my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Can You See Me Now?

I don't know about anyone else, but text and typeface [especially in paper back 'pocket' books and some nutrition labels of food packages] are getting smaller and smaller. I have reading glasses that magnifies the type for the small type in book text. Also, many times since my heart attack and nutritionist's advice, I started reading labels for cholesterol, fat, and sugar percentages/grams for the 2000 calorie diet so I could lose some weight and tone up the body functions. Yes, I lost 20 pounds since my heart attack in 2015. I still should really lose another 10-20 pounds, but for now, I'm satisfied as is my cardiologist. At least I haven't GAINED any of what I lost so far [knock wood]....and I do snack on the 'bad' foods every once in a while. Anyway, to get to my point....I used to carry my reading glasses along with me to the grocery store so I could read the small print; wearing them on my head while shopping and dropping them down for reading when I found a label that was eye-straining. You don't know HOW MANY pairs of glasses I've lost in the process!!! Then, back to the drug store to buy another pair. I needed something small and less cumbersome. Ya, I know I could have put the reading glasses on an eye glass cord and wear it around my neck for such occasions. To me, being a bit vain, I didn't like the idea. I wanted something a bit more stylish. I finally figured out what I could do and wear it continually when shopping at stores. I found this cute little magnifying glass in the shape of a HOOTIN' owl!!!! Used a ceiling fan light extension pull-chain with a length of 3 feet. [like the military dog-tag chains]. Voilá!!

Owl magnifying glass charm at Hobby Lobby $2.50 [half price markdown from $5]
Ceiling fan pull chain at Home Depot $3.00
Total cost excluding tax $5.50
Savings from Drug Store reading glasses approximately $10!!

...and I most likely won't lose this contraption when out and about. I still have reading glasses for books at home. But they'll remain on my night stand and I won't lose them unless I put them down somewhere and forget where I put them. That's when Bud comes into the picture; he'll find 'em for me.  And the hootin' owl is hanging on my keychain hanger by the back door by the garage.  Right where I'd need 'em.


My new Magnifying Owl Glass


Through the looking Glass!!!
No more eye strain and brain drain!!
I think this is gonna work like a "Charm".

32 comments :

  1. Not only is it useful, it is sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought I'd share this idea. Maybe someone else has much difficulty reading those labels.

      Delete
  2. what a great Idea and the owl is really cute... perfect for what you need, when you get old like me no need for this because I wear glasses from the time I get up until I lay down. same as you, they live on the bedside table and I have bob who is 80 and doesn't need glasses to help me find where I left them... this little owl would be very attractive on beads to and no one would know. and now I am off to my jewelry box because I think I have a gold necklace with a magnifier on it. or I did way back when

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to test it out the other day and was pleased. No, I don't need glasses ... yet!!

      Delete
  3. Hello, I love your cute owl magnifying glass. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was cute too. Fittin' for my online nickname too. lol

      Delete
  4. Thinking out of the box is definitely the way to go! (I have 4 pairs of prescription eyeglasses! - That's another story.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had to wear glasses in a few years. I think maybe the meds are helping my eyesight. Maybe? Dunno for sure.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anni, What a great idea and the owl is perfect! You are very clever to create such a stylish magnifying glass. Thanks so much for your visit this morning and I wish you an enjoyable weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Mildred. Hope your weekend is a good one.

      Delete
  6. my mom bought me a necklace similar to this but it's in a soft gold and it looks like an old fashion key, but I have misplaced it. :( since I now wear reading glasses this was perfect to wear when shopping because I never remember to carry my reading glasses with me. also, the writing on some labels does seem to get smaller, probably because they don't want us to see some ingredients. lol
    your owl is adorable!!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, all I know is....the little magnifying necklace is just what 'the doctor ordered'...it works.

      Delete
  7. It is gorgeous!!! You are so clever and inventive!! And it is kind of your trademark, too. Your giant owl header is GORGEOUS!!! Phil is always forgetting to bring his reading glasses in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a hooter! [lol]
      I got tired of losing the reading glasses. I hope it'll work for me.

      Delete
  8. What an awesomely practical and personal (to your username) piece of jewelry for you, Anni. I've had my eyes scanned and can see quite well except for labels and price tags! So I dig into my handbag for my readers at every point. I love the idea of this magnifier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You & me both! And reaching for glasses becomes a chore.

      Delete
  9. I agree and OH my word some of the cartoons in the newspaper are almost impossible to read. At first I thought it was my eyes but the fonts are just funky!!
    How unique to find such a cute owl magnifying glass.
    Happy Weekend
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's when you stop reading the newspaper and go out online to read it all...you can enlarge the text that way. lol

      Delete
  10. This looks like it will work well AND look great, too. Bifocals for me this summer. My changing vision drives me crazy at work. The owl reminded me that a 2nd grader, (in another class), wore an owl necklace to school this week. Said it was his gang symbol. We all got a good laugh about it. I believe it was a necklace from his grandma and he is a good kid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just talking to someone earlier today about how text has been shrinking. I buy rhe cheap dollar store readers and I have several pairs that I keep in different rooms in the house. Plus I also have a pair at work. Love the owl magnifying glass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have one in each room too, if they weren't lost all the time. lol

      Delete
  12. what a great idea and cute too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia. It's working for me.

      Delete
  13. Time for Shark Tank! I am sure the gal from QVC will be happy to pick you up on it. I bet a lot of men could use it as well. Of course, I would be your agent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are brilliant! That is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a good idea...I gave up and got bifocals years ago. And have found reading a kindle is so much easier than reading books. Even with glasses. I have a paperwhite and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I have a kindle too, but it's an old one, and I can't find the charger. Go figure.

      Delete
  16. That magnifying pendant is totally cute! I wouldn't lose that either. Some of the labels are so small! I've taken to photographing them with my phone so I can enlarge them enough to read them.

    ReplyDelete

.