my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Walkin' in the sunshine Sing a little sunshine song

-one-
HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY

Table Top Figurines
...Are You Wearin' o' the Green?...

- - -

-two-
SISTER'S DAY
And being St. Patrick's Day, that means that on the 18th [the day after] my sister and I once again celebrate our own private Sister's Day. I am certain that this year it's our 24th consecutive year we toast across the miles at a time synced to each other my Texas time to coincide with her Colorado time. Read more about our special day here from last year.

- - -

-three-
THIS WEEK At THE PARK
On Tuesday, I did my walking in Calallen, Texas.  At Hazel Bazemore Park.  The day was sparkling while walking under the bright sunshine!!  This park is where the annual Hawk Watch is held during migration.  I heard only... a few hawks and golden fronted woodpeckers, and saw one Northern Harrier [a female] hunting low to the ground.  Along with these, as I walked the loop around the ponds and golf course, I spotted cardinals, mockingbirds, black bellied whistling ducks, egrets, kiskadees, one flicker, mallards, cormorants, killdeer, meadowlarks, martins, swallows and probably more that I can't think of right now.  When I was finished with my walk, I got back in the car to head to a new mall along the highway that opened on March 1st.  I didn't want to go back then, 'cause I expected a huge crowd.  Anyway, back to the park...

Packing my camera away and my binoculars, in the car's trunk for safe keeping...I got in the car and began to drive out of the area.  Along the exit road, I saw a trio of wild birds that was truly unexpected. Wouldn't you know, the camera was already stored away. The cellphone wouldn't get good enough photos. I pulled up further away from them and hurried out to get the GOOD camera. By that time, the three had sauntered quite a way away from me. I had to use the zoom lens...


To the sound of the song from, 1966 ,"Hey Hey Were the Monkees"



Here we come, walkin'
Down the street

We get the funniest looks from
Ev'ry one we meet
Hey, hey, we're the Monkees Turkeys
And people say we monkey gobble around
But we're too busy singing waddlin'
To put anybody down Headin' for much safer ground!!

By the time I took three photos, another car slowed down and the turkeys headed through the tall grass and flew away!!


- - -

-four-
AT THE MALL
...and a few photos of the new outlet mall. I'm not much of a mall shopper, but I wanted to check this newly opened one along Hwy #77/Interstate 69. I liked the atmosphere right away. Outdoor walkways with a Victorian charm. Tho, complete, many are still vacant with promising openings soon. I thought all the while while walking the facility, "This would be a very charming place during the holidays with lights and all".







- - -

-five-
MY FAVORITE LUNCH

Well, at least ONE of my favorite lunches. Bud and I had a waiting time of a couple of hours for his new eye glasses to be made, so we went to Sakura's. A Japanese Restaurant, and ordered our favorite dish they serve....Chicken Teriyaki! I really shouldn't consume all this with a heavy load of sodium, but it's so tasty, and so filling. And besides, I see nothing wrong with indulging once in a while...






54 comments :

  1. I'm not big on malls anymore either but I like that huge planter. Like the turkeys too. We always saw a big flock at the ranch, but they were on the back forty and we won't be able to go there when the new owner of that part gets the fence completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen wild turkeys up north/west...and around King's Ranch, but never this close to town. I was excited. lol

      Delete
  2. That looks yummy! Indulge away (every now and again as you say), we only have this life to live...

    Guess what I saw the other morning.... 2 Guinea Fowl sleeping atop the telephone wires. Asked my sister about this, she's knowledgeable like you, if this is normal. Said they normally sleep in trees, I guess these 2 are city folk (or should I say Fowl). Have a happy weekend Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, heck...I didn't know they roosted in trees. I LEARNED something.

      Delete
  3. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Anni! I love the pics of the turkeys! I'm not much of a shopper these days, but it is nice to have a new mall to walk through. So pretty! Your lunch looks delicious and yes, you should splurge every once in a while! I hope you both enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your weekend too Mildred.

      Delete
    2. Thank you and thanks for your sweet comment about our cats. We sure love them and enjoy their antics!

      Delete
  4. you are so funny! the turkey's walking along to the song of the monkees made me lol!! enjoy your sister day tomorrow and yes, i have to find something green! i think my daughter picked up some green beads from the festival last weekend that i can borrow...don't want to be getting pinched...or do i??? ;) that little mall will look great with christmas lights everywhere! thank you so much for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not dressed yet...but I will find SOMETHING green too.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the great tour through what will indeed be a nice mall once it's finished. And the turkeys made me smile, too. I'll not forget to find something green to wear today either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much excited about any new mall myself, but I wanted to see what it was like. I may go with Bud during the holidays tho. But, no need for a return trip on my account.

      Delete
  6. So funny to see the birds walking along! You caught them just right with that photo of their behinds.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  7. The big birds are hilarious! I love the tiny green figurines too. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Riita! It's nice to have you visit with me.

      Delete
  8. Turkeys are so goofy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turkeys spook very easily! You were fortunate to get these pictures! Malls don't thrill me at all and rarely visit them - rarely. Sure wish there was a great Japanese or Chinese restaurant near us! Sorry to say, there is not! I feel a bit of envy. Great varied post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me that turkeys make better watch dogs than dogs!! And now that I'm older I know just what he meant. Oh, and another good thing about turkeys...they EAT snakes!!!!! lol

      Delete
  10. I smiled all the way through the turkey song and even left a couple of times what a friend and I love every single one of the photos. The song Fits it perfectly. Our outlet mall is immense and you can get in Alton thousand of your daily steps just going from one store to another but the traffic this between here and there keeps me from going there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, there is always traffic to contend with...that's why I leave the city and go birdin' so often on the island. Except for THIS week. lol

      Delete
  11. What a interesting day you shared. Always enjoy what you are doing or where you are going. Keep enjoying each day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will....as long as you keep dropping in to say hello!! :-)

      Delete
  12. Well, you have me humming the song and enjoying you photos, especially of the "Wee Folk!" Happy St Paddy's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had them in Northeast PA... Seeing them "fly" a bit was always a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised to see them so near a town.

      Delete
  14. Love the "Hey hey we're the Monkees!" with the turkeys. Looks like you had an awesome day in the park as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite parks. Thanks Marie.

      Delete
  15. Wild Turkeys! Though there are plenty around here, I have never seen one! I have only seen them naked, stuffed and baked! But of course, that kind is not wild. The new mall looks lovely! We have a Towne Center here, but no mall. We have to do some driving to get to one. I like the town centers best if the weather is good, because you can see each store and park in front of it. But nothing beats a mall in bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This mall I show is all outdoors! The walking is outside...

      Delete
  16. Now I have the Monkees theme going round in my head! But your waddling turkeys are very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh....that's called an earwig...thinking of a song and having it go through your head all day. lol

      Delete
  17. I'll be singing The Monkees song for days now. I stopped at a thrift shop a week or so ago hoping to find some St Patrick's figuines but didn't have any luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought these two for a couple $ at hobby lobby ... AFTER ST. PAT'S DAY.

      Delete
  18. your song was perfect for those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing that the turkeys let you get such great photos. Maybe they want to show off.

    We, too, have a Sakuras. I don't think it's a chain. Must be a popular name, because I think we had one when I lived in CA. The one in Springfield has delightful bento box lunches. Your lunch looked scrumptious. I wouldn't have any trouble polishing that off in record time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots of the Turkeys and fun caption about the singers the Monkees ~ Neat Mall ~ there is one similar about 20 min away ~ Outdoor Malls are in I guess ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a lovely weekend ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol...I agree the outdoor malls are 'the in thing' now-a-days!

      Delete
  21. What a great Five! Those turkeys have style! I love the idea of a Sisters' Day - I have three and perhaps I can persuade them that we should do this, although we do get together once or twice a year. That chicken looks delish, you were absolutely right to treat yourself. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS most delicious! Yep sister's day is so much fun!

      Delete
  22. Hello Anni!:) Happy St Patrick's Day, and sisters day too! Great shots of the turkeys. I can't get the song out of my head now, don't mind though.:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear one. Perhaps that was the motive behind my adding the lyrics. ☺

      Delete
  23. Love the Turkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, Anni! I am just catching up after our long drive home from Florida. The turkey sighting is cool. The meal looks yummy! Great photos. Thank you for hosting and I Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Eileen. It's good to read you're now safely home after a long trip from Florida to MD.

      Delete
  25. Thank you...I will probably never see turkeys again without thinking 'Hey, hey, we're the turkeys!'....but before that it was just as bad with 'Walk this Way! Walk this way!'

    As for chicken teriyaki...I have been trying for months to remember how I used to fix it on the grill...I know I used wings but other than that I cannot for the life of me remember anything more, but the girls and I loved them. I quit fixing them once they left home so just can't think how I did it. I did them on the grill...and I know I soaked them a while, I think in teriyaki and soy sauce...and literally just a drop or two of liquid smoke. But how long, how hot...I have not a clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This restaurant uses chicken wings...so tasty so good!

      Delete
  26. Well now I have the monkees song stuck in my head for the rest of the day hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  27. I much prefer your version of the monkees song!

    ReplyDelete

.