“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






From the Beach to Linda Castro Refuge & Demo-Gardens...

Still in the Rockport-Fulton vicinity, after I left the Beach Park, my step count wasn't up to par, so I drove to two other smaller areas known for birding. Just before crossing the Copano Bay Causeway Bridge, there is a small nature trail with a pond. I pulled off the highway and stopped at the kiosk/benches to scout out the pond first. Not much activity tho; bird-wise. Some distance away, behind the pond, the city crews were busy cutting trees and I think that was keeping the feathered population away.  I still walked down into the trees and along the pond's bank to see a Little Blue Heron near the reed, and a few Blue Winged Teal Ducks....




Black Bellied Whistling Ducks were somewhat active, and a couple were actually 'whistling'! Most all the time, they're a silent duck. The White Ibis were relaxing in the mid-morning sun. At one of the many 'hidden' drip systems here at this refuge, cardinals and doves were bathing. A Ruby Throated hummingbird was flitting in and around the wildflowers. I heard more birds than I saw...




...I sat and waited for a while, but again, as I said, the guys cleaning out the backwoods and the human activity was keeping the birds away, so I left and drove to the 2nd smaller area in town; Rockport's Demo Garden and Wetlands. There are three small ponds; one with a fountain. A large covered deck nearby the largest pond, a partial wooden boardwalk, and a caliche trail beneath the live-oak tree-covered canopies. Here again, mainly whistling ducks and ibis. I saw one hawk, a few sparrows, ibis, and a crested titmouse, mockingbirds and starlings.






When I spotted the hawk flying over the treetops, in shadow only on the ground, I looked up and it was then flying into the distant palm trees. By the time I focused the camera on it, I only got ONE photo of it before it 'flew the coop' and disappeared completely.   When I got home, and uploaded the photos to resize them from the computer, I almost tossed the hawk photo, but decided to share his back-side anyway.  I believe it is a  red-shouldered hawk.   I took his departure as a lead, and left myself to head back home for the day.



18 comments :

  1. Good Morning, Anni. I enjoyed your pictures very much. You have some pretty places to walk. We had non-stop rain Sunday and never got out of the house! It is a treat to see the wildflowers in your photos above too. Wishing you a very nice start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wishing it would rain here, we need it. Or soon the lawn will be drying up.
      Thanks, Mildred, and have a great week yourself!!

      Delete
    2. I hope you will get the much needed rain. Re the Carolina Allspice shrub in my post, it is not the same as the cooking spice These papery blossoms smell fruity - likes apples!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for explaining

      Delete
  2. All those wildflowers are so pretty. You've got the nicest places to do your walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some areas are nice. (Except during mosquito season)

      Delete
  3. Hello, looks like a great place for a walk and for birding. I love the Whistling ducks. The flowers are lovely. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too...the ducks have so much personality

      Delete
  4. 4 and 5 of the flowers are awesome and number 6 we should have blooming. we have 2 hisbiscus flowers only, the drought is killing all we have. love the singing whistler pic to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pretty dry here too!! Perhaps we've more humidity?

      Delete
  5. I do love your wildflower collages!! And the pair of sweet ducks. Love the hawk shot, he is looking about and you snapped from behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. For me, hawks are a challenge to ID, so not sure exactly WHAT hawk species it was.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it amazing how that little app on our phones gets us up and moving? I love your walks and am glad you take me along! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, if you're referring to the health app and step count. lol Glad you always enjoy my 'adventures'.

      Delete
  7. That last place looks like a lovely spot to walk, even without the birds around.Grant it,I do know that having birds to watch and photograph makes it so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all nice areas around this little town. Well-kept. And as you say, enjoyable even when there ARE NO birds.

      Delete
  8. I would love to have some places like this near here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure you do know how fortunate you are to have such beauties of nature to photograph while out on your walks. Your energy amazes me.

    ReplyDelete

.