my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


A Quarter of a Million Dollars Raised!!

Literally, thousands attended!!! - - - I timed myself. The 5K Heart Walk took me 65 minutes to complete...I walked at a leisurely pace because of the temperature and humidity. Not too bad-a-time since the heat of the day was building up before we were given the "start walking" signal!! For those that wanted, a little break was taken to stop and have a picture taken as a "selfie"...but it wasn't a selfie...some of the volunteers along the route was willing to take photos of us if you wanted to be photographed. Along the way, we were handed water, fruits filled with potassium -bananas and oranges- to keep our bodies from losing the electrolytes that are sweated out.  I only accepted the bottled water...no need lugging any extra weight!!  And the humidity was high for the month of October...so, sweat came easily!!

If you read between the lines above, it took forever to get the show on the road to the finish line! What with all the ceremonial pre-walk venue, I thought all the talk would NEVER get done! I came to walk. LOL


We had our last lap around the ball field and sat to cool down on the bleachers to listen to the closing remarks by the emcee...the individual and team participants raised over a quarter million dollars!! I was impressed. Makes my $100. pledge seem like a mere pittance. After the registration and sending in my pledged donation to the cause, prior to the walk, I was handed a "Survivor" ball cap that morning. And that cap came in handy along the way [especially the first half of the route since the morning sun was beating down on my head and shoulders!!] Here is a recap of what I saw waiting near the starting gate, and during the walk...



...for the children and young at heart...
[the stingray is mascot for the Corpus Christi Ice-Rays -hockey team]


The Flag Raising, the National Anthem and a small crowd gathering at the Ball Field Opening Gate.  The Whataburger Field is the farm team for the Houston Astros [The Corpus Christi Hooks], where, on the exterior walls of the ball park...

...Jose Altuve trained and has become a star athlete for the Astros this season [he is in contention for MLB's most valuable player!]






...then, near the end of the heart walk: My selfie and the ball park lap to end the day. [above the bleachers, the circular walkway, there are participants walking the path to end their walk]





32 comments :

  1. A successful day all around. You did good with your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the one thing I noticed all the way through the slideshow of photos was COLOR so much wonderful vibrant brilliant color. wild clapping for your 65 minute walk. my fav photo today is the last one of the empty chairs. love it.... and all that money raised gets a standing ovation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount raised during the morning was just mind boggling!!!

      Delete
  3. You look pretty darn fabulous, Anni. Congratulations on your time and determination. Getting those steps in every day has made the difference, don't you think? Thanks for the great pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D J....and thanks for strolling along with me.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful day... you do well with the heat... I am still using the treadmill. With the humidity today, they say it will feel over 100 degrees> Does me in totally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't like the heat much, but can 'tolerate' that much more than humidity!

      Thanks Mr. B

      Delete
  5. Hello, kudos to you for finishing the walk and what a great charity. Great photos of you and the event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! So proud of you and the money raised. I enjoy your pictures very much. It's a rainy Monday in GA. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take some of your rain please!!

      Thank you Mildred.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your successful completion of the walk. It is wonderful that this AHA walk raised such an amount and will continue to do its job of saving lives. You are and continue to be a great representative of a recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Ms. G. Yes, it truly is for a good cause.

      Delete
  8. a wonderful event. congrats on your time. you did good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, I LOVE it!!! You did so good, and WOW, so much money was raised. Those poor people in the character costumes must have been sweating bullets! I believe all your previous walking really helped. Hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing....costumes on such a day are truly uncomfortable to say the LEAST!!

      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  10. This is so great you participated

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enlarge my iPad then it freezes?? Looks like y'all had lots of fun. Yes they talk a lot at these events

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With mobile devices ... things don't do well when viewing. I have had that happen to me too with everyone's blogs.

      Delete
  12. Anni yay you for such a great time on the 5K. We thoroughly enjoyed your photos of the surroundings and the blue sky.

    Mom says I'm as stubborn as a mule when it comes to pills. We did check into having them compounded into another form. OMCs it would be in liquid from mixed in with almond oil cause that is sweet and the cerenia is bitter. but it would $250.00 for a month's supply and WHAT if I hated the taste.?
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's expensive for an alternative! Thanks M&M

      Delete
  13. Good for you - you did great! The pictures are pretty, such a bright clear day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like a very worthwhile event, good for you in joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula...it was hot...but fun too.

      Delete
  15. That's really wonderful! I'm so proud of you...and that's a good time too! Well done! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane!! Your words are very encouraging.

      Delete

.