my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Looks Like We MADE It....

...but just in the nick of time!!!

For the entire week, I've been watching the progress of the Supertanker, Anne, since it was reported that an historical event would occur in our midst. When I first heard about it, I got online to see where it was located...anchored at a port off the coast of Louisiana. Throughout the week, Anne's position was noted by me. After it left Galveston, Texas, I kept a close watch, as I learned shipping terminology as I went along for the ride of a lifetime [not literally of course]. During the week, I 'conversed' with the PR for the oil company located in Ingleside, Texas...just a short 17 miles from Corpus Christi, on the shore of Corpus Christi Bay. The last email from her was that she'd arrive sometime this week. Friday morning, when I woke up at 5:30 a.m., the first thing I did was get online to check where the ship was...."Constrained Draught", speed was 2.3 knots. She was close!!!! High tide was at 06:11. And, the ship, with it's size and weight NEEDED the high tide to navigate the ship channel. I told Bud..."I'm going to Port A if you wanna come along, get dressed". We left home just before 7 a.m. It takes 30 minutes to get there from home if the traffic on the freeway and then the island highway is moving good. We pulled onto the beach at 7:29...ANNE was in the channel!!! What a sight to behold. I just can't tell you how massive and magnificent she was; it's indescribable.


Alongside her, tugboats, small watercraft [privately owned speedboats] and lots of people on the jetty. Also, several tugboats with the traditional spraying of water off their decks for fanfare.


As ANNE came closer I was definitely awestruck by her size...OVER THREE FOOTBALL FIELDS IN LENGTH [1092 feet - 333 meters and over 200 feet wide].  An average length of most tankers coming into our port is half the size as ANNE.  The captain blew her ship's horn a few times which thrilled the spectators along the jetty waving from those that weren't holding cameras.  Then, silence as ANNE passed by us...




She was moving effortlessly along the surface of the water at quite a quick click! I barely had time to change from zoom lens to use the panoramic setting, but snapped a few 'full length images'....


As she's coming in - compare sizes of boats and tugboats


Closer to us, the spectators


Into the channel on her way to Ingleside, Texas to dock

After she passed the jetty, it was like a mass exodus of the crowds that gathered. Some of us had in mind to board the automobile ferry to cross the channel and head to Ingleside. That, we did.



...at Ingleside on the Bay [near the shipping dock of the Petroleum Company] I took a few more photos. Hopefully this'll show more of her massive size in proportion to the vehicles parked at the Customs Quarters...






And lastly, her stern with IMO #  [International Maritime Organization number - each ship, worldwide, has a unique number for ID] and the online stats of ANNE recorded being MOORED. Saturday morning, she was back out in the Gulf heading to her next port. Destined to go into the record books for being the first supertanker to dock at ANY port in the United States. She made history on the 26th of May, 2017...and we were there.  It looks like we made it!!!

40 comments :

  1. Wow - that is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was/is massive! And beautiful.

      Delete
  2. How amazing! I admire your enthusiasm and determination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just 'had to see her'....if at all possible.

      Delete
  3. Holy smokes she's huge. Quite impressive. I'm glad you were finally able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If possible, I was determined to watch her make history in our area of the globe!!

      Delete
  4. Hello, that is a huge ship! Great photos. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're having a grand holiday weekend too Eileen. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. They named a Supertanker after you, fantastic hee heeee hee. But wOw, that is a spectacular sight, dwarfs everything around it. I'm really happy you got to see your Anne. Happy Sunday to you and Bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it dwarfs everything around it. Amen Sistah!!!!! Hope you and your soulmate are having a great day too Ms. V

      Delete
  6. so glad you made it... she is HUGE and is also French.. I did not know that. or that she is named after YOU. LOL... no wonder you were tracking her, she is your name sake... I love the little tug boat also....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's registered in France...like a license plate on an auto...but I believe she is Belgian. Not sure tho.

      Delete
  7. I actually got goose bumps viewing your pictures and imagining that I was there beside you viewing this magnificent and awesome tanker. Thank you for the narration and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically I had that sensation too Ms. G. And tears welled as she passed us by. Guess I'm an ol' salt after all...surely an old salt's wife!!!

      Delete
  8. So happy you made it! Thank you for the awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mildred, happy to know you enjoyed the ride!!

      Delete
  9. WOW, you went all the way with it!! I would have never know about this except for you! I never knew why the tugboats sprayed water, now I do! My favorite pictures are 2, of the spraying, and 3 & 4, because it actually looks like you are in the water shooting from under the ship! They also really convey the huge size! SO, why do super Tankers not dock in this country, and why did this one? You had to know that I would have questions, yet again! also, It seems tug boats would never be able to tug this huge ship, if it broke down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my understanding that the docks around USA are not big enough, and they all need to make modifications before these supertankers can come into their ports. Anne went in empty and came out only half full...the channel needs to be dredged deeper to accommodate supertankers since the smaller tankers are becoming obsolete. As for tugboats, and breaking down, that remains to be seen how they'd handle that. It would take dozens to tow it out or if it was grounded [stuck in the mud and undertow]...DOZENS to pull it out.

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for your explanations to my questions, Anni! I learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help Ginny....I'm learning right along with you. I didn't know half of this [didn't even know what draft really meant -and more stuff, until I started studying a bit]

      Delete
  11. Wow! She is so huge it boggles the mind!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That she is! Both huge & mind boggling.

      Delete
  12. WOW! That is a massive ship. What a thrill it must have been to be there and get pictures of your own, by which to remember this event. I was smiling even as I read about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What Ship. I know I would of tried every way to see if it was basicly in neighborhood.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just really happy we didn't miss it. If we'd been 10 minutes later on arriving at the channel....

      Delete
  14. Wonderful! I have been enjoying your excitement. I am surprised you had to do so much work in tracking it. I would have thought the media would have made a big " Do" about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is odd, I think also. But there may have been many factors involved. First they can't really predict WHEN it comes to port because of tide and weather! She WAS delayed a couple of days with stormy weather in the Gulf. And, I also thought, security issues...but then, that really wouldn't be something that would stall the media...since most all the spectators there were using the same tracker I was. ANYONE could utilize it.

      Delete
  15. Wow! I can see why it was such a big deal now, Anni. It is truly HUGE and I too have learned something this morning. Double WOW! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, then...double thanks D J

      Delete
  16. This was fascinating -- I summarized it for Bill (he who does not read other people's blogs) and he said 'oh send that link to me will you?)..... of course he was as interested as could be and wished he could have seen this. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you two couldn't have been here!!!

      Delete
  17. Wow - she is really huge! What a thing to see. I'm so glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. I keep thinking "if we would've left just a few minutes later, we would have missed it entirely"

      Delete
  18. That is one huge ship coming into port, Glad you liked my Robin photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill...thanks for visiting with me today.

      Delete
  19. Wow! How exciting for you to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your timing was perfect for getting those great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I thank my lucky stars!

      Delete

.