my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Something Old...Something New...Something Drawn, Something Blue---

---blue and pink [And adorable]

Something Drawn...

SKETCH - For the past few weeks, off and on, I've picked up my sketch pad and worked on a pencil drawing of our late pretty kitty...Tahoe. In fact I used the black and white photo that is now on my blog's sidebar for reference. I just could not capture her personality in my sketch, and I think I will quit while I'm ahead and it resembles her even tho not quite what I wanted. She continues to be in my thoughts each and every day!


Something Old and Something New...

BOOKS - I finally finished the newly published book "Caroline" Little House Revisited. I must say, it was not what I expected at all! For me, highly disappointing. Of course, I think I more or less expected it to be near the stories that  were on TV. But, Caroline Ingalls, in the book, was too whiny, too passive, too blazé. Yet, thinking about the time frame and moving from one small town in the east to "Indian Territory" on the prairies of Kansas and the frontier moving west, I should have surmised it would be a bit slow and boring. Still, I wanted to finish the saga, which I did...the two chapters that were highlights were chapters 12 [crossing the flooded river in the covered wagon] and 24 [the surprise gift from Charles that he made for Caroline]. The rest of the book? Eh!! Charles, Laura, Mary and the newborn, Carrie were very close in TV characters. There was even Mr. Edwards...he too came across a bit familiar. Other than this...I can't recommend the book to anyone.  The reviews are mixed, averaging about 3 stars out of 5.  I would give it about  2, if that much.

As with most of my recent books read, I also added this review at Hootin' Anni's Book Critiques

- - -

After that book, I began reading a book that my sister sent me....Lilac Girls. I have been thoroughly enjoying this. It too is a fictionalized historic novel of 1939/Hitler/Ravensbrück era.

Then, Bud and I went to the bookstore to peruse the shelves. While he was in the French and history section [Napoleon], I was walking around the new books. One caught my eye. A Gregory Maguire book! A favorite author of mine!!! He is best known for his OZ adult adventures [his best seller, Wicked, is now a Broadway show]. This new book of his is about the Nutcracker. A good book for the upcoming holidays I think. Of course, with his writing style, I'm sure there will be twists and turns of the unexpected kind; written for the adult age group...The bookstore had 20% off of an autographed edition. I grabbed it and brought it home with me. It is with great anticipation that I finish Lilac Girls and begin the saga of Hiddensee
    ...from the website: Having brought his legions of devoted readers to Oz in Wicked and to Wonderland in After Alice, Maguire now takes us to the realms of the Brothers Grimm and E. T. A. Hoffmann-- the enchanted Black Forest of Bavaria and the salons of Munich. Hiddensee imagines the backstory of the Nutcracker, revealing how this entrancing creature came to be carved and how he guided an ailing girl named Klara through a dreamy paradise on a Christmas Eve. At the heart of Hoffmann's mysterious tale hovers Godfather Drosselmeier-- the ominous, canny, one-eyed toy maker made immortal by Petipa and Tchaikovsky's fairy tale ballet-- who presents the once and future Nutcracker to Klara, his goddaughter.

Something Blue [and pink]...

CUTE - What a talented mother to dress her daughter as a Troll Doll for Halloween.  It's been a sensation after the morning news program showed a video...[this is NOT my photo, I hope I'm not doing harm by showing this,,.it's gone viral over the past few days,,,. No copyright infringement is intended.]

courtesy of Yahoo News

24 comments :

  1. Your sketchmay not be what you were trying for but I think it's amazing.
    Somehow I cant imagine Caroline Ingalls as whiney.
    That troll costume is adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it was quite disappointing

      Delete
  2. That is such a disappointment to look forward to reading and book only to find it’s a dud! I read Lilac Girls right after Christmas last year. While there were parts that were just too horrible for me, I gave it 5 stars because it was so good.
    I still miss several of my long gone animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That subject has always interested me.

      Delete
  3. Like that cute little kitty and the troll costume too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute troll! Glad to see your review of Caroline...I would have been tempted to check it out at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it'd be good. Not! Just so, so.

      Delete
  5. This is the cutest little troll that I have ever seen. What a brilliant Halloween idea! I have not heard about these books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the Tahoe sketch is AMAZING! I would so much love to have just the talent you have in one finger. cute troll.. my growing up years any time I got a gift, it was a book, I have loved reading since I was five and loved the fairy tales. your sister knows you well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a very talented person, Anni, and I too love that little troll! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything by Gregory Maguire but soon will. We have a new and large and easily accessible library just a couple of miles away and will put my name on the list for his materials. I grew up with Grimm tales and still have some ancient ones saved as they are my favorites since early childhood. Thanks for my enlightenment and, I'm sure, future enjoyable reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My all-time favorite is WICKED!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you filled us in about Caroline...I may have to skip that one. I am very interested in reading Lilac Girls though and plan to in the near future. There is a new book about Laura Ingalls Wilder that looks promising though. I want to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of the new L I WILDER book.

      Delete
  11. I think your sketch of Tahoe is really good, but of course you were very close to the subject!
    I was thinking of picking up the Caroline book, but now I'm thinking not. Another friend said about the same in her review to me.
    Cute troll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari. I don't think you'd miss out not reading Caroline.

      Delete
  12. Gregory Maguire...i have it somewhere in my TBR pile of book. Saw the cover and it attracted my attention. Yea...book cover does play a role ...not all goes by the saying do not judge a book by its cover

    ReplyDelete

.