“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes








THIRTEEN THINGS I DO TO STOP & SMELL THE ROSES -i.e., "Slow down and enjoy living".
...tho, I admit I do enjoy a lot of the "material" things, but above all without those, ----

1) I sit outdoors and drink in the sounds of nature.
2) I see the sunrise each day I can and enjoy it as if it's the first one I've seen!
3) I smile and laugh at jokes.
4) I feel entertained with our cats' antics and playfulness.
5) I love to watch a child take small baby steps -on his way to learn and be free at the same time.
6) I can sit and watch a butterfly flit here and there, and the beauty never escapes me.
7) I place value and appreciate water, the fragrance of a flower, the fruit of the tree, the food in our cupboard...
8) I love a quiet walk
9) I can giggle with the 'laughing sounds' of a seagull
10) I love to watch the immenseness of the full moon peek over the horizon. It reminds me just how small I am!
11) I fear things as I should. I revere things as I should. I respect things/people as I should.
12) I cry; when I do, I'm not ashamed of my action.
13) I love the tender sight of a newborn's hand wrapped around the parents' finger.


<><><>

I read this a while ago, and thought it could be re-posted so I can come back and read it over and over. It's so true of today's times. And it's sad to think about each and every one living the life we do live and not enjoy a whole day of happiness. We don't appreciate the things that can make us smile because we're too busy tending to what society hands us. Watching people, listening to radio talk shows, viewing television, reading newspapers and magazine articles shows me that the human race is on high gear and heading for a colossal crash landing if we don't slow down and reflect on what life should be. For me, I take a step backwards and say to myself...cherish the small things in life ....LIVE a little!!!

<>....<>....<>

It all reads:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways but narrower viewpoints.

We spend more but have less, we buy more but enjoy less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences but less time.

We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge but less judgment, more experts yet more problems, more medicine but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values.

We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living but not a life.

We've added years to life, not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.

We conquered outer space but not inner space.

We've done larger things but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air but polluted the soul.

We've conquered the atom but not our prejudice.

We write more but learn less.

We plan more but accomplish less.

We've learned to rush but not to wait.

We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships.

These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses but broken homes.

These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom.

~ ~Written-Spoken by the Rev. Robert Moorehead


Some may consider the above write-up "urban legend" ---but, for me-- how most of the above is 'close to reality'; urban legend or not!! I've oftentimes blurted out "educated dummies" and some such ironically agreeable words about those college grads that can't add and subtract, and so on and so forth. Sad, but true. There is so much to learn from this 'myth'.



15 comments :

  1. Hey, I'm right there with ya, Hootin' Anni -- my blog is similar ;0 HAPPY TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very true words indeed!!!

    Reminds me of an old quote:

    "The hole world is a lot of miracles, but we are so used to them, that we see them as everyday events". (H C Andersen)

    I've not fixed your A-Team badge with the new photo yet, but I will!
    Totally fine with me with the change of photo!

    How about coming over and have some Rocket Fuel Soup? *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice lists you have here!!! Happy TT:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so true. You are also very fast. I came over for WW and got 13 already! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I about had a heart-attack when I opened up your blog! :)

    Great list! As a society, we are in such a hurry all the time. Thank you for the reminders!

    www.chelleyoung.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww..that is a great list of simple pleasures! I got your message about show and tell. Would you like me to add your name to Mr. Linky? Just let me know! I wish you the best of luck with your procedure Friday morning!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much agree to all 13 points except I don't like walking ! I am very lazy for that. I love to sit around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely list to make us stop and think (and smell the roses). It's a wonderful list to re-read as needed...
    Happy TT, love your new template :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Hootin' Annie! I am all for slowing down and heightening our awareness of the world around us. I've posted about 13 new habits I'm currently trying to adopt and quite a few are along these lines. Would love to hear what you thought of them. You can find them here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning , your list fits all of us in someway.. I need to work on my "Patience".... Have a great day.
    Baba

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree! We want, want, want and take, take, take but we've lost sight of sharing, caring, and what life is really about.

    I think the moon is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well... I don't know how it could be considered "urban legend" since it is not a story - but an opinion. But I sure do agree with it!

    Anni, my prayers are with you for tomorrow. I hope all goes well, and that soon you don't have to slow down to smell the roses unless you WANT to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hootin' Anni9/27/2007

    Melli? Thanks for the good wishes...and the story is FOUND in the 'urban legends' with Google search. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice TT. Good luck with your procudeure. My sister had svt for years and she had this procedure done a few years ago and is very happy with the resutls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hootin' Anni9/27/2007

    Vixen: Thanks for leaving the comment. I've heard 99% of the stories of others having great results. Only one negative so far. I hope mine's one of the procedures that help me. You made my day!!

    ReplyDelete

.