“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






We come home from our Sunday brunch yesterday, and unlocked the door---stepped in the kitchen, only to find a couple of bad cats. Both know [at least when we're home] that being up on the kitchen counter is an absolute 'no-no'! But did it phase them one bit that we caught 'em in the act of being typical?! Nah! I don't think so. And they remained.

I hung the keys on the key holder, set down my driving glasses, and emptied my pockets on the counter....did they move? Well, maybe an eye-opening wink or two! Perhaps a stretch and a yawn. But, did they jump down, even with my reprimanding them that they're not to be up where food is prepared? Again, not one bit. I even had the audacity to think they'd jump down as soon as I went into the computer room to grab the camera, load it, and turn it on. Usually, when they hear the whine of the digital lens motor, they scurry away---nope, not on your life! Not this time!!

*THEIR NEW THEME SONG*
[a parody of Will Smith's Bad Boys]

Chorus
Bad cats, bad cats
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When we're home catchin' you
(Repeat)

Bad cats
Whatcha want, watcha want
Whatcha gonna do
When Hootin' Anni come for you
Tell me
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna dooo


And that's the 'tail' of my Monday morning, as I mumble out to the kitchen to rinse my orange juice glass. How the heck I found a white long cat hair floating on top, I'll never know---no, we didn't cook last night, we went out to Cracker Barrel for their chicken. So, I guess the counter wasn't wiped off at all yesterday. *shrug*


<><><>



Today, in America, the citizens and families remember those who perished protecting our freedoms and country...

Eternal God,
Creator of years, of centuries,
Lord of whatever is beyond time,
Maker of all species and master of all history --
How shall we speak to you
from our smallness and inconsequence?
Except that you have called us to worship you
in spirit and in truth;
You have dignified us with loves and loyalties;
You have lifted us up with your lovingkindnesses.
Therefore we are bold to come before you without groveling
[though we sometimes feel that low]
and without fear
[though we are often anxious].
We sing with spirit and pray with courage
because you have dignified us;
You have redeemed us from the aimlessness
of things' going meaninglessly well.
God, lift the hearts of those
for whom this holiday is not just diversion,
but painful memory and continued deprivation.
Bless those whose dear ones have died
needlessly, wastefully [as it seems]
in accident or misadventure.
We remember with compassion those who have died
serving their countries
in the futility of combat.
There is none of us but must come to bereavement and separation,
when all the answers we are offered
fail the question death asks of each of us.
We believe that you will provide for us
as others have been provided with the fulfillment of
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."


copyrighted: Rev. Dick Kozelka

For me and my family, my great-great-grandfather died from complications of his wounds during the Civil War. My uncle, who was a 'belly-gunner' over Norwich England during WWII --his B-17 was shot down over the English Channel --he too died from his wounds. A dearly beloved sweetheart of my high school days --went off to Viet Nam. He was "Special Forces" --killed in action.

I also salute with pride - all survive but one, each defended U S A
my brother - United States Army
my brother - United States Air Force
my brother - United States Marine Corps [deceased]
my husband - United States Navy
my son - United States Marine Corps
[my ex-sil] - United States Marine Corps

AND---to honor the UNKNOWN

<><><>

6 comments :

  1. This is the proof of our human authority ! why should they jump down they stayed there so well while you were away, lol ! Mr. Gattino calls our cats "flying cats" because they are alway high up not in the mountains but on the furniture !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats with attitude! hehe When I had a cat at home while growing up, so help it if mom ever caught it on the table or countertop!! I was always on cat duty, making sure it didn't! lol xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I've got that blasted Bad Boys song in my head!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, at least it wasn't like Phoebes (in Friends)"Smelly cat, smelly cat..." *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naughty kitties! I've had that experience, too! Talk about a don't care attitude...

    Memorial Day...a lovely day to give thanks, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have bad kitties as well..but i love them...

    ReplyDelete

.