print from my laptop , it will not work.I am missing something. Thanks for my gift and I will place in my sidebar now.
    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! Hottin Anni my worst nightmare!! You seem to have taken it with some laughs though...I'd like to know the answer to your last question about the hard drive...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know I already said this before but you can email me if you need more direct advice. lisaschaos at yahoo dot com Anyway, you can take the hard drive out of your old computer and put it a neat little case they sell at places like Best Buy then attach it to your new computer via a USB cord and retrieve much of what you need. Sure makes life easier and you lose less. Fingers crossed for you.

    I'm really not having any issues with Vista. It is a little different but so far I have no complaints. I've had my new laptop about 2 weeks now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I like your story with your show & tell pictures.

    http://jendisjournal.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

.