my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Sunday Morning Breakdown...

Finally, back to the islands and Port A on Sunday!! I most often went there at least once a week, but  a lot of times more than one time!!  It's been since May 28th since I've driven to the  town of Port Aransas....when the supertanker, ANNE, arrived with all the fanfare. Why such a long time since visiting? Well, the weather, the heat, a holiday [the 4th] and most of all road construction that hindered safe driving. The island highway is just two lanes and for the most part 60MPH speed limit. Under normal conditions it felt quite safe driving, but there HAVE BEEN several fatal accidents in the past few years and the state and county decided there needed to be some changes done. Widening the highway was their priority. So, for the last year or so road construction was imminent along the most 'crucial' sections, but the project has been going on for the last three years....Then, just recently, barricades and highway pylons made the road a lot narrower and the speed limit was cut down to 40-50 miles an hour, but here in Texas, speed limits and warnings are just guidelines...in other words, no-one pays heed. I really didn't enjoy driving there at all while the highway was torn up and road equipment and semi trucks loaded with road base and then hot asphalt on the cars' undercarriage was a forever happening!!. Lately, like the last couple of months, the highway was uneven, barricaded, and speeders. That kept me away for the most part. I figured that perhaps they're close to completing it by now, so I took a chance. NICE! About 90% done. They've widened it in critical areas, they've added a center lane near residential areas for those making turns into their neighborhood streets so they're not impeding in traffic, they've added passing lanes in areas that need it so the heavy traffic can get around those that drive too slow! It's gonna help with accidents, I think, with such heavy traffic going to the islands' beach access roads and into town. Port Aransas is growing leaps and bounds, the traffic will NEVER get lighter.  In my experiences driving in this area of the county, the only time you're not in heavy traffic is on Sunday around 5 a.m.  After 8 a.m. it's often bumper to bumper....during holidays and during college Spring Break,  it's stop and go with advancing along the road at a turtle's pace...on an OPEN highway.

I arrived and hit my two favorite birding hotspots. Nothing much that early. A Least Bittern and American Coots along with the resident alligator [photo] at my first stop. The second area down the road...nothing but grackles and butterflies. So, off to Charlie's Pasture to walk the boardwalk. Golly, was it dry! Hardly any water along the salt flats. After walking there, the sun was beginning to beat down on my shoulders, but I wanted to drive to ARK [a rehabilitation facility for wounded animals]. And from there, along the backside of the institute, I can walk a partial area along the jetty. For a while I sat on the huge boulders and just watched the boaters, the fishermen, and scanned the horizon, enjoying the sea breeze and slow motion of the sparkling water. Eventually, I walked a bit more and then left for home with a pitstop at the grocery store for...........more cat food! lol

Now that my narration is over, I'll share a bit with my Sunday Photo Album:


Fishermen along the NORTH Jetty and I think this is a pink trumpet shrub [not sure]


Brown Pelicans at the end of the South Jetty


Part of the Marine Science Research Pier and Passion Vine blossom


Injured Barred Owl at ARK and monarch butterly


Boaters on the Channel and Anchored tanker [waiting for pilot to board probably]



- - -

From NBC "UNITED STATES - It turns out that more people are walking at all hours of the day. A new study shows more Americans are getting out and walking. The data shows a steady increase in walking over the past decade for both transportation and leisure. Experts say walking is an easy way for people to get exercise."

36 comments :

  1. number 2 photo I thought was ROCKS.. oh my when I clicked on it what a surprise... love the water with diamonds and the speed boat down at the end of your photos... we have many roads just like what you describe and I stay off of them. there are several places I want to go but the heat and the traffic keep me home... hope they get that road completed soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocks? Well then, glad you checked out the larger version.

      Delete
  2. You sure have covered a lot of information here and I love the flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I enjoy walking on good weather days. Especially if it involves wildlife and bird sightings. I think we could use some lower speed limits all around the country. Love the pelicans and the passion vine flower is lovely. Happy Monday, Enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly why I walk the areas I do walk....more wildlife than in town. lol

      Delete
  4. This year, I have seen extensive road work just everywhere! More than I ever remember in my lifetime. LOVE your passion flower photo! I have always wanted to see a real one, and I did last week! It was at a garden center, but it still counts! I have never heard of a Pink Trumpet shrub, it is beautiful! We have a lot of Trumpet vines here, orange ones. LOVE the pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, the streets that are in NEED of repair or resurfacing are ignored, while ones that DON'T need it are always being worked on. Go figure.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't like the traffic at all. I live in a townwith one stop light and 2 lane highways. I enjoyed you Sunday photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we call a one horse town, then. lol

      Delete
  6. Nice that you are able to return to such a wonderful area. It's too bad that all the people are moving in, though, with such a traffic problem. Thanks for letting me know that walking is catching on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For as many walkers as I run into, no matter where I go, it must be true!!!

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't like that traffic. I have gotten spoiled living in a small town. A couple of red lights and no congestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am used to it...but in a way I don't like getting too comfortable with the heavy traffic....it takes away from defensive driving.

      Delete
  8. I love the pelicans and that passion vine flower is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty....and birds are attracted to them. lol

      Delete
  9. You certainly are a dedicated walker. I would choose the trails with the wildlife too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedicated out of necessity to keep my heart rhythms in good standing.

      Delete
  10. Traffic makes me crazy, but it's unavoidable wherever you go these days. Beautiful sights on your walks - so many pretty and unusual flowers. Love the pelicans lined up on the rocks. I love the smell of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and road rage is a big thing no matter where too...I try and do the 'right thing' without upsetting other drivers.

      Delete
  11. Do like the photo of the Alligator and Pelican. Quite something to see when you go out on a walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Bud is out walking with me, he is disappointed if no alligators. lol

      Delete
  12. Love the Monarch Butterfly and the Passionflower!
    Like the Pelicans on the rocks, too, but I had rather not see alligators when I am walking!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even tho the alligator seems content, I am still quite leery of it.

      Delete
  13. Oh gosh! I just read the first couple of paragraphs out loud to Bill...so many changes to Port A....apparently we aren't the only ones who fell in love with it! Thanks as always for the beautiful pictures and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots! I don't like driving between pylons either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and a some point they've fallen over and in the traffic lane!!

      Delete
  15. I hate driving in road construction. There is a stretch of I-70 between Indianapolis and Marshall Illinois...either last year or the year before had over 400 accidents. A lot of them due to people not slowing down for road construction.

    I enjoyed your photos...pelicans fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...that is a tremendous amount of accidents for a year's time!!! I'd avoid that stretch of highway for sure if at all possible.

      Delete
  16. Lovely pictures as well. You sure know the "hot spots."! We have only a few hours each day when its fit to be outside.... many of my friends "mall walk"-- the mall is open for walkers before regular times. What have I come ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our malls are a petri dish. I much rather walk around my house than go to any of our indoor malls. lol

      Delete
  17. Your picture prove the drive was worth it *smiles* Travelling between our current and future home now over the past 1 and a half years, we have encounter similar roadworks, and it is still not finished, probably only will be once we have relocated, hee heee hee. And South Africa is also not one for adhering to speed limits, oh what fun!
    Hallo Anni, glad to see you well and photo'ing away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We would all be better getting out in Nature so we see how important it is to preserve it... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. We would all be better getting out in Nature so we see how important it is to preserve it... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love port a, funny we were talking about that row of houses on that highway that are all different beach colors, love that community. Is Sharkey's still out there? I love their food!!! Port A is that lil home town that is loveable. I spent many a day out on those north and south piers playing with the pelicans, we had a friend with a yacht in there.
    thanks again for the memories....

    ReplyDelete

.