my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Up in the Sky [and more]


My previous blog "Easter's On its Way" showed an Easter Themed post. I shared my newest pencil sketch called Rugged Cross!  If you'd like to view, click on the link in this section or scroll down and view on my sidebar.   However, this post begins with the only home holiday decoration I'm gonna do...the Easter Basket! From that, I spent Sunday outside, walking mostly. I walked two cemeteries and one park, searching for some reported birds. I did find the Monk Parakeets right where they were reported seen last week. And, yes, they ARE preparing nesting facilities in a large palm tree in Holy Cross Cemetery on Up River Road in town. The adjacent cemetery, I found nothing. The morning was a dreary gray, overcast sky. Then, I went to a city park to hopefully find a rarity...a vagrant bird from Old Mexico...the Clay Colored Thrush. I finally spotted it by the bird fountain, but by the time I got my camera up and aimed, it flew down into the undergrowth where I could no longer find it. And as I waited around for a bit, it never did come back in sight. Maybe I'll return today sometime to give it a 2nd try.

- - -


Naturally I find myself looking upward when I'm out walking. Yes, searching for birds mostly. But, the other day when I was walking in a park, the loudest noises from planes were heard from overhead. I was by the bay, and near the Naval Air Station when all the ruckus occurred. My inner thoughts were, "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane!!!" Several of them. This first April weekend was the local, Naval, airshow. And on this particular day, the pilots were in practice for the show. The extreme noise was coming from none other than the famous Blue Angels! I guess you could say I got a sneak preview...



I quickly zoomed in on two, and 'caught' sight of the pilots...



This brings me to another Navy Pilot from World War II. He was shot down in his plane by the Japanese enemy after Pearl Harbor Attack...none other than our 41st president, George Herbert Walker Bush. Which brings me to this book, 41, I just finished reading. Another biography. Authored by his son, another president of USA...George Walker Bush. And I really didn't want to put the book down. Of course, in my opinion, other than an autobiography, the next best thing [perhaps better] to an autobiography is one composed by a family member...a whole 'nother perspective. Sometimes I've read others, oftentimes a demeaning biography; or seldom one filled with pride and praise. This one happens to be the latter. Pride! Through and through.  It's become a touching tribute of his father's trials proving himself over and over...like, a tribute of a man of history! And with this publication, the reader sees familial lessons learned. Lessons such as the all-importance of family values, campaigning with his father, diplomacy, importance of being true to oneself, taking in values and actions from a parent and how rewarding it is in life...the making of a great man, a great country. The book is a tell all of what G H W Bush accomplished  graduating from Yale University, from becoming the youngest pilot in history at the time [He trained in Corpus Christi in 1944], to an oil entrepreneur, Congressman, Ambassador, Vice President, and "41"...America's 41st president....a husband, a father, a grandfather, and a great-grandfather who sky-dives on his 90th birthday! Accomplished and striving for and serving family first...AND country. The book, his son, George Walker Bush, does add comparisons of both his father's and his politics [which I really appreciate these days...YES, as the billboards around Texas had some years back after Obama was put in office..."Do You Miss Me?"...yes, I do!]. A few times throughout he added some of his father's humor which is a great addition. After reading this book, I have a better understanding of what his father was all about and how the world was and is because of his accomplishments and life. I highly recommend this to read.



35 comments :

  1. Hello, awesome captures of the Blue Angels. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I'm slow getting around to visiting with you, so have the best of days for the REMAINDER of the week.

      Delete
  2. In the 1980's my Mister calibrated the maintenance converter and maintenance recorder, changing analog to digital for the F18 Hornets. He also ran final tests before they were shipped. I love the sound of those airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting job!! I would love to be around planes [the jets, not the prop jobs] -"I feel the need for speed". lol

      Delete
  3. Anni, I am so glad you mentioned that you had previously posted about Easter. Because I had missed it!!! And I would not have wanted to miss it for the world. Sometimes my sidebar will just drop a blog for a few days. The cross is GORGEOUS!!! So unusual and beautiful! He is a real craftsman, but also an artist. And your drawing is beyond anything I have seen. The HANDS!! They almost bring me to tears. How on earth did you get such sharp and close pictures of the Blue angels so far up high and flying!! Awesome photography. I love your Easter basket, it is beautiful and unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the jets were not that high from my standing point...they were practicing pretty close to the ground level. Thanks Ginny.

      Delete
  4. wow on the pics of the Blue Angels, I wonder if they saw YOU? lol... you and Ginny of Let your light shine, are ready for the Easter Bunny... glad you saw the thrush, better luck next time.. I smiled when you said you are always looking up. I rarely look up, always looking down. my friend Diane and I were opposites and for years she pointed out what I missed and I pointed out what she missed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not always, but most of the time...I look up. lol

      I like how you two did what you did about missing things.

      Delete
  5. Your cross sketch is beautiful. How cool to see the blue angels. I love to see those fighter jets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see them practicing, that way I didn't have to go to the air show and contend with the traffic. LOL Thanks Felicia

      Delete
  6. Wow wow wow, on capturing the Blue Angels so well, Anni. I love your Easter Basket too. This is the first time I realize what the W stands for in George W Bush! I love biographies and need to download "41" on my Kindle. Thanks for sharing this interesting post. Blessings. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good book....if you download it from Kindle...I really think you will like it. Thanks for the compliments Jo.

      Delete
  7. We had a big air show on the east coast of Florida this week end and I thought the blue angels where here for that--but you are in Texas right?????
    love the Easter basket--
    enjoy the moments, di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...
      And yes, it's possible the blue angels where in FL also...they have several squadrons.

      Delete
  8. Awesome photos of the Blue Angels ~ they intrigue me as does your post about the book you read about President GHW Bush ~ sounds fascinating and filled with values that are sorely missing today in this country ~ thanks,

    Wishing you delightful days in your week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorely missing indeed! That is why I enjoyed the book so much...it was refreshing.

      Delete
  9. I read blogs from my feedly reader and then go to the blog to comment. When I tried to go tocomment on your last post it kept telling me it wasn't found. I was able to see the sketch though in my reader and it was awesome.
    As for this post love those big birds. I remember seeing the blue angels ages ago. They are very impressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 'cause I posted it in error...before I was done composing...so, I quickly sent it back to draft.

      Delete
  10. I have only seen the Blue Angels once in person, when I was a young child. My dad took us to see them. It was amazing! I loved your sketch! Talent.....such amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great captures! The Blue Angels are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would like that book very much. I like biographies. It must have been exciting to see the Blue Angels too and even zoom in on the pilots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to be able to SEE the pilots. Tho, I must admit, they WERE flying low.

      Delete
  13. That book sounds interesting, all right. I'll check it out at the library. And those Blue Angels and the Easter Basket, wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely go to the library...only to use the facilities nearby a park I frequent...

      Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

      Delete
  14. Oh wow! I would love to have even a glimpse of the Blue Angels. I have seen them at airshows and loved their demonstration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a talented set of men [are there woman? dunno]

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the festive photos, it's always a pleasure popping in! Take care and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen...enjoy the rest of the week yourself.

      Delete
  16. wow on the photos! I'm sure my dad would love that book if he hasn't already read it.
    tomorrow is my birthday and I hope my guys find me some pretty flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will...you will have a most perfect day celebrating!!

      Delete
  17. Cute Easter basket! I just put together my first 'grandchild' Easter basket for my 2 year old grandson :) It's been quite a few years since I've done one! It's so amazing how the Blue Angels maneuver those jets so precisely. They come to Seattle every year and fly over Lake Washington for 'Seafair', which is 50 miles from me, but I can sometimes see them fly over Mt. Rainier when they practice, a few days before. Every once in a while they set off a sonic boom. It's always a thrill to see them. Great photos! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely Easter basket!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow great photos of the planes!.. I am missing almost every past President these days...sigh.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.