my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


2nd Update...

Of course by now, Hurricane Harvey is 'old news', but just a bit more on our experience then I will get on with things other than the weather and effects of the aftermath of the category 4 storm.

Obviously, our power is once again on and I'm so happy. It went out Friday afternoon, a week ago, and they now have it hooked up for us as of Saturday morning at 11a.m. It seriously took me to actually call the Texas State Attorney General to get some action. You see, ALL of the two subdivisions had power as of last Tuesday...except for four homes...ours included. After 5 calls throughout the week and a run-around spiel from those I made contact with; they kept giving me [and the other 3 neighbors involved] the same thing. "Your power will be restored tonight by 10 pm". And then, next morning...still no power after the promises of restoring and not doing so. I got fed up with this 'crap' and Friday - a whole week of scorching temps outside with no air conditioning at home inside, I finally said "Enough!!" I'm calling the Attorney General"!!! I did. And afterward, when I hung up with that office, I called the Texas Utilities Commission and then the power company that is responsible for restoring power...American Electric Power of Texas, and told them that the Attorney General has been informed about the absence of workers helping our measly 4 homes in the subdivision that are still without power!! They showed up first thing Saturday morning, bright and early and had power restored to us within a couple of hours! Why on earth they didn't come out the first day is beyond me!!! And yes, I realize that we weren't the ONLY ones without power [nearly the entire city was affected]...but thing is, they were out here two days after Harvey but neglected our four homes!! All others had power.

I had to see if the computer and cable connection booted up this afternoon. I am now going to do mountains of laundry and clean out our stinking refrigerator to stock up again with food and staples.

Will write up a post tomorrow I hope.

In the meantime, think of Bud and I trying to catch up on all the sleep we've missed out on for the last 8 days.

34 comments :

  1. Oh Anni, I can so relate to your situation. During and after Hurricane Ike, we were without power for an extended period. I am so glad you have air conditioning and lights again. Keep us posted on your post Harvey recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the air conditioning mostly! lol

      Thanks Florence

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you are back on the power grid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy you have it back and sad/angry you had to call all those people, makes no sense since they fixed the others. a week without a refrigerator is worse than internet. we LIVE out of our fridge, almost every thing we eat. and the thought of these temps without power is a horror. I wonder if you had left for a couple of weeks if it would still be off when you came back without them being prodded. welcome back to the world. all those effected will be feeling it for months and years..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny tho, as of today, we've replenished what we could from the skimpy shelves at the stores, but we've gone out to eat or brought home food from the fast food places. Typical.

      Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  4. Hello, being without power is awful. We have done it a few times here both in the winter and in the summer. I am glad your power is on and hopefully can be back to normal with your daily lives. My prayers go out to all the storm victims in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normalcy is slowly returning. Thanks Eileen

      Delete
  5. Yes being without electric is not fun. glad you are back on and catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...slowly catching up. Thanks so much Felicia

      Delete
  6. You sure know how to get results! I would have not known who to call or what to do, other than the power company. So glad all is well now. Go shopping and sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Attorney General and the consumer advocate at his office is THE place to go when a last ditch effort is needed. Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni! Been thinking and praying for you - o glad to hear from you and glad you know how to get power restored too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of effort and plenty of complaints filed from me to get it hooked back up. But worth it in the long run.
      Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  8. Glad to know you are okay. I know its miserable here in Texas without A/C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Sometimes it takes action like you took into your own hands. Well done, Annie. And welcome back to the world. Glad you could actually get into your place. I'm smiling big. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna take a lot more 'doing' to get me to smile. Once our privacy fence is up and new, I'll be happier. lol

      Thanks D J

      Delete
  10. I am glad to see you are back in action and that you have power...I hate to think how long you would have waited if you had not taken action. You would think they would want to come back and do you just to have one area completely done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What made me upset was the fact they were in our vicinity 2 days AFTER the storm, and neglected to finish the job back then.

      Thanks Rose

      Delete
  11. So glad you had the clout to call the Attorney General! I would not have known to do that!
    I.cannot.even.imagine. all you and Bob went through with a week of no power! Love and prayers for you as you both recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts Linda!!

      Delete
  12. Glad you finally got power back. I go crazy if it's out a few hours. I can't imagine going over a week without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, trust me, it was a week but felt like months!! lol
      Thanks Ann

      Delete
  13. Glad you got power back...when Katrina hit, we were without power for nearly 2 weeks, sigh. No fun at all...in 100* weather. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the meantime...I have met two from New York that moved to South Texas to get away from the snow. And my first thought was of you, getting away from the South to move up north.

      Delete
  14. Not cool that they forgot those four homes, and yours was one of them! Glad you have your power back! Get some rest and get caught up with making your home normal again. So glad it wasn't any worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I don't know if our home has ever been in the 'normal' range. rofl.

      Thanks Marie.

      Delete
  15. Glad to hear that you are okay and you have power. My brother, a civilian Navy employee got evacuated to Austin and is now back. Of course he is moving to Tennessee now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is, you can't get away from Mother Nature...she hands us so many surprises and challenges...Tennessee has massive flooding and tornadoes...it's all in believing you can only do so much, and never get away from her wrath sometimes.

      Thanks Yogi.

      Delete
  16. Hooray! You are persistent and it pays off. Got 'er done! Good job Anni and you toughed it all out with moxie and intelligence. Now to move forward with the cleanup... and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am so glad to see you back -- and I read the later posts and see that you're even back to more r less normal. We are on Hurricane Watch for Irma from way over on the other side of the country. Hoping we have a home and boat to come back to in November. And sending all good thoughts to our friends who live in our neighb orhood all year. Congrats on taking matters into your own hands and getting that power back -- unbelievable that you had to do it tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you being in Port A a few times in your RV travels...as I was composing some photos to be published on my blog.

      Delete

.