my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Sunday Monring Silence...


This morning, Sunday, I woke up to a cloud-covered sky! Yipee, that meant there was a front that moved in and perhaps, even tho the humidity would still be high, at least it wouldn't be blistering outdoors; walking! A least as long as the clouds didn't break and then clear out. Please stay cloudy or at least partly cloudy long enough for me to get my 10K steps in....Outdoors!!! Yay!!

I decided I didn't want to drive far; no island hopping for me today. I just drove to Oso Bay Wetlands that is about 10 minutes from home. It's all open area, mostly chaparral with cactus, mesquite trees, a small bay inlet, several elevated decks for nature lovers and birders. I like this place on a quiet Sunday morning. It's one of my favorite local spots. Best thing about it is ... it's ALL Pedestrian. In other words, NO Bicycles!!! They are prohibited. And several paths to choose, covering miles of area. I try to walk about 90% of them on my outing.

The parking lot for the park is gated. And on Sundays they remain locked. Which is okay by me. I just park on the street, by the gate and go through the entrance on foot and begin my journey. Trust me, I was happy to be outside and enjoying the sea breeze and the lack of heat. Well, to you northerners it's still hot, but 79° felt mighty fine. No triple digits today. Not even the heat index.

On my walk-about, here's what I saw at the Wetlands on the Bay:  From aquatic plants and water lilies, to furry wildlife [a cottontail rabbit], birds such as doves, thrashers, black bellied ducks flying overhead, a painted bunting taking off from the treetop, the sun shortly shining but hidden by more cloud cover,  a Willet in flight just above the swamp grass, trail greenery, a new boardwalk along the bay side, a flycatcher high above me taking flight across the power line spindle, a snowy egret perched near low-lying cattail reed.  

I walked in this area for a couple of hours.  Upon returning to my car, I spotted two Scissortailed Flycatchers [birds], and they had a nest on a power pole!!!  With ONE baby in it that I spotted.  I stood and watched them for some time while taking photos of the activities for my bird photo blog, and then finally left for another park before heading home.  I was so enjoying the day!! 








38 comments :

  1. Beautiful birds and flowers. All the rain seems to be turning to steam here. Ack! But I'll take our summer to a northern winter any day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, all it does here is cloud over, but at least the temps are a couple degrees cooler than last week.

      Delete
  2. I do miss being able to share photos. It warm today upper 80's here.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, iced tea would be better than coffee....too hot.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are getting a respite from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not lasting very long...supposed to get hot again, all too soon.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures. I especially like the water lilies and the heron. There also looks to be a bluebird. But maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny....the bird with the blue is a painted bunting.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have a respite from that intense heat. And I can see why you enjoyed your walks so much, Anni. Just beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I said, one of my favorite areas to walk.

      Delete
  6. Glad you were able to get out and walk today. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...walking is so good for the soul. I enjoyed it a lot.

      Delete
  7. What lovely flowers and birds. I just LOVE your owl looking at me from the top and side of your page. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along Mari.

      Delete
  9. you seen some beautiful sights. hope you got your 10k steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, and then some. Thanks Felicia

      Delete
  10. Pretty pictures. I can imagine your walk was nice with the cooler weather. Most people at church from different directions said they didn't get rain so we are very thankful for ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even other parts of Corpus got rain, but none for us.

      Delete
  11. You are absolutely amazing! You walk. You photograph. You have such knowledge.
    You must be very 'Heart healthy' after all your nature walks.....
    I do so admire you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly....thanks so much Linda. You have me blushing. You're something special too I know!!!

      Delete
  12. Hello, ten minutes away is great. I loved all the birds and photos. I would enjoy this walk. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you would enjoy it all Eileen...the invitation for you to join me is always open!

      Delete
  13. you have never taken a bad photo in your life, which means all of these are amazing. I have two favorites. the sundrenched dove and the dove and the squirrel together. yesterday I opened our front door to check the mail and stepped out and almost stepped on a dove, she fluttered off and startled me as much as I startled her. that two hours alone and walking sounds great to me. I prefer quiet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'squirrel' is a cottontail. Oh, with what you've been through the last week with health issues for hubby, just startled? I'd still be clinging to the porch ceiling! lol

      Delete
  14. You sound so very happy to be out walking again! Your pictures are always wonderful to view. I sure do like the angles in photo #11 but #18 is my very favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes!! I was elated to finally get out and get some much needed fresh air and peace and quiet to hear the birds singing to me. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  15. Sunday sky my fav....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful day...some great captures here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the pics. Great job. Sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They could not put stints in Bob's artery because it was to high in the neck. this is the surgery they do when stints will not work.. he would not have to be put to sleep with stints and that is what we wanted. but all 3 docs said could not be done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know this!! Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  19. I loved that park when we lived down there. One day I will be back in Corpus again....how I miss the birds there. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

.