my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


This and That...

...Walking in the Sunshine...

It's a bit difficult to fathom that next Tuesday it'll be the first of August already! So, this week, I registered myself to participate in the city's 5K Heart Walk! It will take place in October, giving me time to raise the funds I pledged. AND, it'll be a lot cooler in that month. [Hopefully, drier also, but it's STILL hurricane season, so anything's possible].  I decided to join as an individual so not to disappoint any company's team if for some reason I need to drop out while participating or not show up at all.  It will give me a lot more peace of mind to do it this way.

Heart Walk Image created by me with use of free clipart



- - -

...Copyright Issues...

Once again, I was compelled this week to take down an image I shared to add more layered text on a photo and then republish the 'newer' version Wednesday. A gal that left a comment actually posted in her comment that she'd take my image, of which I took a screenshot. My question is, if it's not from a free site, or listed in Google searches that have no copyright issue for fair use [an act that allows use of images for educational purposes], "Why do they think that special photos of a private collection is free to steal and 'replicate' as she stated?"  They're ALL protected under the copyright laws.   On my sidebar I have a 'copyrighted' graphic which implies all my photos are protected by that very law.   Anyone should either ask permission for use, or check the site for any disclaimers.  For instance, with a whole slew of my own images I'm using for a project, I emailed the site's owner and asked if it was feasible I use their filter for purposes that will have my images and their filter published....I got a reply  It's ALWAYS best to ask first before any legal action is taken.  Also, if you DO use some image from an online site...ALWAYS give credit where credit is due somewhere on your website, never claim the borrowed image is yours.

The screenshot I saved for reference...


and then, my email with privacy editing

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Anni wrote:

Date: 06/07/2017 20:57:53
Email: emailomitted.com
Country: US
City: N/A
Timezone: N/A
Ip:omitted
Language: en
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
Sent from: desktop

I have a couple of photos of my own [taken by me, off my camera], and I would like to use one of your free filters [oil painting] and then put this in a publication. I know I have the copyright of the image, but do I have the right to have your filter used and still not infringe on YOUR rights as a website?


Thanks in advance, Anni


* * *
Re: [US][DESKTOP] I have a couple of photos of my own...
Friday, July 7, 2017 6:19 AM


From:
"Support Team"
To:
email omitted.com


Many thanks for your message and taking interest in private website. For simple effects like filters you do not require any permissions from us.

Kind regards,
name withheld

Support Team




- - -


...Houston, We have a Problem!!...

The Astros?!!  What happened?!!!  For the entire 2017 season, you've been on the TOP throughout the entire baseball leagues [higher batting averages of BOTH American and National].  Now, you're falling...Dodgers have over-run your standings.  Come on...don't strike out!!  Get your mojo working again and win, win, win!!  I haven't 'talked' much of the game here of late, but still...I ♥ Baseball!!


- - -

...Whitecap Beach Cuteness...

As I walked the beach, I came up on a family out enjoying the surf. I asked the parents for permission to take a few photos of their daughter. I couldn't resist the sweet innocence of her expressions and the perfect beach gear for her!!




- - -

...Books...

After taking day trips around the area and visiting a few historical sites, I have been in search of some historical books on the 'fathers' of Texas. I just found a short biography of Stephen Austin. I've read a few chapters and am enjoying the story...from childhood to his college days so far. Interesting to learn about him, and now know the reason why the state's capital city is named after him. Also found, one I've been looking for at the used bookstore for nearly a decade, is "Sahara".  A book that is out of circulation, published in 1995. Why? Well, one of my favorite action movies is of the same title, based on the novel. I want to compare the movie with the book...I know the book will be different than the movie, hopefully explaining one thing mostly...how and where did the wrecked plane come from they find in the desert! lol To be read after the bio on Austin! 


- - -


...A little Comedy Relief...




32 comments :

  1. Like that sign, just might get your vehicle wet. Stay cool Anni, I'm trying to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is....do we NEED reminding of this...the people are that dense to have to have signage?

      Delete
  2. Hello, the 5K sounds like a great idea in October when it is cooler. Cute captures of the little one on the beach. I like that sign. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, and happy Thursday to you too.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to learn of the theft of your images, Anni. I think it's disgraceful that people do that. And I simply LOVE the pictures of that sweet little girl. Good thing that sign makes sure nobody thinks about driving in the surf! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Image theft is something the internet is 'famous for' I guess. But to blatantly say "I'm gonna take it and replicate it" just boggled my mind! Thanks for the support D J.

      Delete
  4. Well that's too bad about your photos, it's so not an enjoyable issue at all. But then the way things are going in Washington today it seems more and more people think, oh shucks I can do, take, tweet, say anything I desire, no laws no rules. Okay end of rant, I was actually going to by pass the whole thing because it is something bothers me lately. Those folks who do not have respect for other people. Especially their feelings as well! Any way, love going to the beach and everywhere else with your lovely shares! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me! You and I could talk on this for hours!!

      Delete
  5. there are idiots who try to drive in the waves at the beach, I have seen them with my own eyes... I never use any photo without permission and don't ask permission of people unless it is a close friend, like asking Gail if I could PLAY with her dog photo... and then I said what I did. I like to use my own when I can, except of course the ART thing I am addicted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? So, the sign is needed? Amazing

      Delete
  6. Your shots of this little girl are amazing! Did they ask for any? if not, they don't know what they are missing. I come across people who will let me snap if I send them the pictures. All this copyright stuff makes my brain spin, but I know it is necessary. The sign is funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they didn't ask for photos of her, and I didn't think to offer. She was a handful, they were very busy keeping an eye on her at the time!!

      Delete
  7. That's pretty darn rude of that person. I'm betting she probably already grabbed it.
    Rhat little firls is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of the little girl at the beach. I love the beach and watching the children enjoy themselves. How difficult is a 5K? I'm a dummy when it comes to understanding how the fundraising walks work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not difficult at all if you're used to walking a lot...in American terms, it's 3.1 miles. It's just like donating a certain sum...but you have to have others that are 'sponsoring' you, and if they don't pledge the $ the one that signed up for a certain sum...like me...I will have to make up the difference I don't get as pledges.

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a clueless comment!! Used to be I would use pics that were not my own. I've quit that except for what I find on Flickr commons movie sites that offer posters for download and I always attribute.
    Where do people get the notion that they can do what they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno how they figure they CAN just take an image that belongs to someone who works hard to make a blog post...but, it's not for me to figure out I guess.

      Delete
  10. I love the shots from the beach...such a cute little girl.

    Would you believe there's always a big to-do about copyright issues in quilting...from pattern designers. I completely agree about not copying the pattern and selling it, but some say you cannot make something from their pattern and then sell it. I really do not know the legalities of that.

    And one lady used to and probably still designs purse patterns...she used to have the nastiest copyright attitude of anyone I ever seen...you would have thought she invented the purse, fabric and sewing machine. I think there was a big uproar over it, and she doesn't have it up any more. I never buy a quilt pattern now...and for sure will never buy another one of hers. I did not want to make any to sell or anything...

    If I made patterns, I would encourage people to make them...and do what they want to do. And I would even include a few labels with 'design by Sew&Sew' and ask for them to please include it somewhere visible, if they would. NOT demand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't appreciate her MO on how she blatantly said "I'm taking this photo...etc."

      There's a better way, she coulda ASKED politely. Y'know?

      Delete
    2. Looking back at this, I think I come off sounding like I am defending her...I am not. Not at all. When you take a photo, it is yours. You own those rights, unless you give permission or sell the rights.

      Every time I hear copyright, my mind goes to quilting. And I don't even think I have the right to copy someone else's pattern and sell it or give it away for someone else to use to make the item.

      Delete
  11. good for you doing the heart walk, that is awesome...i hope the weather cooperates with you! that little girl is adorable! weird for someone to steal pictures like that isn't it? although a few years back, christian's old girlfriend click on a link from facebook that was about torure devices and while she was clicking through the pictures a picture of my boys popped up from williamsburg in the pillory...how funny is that?! i never complained to them because it makes me laugh that they are on that site...i just looked it up and they are still there http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/21-medieval-torture-devices-and-techniques/84068283/ picture #16...that's braden and dalton in the pillory, christian locking them in, me next to them in the green hoodie and my daughter ashlyn next to me lol....thanks so much for linking up annie! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as your children aren't being 'token targets' for anything and you're okay with it...no problem
      Thanks for hosting Tanya.

      Delete
  12. I go to Creative commons and there on to google usually as a choice. I understand that these are free to use on my blog. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think you're infringing any copyright issues on your blog...your blog would 'fit' into the fair use/educating site. In my opinion.

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry someone thought (or rather didn't think at all now did they?) it would be okay to take your photo like that! The little girl at the beach looks like she's having the best time. Good luck with your 5K and hope the weather is good for you in October. As a KC Royals fan, I think I best not comment on the baseball portion of your post ;) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay....I'm a fan of our local team [Houston only, not Dallas. LOL] AND!!!!!!!!!! A Denver Bronco fan. You? A Chiefs fan I'm sure. That too is okay.

      lol

      Delete
  14. Enjoyed your informative post. Loved the sign. I posted one a while back I took at a restaurant. It said "Drive Through Parking Only"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like YOUR funny sign too.

      Delete
  15. I can't believe it's nearly August already either, this year has just flown by , we've even had adverts on the tv for Christmas trees!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Almost August already and I saw an advert for Christmas pyjamas this morning. Scary! I am sorry you have had this trouble with "theft" of your images. Even if she didn't understand the copyright situation you would have thought she might have better manners. So rude. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the best with your walk. Lovely photos and like everyone else is saying, love the sign and shame about the audacity of people to 'take' what they want.
    Though I live in the UK, I enjoy reading Debbie Macomber's books. In the Blossom Street series of hers, she writes about the Seahawks and Redsocks occasionally. I don't really follow any sport, but when and if, I hear these team names on TV or radio, I instantly cheer inside. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete

.