my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Friday Morning Storm!

This is the week ol' Anni stays off Padre Island and Mustang Island. Tho I went there EARLY on Friday morning BEFORE all the college exams were over and the influx of Spring Break Revelers began to head out for the week's time off from classes. [The CCPD estimates over 6000 students are expected on our stretch of beaches for the week; most all drunk and disorderly]   My trip was the 2nd one since a week passed.  But, by the time I arrived, a typical Spring weather pattern loomed up in the near future...the storm clouds moved in quickly! And I do mean quickly. I arrived before 7 a.m. at my first birding stop, it was partly cloudy....balmy...a bit humid. Before I left there it was sprinkling. I headed to my 2nd stop which is a short visit 'cause it's a small area. I had plans of going to the 2 mile boardwalk at Charlie's Pasture. By the time I had ended my 2nd stop it was getting mighty dark and ominous looking overhead. Still only a few raindrops were falling. I decided to head on over to the Marine Science institute to check on the ARK [animal rehabilitation keep] before walking on the boardwalk. I stopped and checked out the injured/recouping wildlife.  There are two bird species within the compound that are rarities and injured...I wanted to see if there was any improvement in their healing process. 

[facing right - Northern Gannet and facing left - Masked Booby]
both birds are SEA Birds [rarely seen on land in USA]
that's why I'm so interested in their healing progress

I guess I stayed there far too long. I looked toward the ship channel and the black clouds were now low lying and roiling along the water's edge!! Quickly I changed my mind. I decided to head home early, before the Spring Storm. I got out of town about one mile and heading to Corpus Christi when the clouds opened up and the torrential rains fell. I had to pull off the road [construction site] and wait out the storm.  I kept myself occupied with the car phone and Bud telling me that the streets in Corpus were flooding and for me to stay put!  I played cribbage and scrabble on my phone for a while.  During the time waiting, I got two weather alerts...one told me to watch for water on roads...well duh?!!!!  The storm seemed to be letting up, so I left and began driving through the construction area along a 6 mile stretch of the island highway.  When I made it safely to the last curve on highway #361 to turn on Park RD. #22 to cross JFK Causeway, the rains had stopped.  But the horizon looking toward Corpus Christi, over the bay, looked to be still raining heavily.  I stopped for gas, and texted Bud...he said it was still flooding at our area of town.  A normal 15 mile drive from the gas station to home usually takes about 10 minutes on the freeway - Friday, it took me 35 minutes!  But, I got home...safe and sound.  I was ready for a margarita...BEFORE lunch.  lol


All the rain we've been receiving, and the drab gray skies - well, it's been good for the wildflowers. The landscape is showing lots of color!! One of my favorites is the fire wheel which can be seen just about everywhere there is an open field...



...and the yuccas are just bursting with their waxy candelabras and the acacia trees [known in Texas as Huisache Trees - pronounced wee SAH chee] are blooming!



...speaking of color, I've noticed that some of the birds are coming into breeding plumage. Even MORE color!!


[winter plumage *photo from December - comparing to the beginning of breeding colors *photo taken last week at Oso Bay Wetlands]


...needless to say, I'm now caught up on laundry while it rained continually Friday and Saturday morning, and playing with lunapic on the computer. That'll be my next post probably. No, not the dirty laundry, but the lunapic outcomes.

31 comments :

  1. I LOVE all those flowers. Isn't nice that we have things to entertain ourselves with when we get stuck waiting out storms or anything else. What did we do in the old days?...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right! If I had to pull off the road long ago, I'd probably end up sleeping in the car. lol

      Delete
  2. Hello, Anni! I love the Spoonbills. They are gorgeous birds. The flowers are just beautiful, wonderful photos. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are!! I love 'em year 'round. Both plumages.
      Enjoy your day too Eileen.

      Delete
  3. Good Morning, Anni. So thankful you had a safe trip home. These flowers and the birds are so very pretty. Such a shame about the beaches being full of rowdy, drunk students. I'm sure the police will have their hands full.
    I hope you have a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The do...and the aftermath of the whole week is a true job of work, cleaning up after them all. Plus there are always court hearings too...rapes and molestation....things like that.

      Delete
  4. Today for me the flower shots told the post. They are so beautiful all of them. Can't wait to see what you did with lunapic and now you have become a Luna pic lunatic period so glad you survived that storm and when you first started I thought the spring dorm storm was the students we are about to have that hit us in fact it is this weekend. Please send rain we're desperate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....Lunapic is addictive to be sure. But, thankfully, I only go out there when I have nothing else to do. Otherwise, I'd not get anything done, anytime. lol

      Oh yes, a week from the underworld this week is. For all except those that have businesses that cater to these 'money is no object' students on their daddy's credit cards. lol

      Delete
  5. Glad you waited out the storm successfully. And the wildflowers are simply spectacular. Your posts always brighten my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flowers and birds! I look forward to seeing some flowers here...hopefully soon! So sorry you got stuck in the storm...I always try to take a book with me. If I don't I get very antsy if I have to do any waiting, because I'm not much of a game player. I will text my daughter, maybe call her, call or text Mom but that's about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading I'd be too relaxed and I just may fall asleep at the wheel...I'd rather play games. lol

      Delete
  7. So glad you got home safely! Us bloggers will sure do wild things just to do a great post! What is the beautiful blue flower? It is gorgeous! As is the Fire Wheel. This flower looks like the kind we call Blanket Flower, but your name is so much better! What a change in the spoonbills in just a week! Do you play Scrabble on Facebook? So do I! Plus a few other word games. Start one with me if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, Ginny...the first photo of the spoonbill as I typed below was taken in December. Then, the breeding plumage on the right is from last week.

      Delete
  8. Goodness, you had quite a time. Thankfully you made it home safely. Love all your photos, so lovely to see all the flowers blooming.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this time of year, everywhere, when Spring takes hold, it is lovely isn't it?

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos and I am glad to hear you made it home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you made it home safely. Those flower filled meadows are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...and when the blue bonnets begin to bloom along with the fire wheels, the landscape is really pretty. Thanks Ruth

      Delete
  11. One thing I remember about South Texas is that sometimes when it rains it just all falls down at once and you can't see a thing. Wise move stopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....and we've been getting a lot of those kinds of storms most of the last 30 days.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful flowers and birds! I'm glad you got home safely after that deluge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather is such a mess sometimes. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  13. It rain pretty much all on Saturday and today Sunday partly sunny with breeze out of the south.
    The robins have arrived.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robins are kinda scarce here, but they're here year 'round.

      Delete
  14. WoW, your world is sparkling with colour *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shadow!! You are always welcomed here, and your visit brought some sunshine my way.

      Delete
  15. We are still waiting for a peek at flowers in the area. Not happening yet. Your pictures are filling the void for now. The wet rose is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love seeing water droplets on any vegetation....how it sparkles and reflects.

      Delete
  16. I am loving those flowers...anxious for that time to be here...and the breeding colorage is wonderful...glad you showed the old and the new.

    ReplyDelete

.