“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






For approximately fifteen years now, I've had to deal with Supraventricular Tachycardia Symptoms. Of which I experienced it once again last night from around 8 PM to around 11 PM.

What it is deals with the heart rhythms. A rapid heart beat rate of over 150 beats a minute. Without stopping most times, without doing something to help myself and my heart rate.

My cardiologist in Tucson, Dr. Paul Bejarano, was very helpful with my 'condition' and was always P O'd with me 'cause I never quit smoking.

But---that's not the point here. I wanted to share with you what I experience. The cardiologist was astounded when I told him I know when it's coming before it begins! He was aghast....and one time while I had a visit with him for my quarterly exam, I felt one coming on....he was in the examining room with me. He spun around after I said "I'll be having an episode any time now". He quickly stepped up to me, lifted my shirt up....placed his stethoscope all over as my heart raced!! As I lay there on the table, feeling queasy and faint, he continued with his examination---

When at last it stopped with the help of an injection, he let me rest a few minutes, and then came back in. He said, "I've never had anyone who can tell when it is coming"..."When it's going to start with the arrhythmia." He sat down. Brought over to me with him, a chart of the heart. He told me just where the SVT was located, with me, individually. [I've always been acutely aware of everything about my body!]

There is a node in the left section of my heart that is causing the rapid rate episodes. He also told me that it could be life threatening or then it may not. It all depends on me and him educating me. He also told me there is one way to stop it permanently...he explained that they go down the throat...into the heart, and cauterize the node.



Well, right there I stopped him when I said "I don't like the words "stop it permanently". That, to me sounded a bit permanent, ya know?

So, after he explained it all to me, and to quit smoking and drinking and W A L K!! I left with his exercise list and another appointment for a nutritionist that he had set up there in the office while he was with me...

I was to eat better. No salt [or at least so many mg of sodium a day only], more potassium filled foods such as fresh veggies and more fruits. And she too advised the walking daily....slow walking, nothing fast that would bring up the heart rate again, just walk, walk, walk!!

Now, to tell you the truth, I spent a couple other nights, overnight, in the hospital there because of the SVT. I've had times when I can't get it under control with the 'exercises' to control the heart rate --of which I feel I shouldn't really share here 'cause it's between YOU and your DOCTOR...so, I don't feel right in saying do this, or do that ----'cause each individual must do what's right for them!!! Nor taking advice from a friend on any over the counter meds---or how to exercise or diet---things like that. Remember, you are an individual and advice from a friend isn't a good thing...Work with your doctor on anything when it deals with your health.

Other times, I've been lucky enough to do the physical stuff to control the heart rate ---and 'shock it' into a regular rhythm again.

This past week, I've had an inkling another episode was coming on. Queasy, light headed, and very tired....this was the prelude to my SVT attack last night. I have a monitor here at home....the heart rate 187 beats per minute....blood pressure 181/104....some bad stuff!!!!

One time, the rate dropped to 124...which wasn't bad. But mind you, with the medications I'm on, my normal rate is anywhere from 57-70 beats per minute. Then, the heart raced up to 164 beats per minute....I was tiring out by then, about 1 whole hour of heart racing really tires a person!!

I finally resorted to laying down, remaining calm and thinking positive thoughts. Mind over matter....I fell asleep.

And praise be, I'm here this morning typing about it. First thing this morning before I even got up out of bed...I took my vitals...120/68 with a pulse of 68.

Perhaps it will not be brought up again for a while....who knows!! But, it can get hairy and scary sometimes!!!

Today, and for about three more days, I'll be very tired. I will rest and take it easy. Maybe walk on the beach.



13 comments :

  1. Oh sugar get the surgery done. You'll feel soo much better. My husbands' close friend Tim had the EXACT problem. He had the surgery and is like a new man. He had this done about 3 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! DO take care Anni! Sending prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni! I'm sorry to hear about your health condition and I hope that it can be treated soon. I'll be praying for you. I think it's amazing how you could predict an episode. Perhaps that's a positive thing because it will give you time to ask for help when you feel it coming. Wishing you well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, I'd never heard of this before and I'm so glad you explained it all to me. Only once have I ever had my heart racing like that and that was at the dentist office after he'd injected the stuff to freeze my tooth...I thought my heart was going to come right out of my chest! For some reason I had reacted to it and he had to hold me and talk me through it until it went back to normal. So...I can't even imagine you going through this for hours on end...I remember how completely exhausted I was afterwards!! Is there any way you would change your mind and have the surgery? Best of luck!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your episode last evening. Hope you rethink the surgery. I'm a strong believer of if it can be fixed, do it.

    I'm going to try your runzas this evening. Sounds yummy.

    I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came here to find your photo hunters entry (I'm running late -- it was a bust weekend) and was surprised to see this. I experience the same thing. It started maybe 8 years ago. The first two times it stopped on its own but most of the times since then I've had to go to the ER to get the injection -- I just hate the way that makes me feel and the whole ER business. But I'd rather not have the surgery either -- it just sounds so risky to me. I was told mine in essence wasn't so big a deal -- it needs to eb brought down, of course, once it starts racing, but I could try various things at home for an hour before going to the ER (though I usually go sooner than that because it just feels miserable). But my husband's colleague who also had it was advised to get surgery soon because he could have a stroke. I wonder if it depends on what part of the heart is affected. I was told having the surgery was up to me -- if it wasn't happening very often and I wanted to just deal with each episode that was fine, but if it was happening a lot and interfering with ,my life I might want to go on and have surgery. It happens less than once a year so now I am fine just dealing with it as it happens. I've never been able to tell it was coming, though. I have what I call "little episodes" where my heart starts thumping, but is headed off before getting worse. But the times it has gone into a full-blown SVT, it has caught me unawares and happened all of a sudden.

    Do rest and take it easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very scary. Take care of yourself!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pray you are feeling better now.
    Please take care of yourself.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my now I'm afraid to comment after that spammer above.

    Do look after yourself Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. * *I'm not sure just what hit my blog comments last night, but I opened it this morning, and there was a comment left by anon---and it was 'miles' long.

    Preaching to me! And oh how I hate that!!!! Not only about god, but political views, horrendous language, and things of an off-nature verbage!!

    So, now, I will moderate my comments. Only because of the spamming I got here. It's really sad to have such people who dare to leave such nonsense and make people like me upset enough to have to go to extremes!!

    Sad!! And to the 'anon' who blatantly left the 5 page comment!?!----Hope you're pleased with yourself!!!!* *

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Baba was telling me about you this morning at Curves. I have been gone all day and just got here to read about it. Golly, you need to do exactly what you doctor tells you to do. Whatever he thinks is the RIGHT thing I would go for it. Take care Anni...Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Anni,

    I'm sorry to hear of your health problems....scary is definitely the right word here...I'll be praying for you to make a quick recovery. We need you around here!

    I know you don't want to hear this, but surgery might be a good option for you. What do they say," temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement"?

    I'll be thinking of you and wishing you nothing but the best, for you certainly deserve it.

    Hugz, dear lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds really scary.

    Just popped over to thank you for letting me know I'm on the 50 & bloggin blogroll. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

    ReplyDelete

.