my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Polly Wants a Cracker Condo...

I mentioned going to a couple of cemeteries to check for a particular Monk Parakeet; I was told through the birding grapevine that the parakeets were getting ready to nest.  Walking the perimeter of the grounds, I found their spot.  easily enough [they're very vocal]! Watching them, I took photos for my bird photo blog. I also took a few other photos of what was once a palm tree...and what is left of it from the damage done by woodpeckers!! The photo in this paragraph is one of the Golden Fronted Woodpeckers seen in abundance in and around South Texas. I'm sure the past generations of this species are the culprits of this damaged palm you see below!! And perhaps it's still of some use; who knows?!! There were some fresh wood chippings on the ground surrounding the tree's base, but no woodpeckers nearby...I could hear them calling, but from a far away distant area.

...Just a short distance from the parakeet condo and damaged palm, a Great Kiskadee was busy building or keeping vigil on its nesting area....another broken, battered palm tree. From the top there must be a cavity of some kind 'cause the kiskadee disappeared; dropping down into the tree's outer form. Plus, this particular tree, last year, was being used by Starlings for nesting and I saw starling fledglings peeking out from the holes along the outer 'walls' of the fibrous bark, obviously from previous woodpecker dwellers. I guess it is subleased by other qualified renters...or maybe the tree is property of some kind of bird world squatters' rights...

- - -

Now, a bit of the Monk Parakeets. On the first day I went in search for them, the lighting for getting any good photos was nearly nil. When I got home and showed Bud the photos he said "Don't delete these even if they are dark and blurred...the photos show their character!"   They are monogamous [one lifetime mate],  the only bird in the parrot family that builds nests of tree limbs and up to 20 cavities, like apartments in a complex for several families, and the pre-mating ritual is grooming, loving---very sweet,   These particular parakeets can live up to 20 years in the wild [30 in captivity]



- - -


I did a little tweaking on my blog here...Instead of having my book report on my sidebar, taking up a lot of space, I decided to put the reviews on a blog for that purpose only. There is no guarantee that I'll keep it up to date, but I will work on it here and there to kinda get some of the best books I've read recently up and posted.   As of now, I will add some of the books read in the past year or so, then go from there.  The new blog is
Anni's Book Critiques. 

My most recent book I'm reading is another non-fiction. Bud and I are interested in the subject; Jack the Ripper. While at Barnes and Nobel the other day, I went over to the True Crime section and found a book entitled The Autobiography of Jack the Ripper. I came home and ordered it from Amazon through a  London used-book seller at a much cheaper price. It arrived a few days ago. This book, according to Ripperoligists [Jack the Ripper experts], was at first thought to be a hoax, but now with further investigation the experts believe that this diary found could possibly be the real thing!!..I am a bit skeptic 'cause there are SO MANY books on the subject and to this day investigating into the horrific crime of the 1880s continues.  Some believable, some....not so much.  I will read it, and then get back to you on it.



- - -




21 comments :

  1. Hello, the Monk Parakeets are cool birds. I got to see them in Florida, they are fun to watch. Love the Woodpecker too. It is a great idea to have your book review blog. I will check it out. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the parakeets and so glad that you listen to hubby and kept them. It does show their personality. Still laughing from the squatters rights and the sublease comment about the birds on that tree. Those trees are amazing they're like art created by woodpeckers. I have a post somewhere about a woodpecker that destroyed the wood that and I plant live done and it looks just like that and it finally disintegrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...they cam be destructive birds!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful information. I had no idea they lived such a committed life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly there are MANY birds that mate for life and other traits like the parakeet

      Delete
  4. Very interesting photos.Birds can and do destroy some trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The destroyed tree looks like a termite mound! It is pretty unrecognizable as a tree! The woodpeckers and the damage done. Bud was right! I am so glad you did not delete the Monk photos! They are just adorable! And lots of info on them that I did not know. Long ago I read some ripper books. Suspects included a member of the royal family, and another likely man who worked in a butcher shop. I wonder if he really WAS the first serial killer? Or maybe there were many more, before there was so much media. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They DO resemble a termite hill! As for Jack the Ripper... I have yet to read or after viewing documentaries that anyone/or no one could be

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the info. I don't know a lot about birds, esp if they are not part of this area. Those birds are so adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that picture of the tree was a pile of rocks or sometjing like that. Those birds are so sweet cuddlung up to each other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had some enjoyment watching them

      Delete
  8. Lovebirds, aren't they? I agree that the pictures really show their character. I never heard of the term "ripperologists," but it fits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term has been around quite a while.

      Delete
  9. All woodpeckers need to stay away from my and other's log cabins! They cause so much damage. I love the parakeets! SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...my sister has had to have ea es on her house replaced becsuse of woodpecker damage.

      Delete
  10. Great photos of the Monk Parakeets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Love the parakeets! they look so sweet! you got some great photos!
    happy weekend,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

.