my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Everything's Better With Bluebonnet [on it]


Once my wrist, shoulders and neck begin to ache from being at the keyboard for a long spell at a time doing a long thought out project of mine, I do get up and walk around some....then, to continue relaxing the tension caused by being at the computer, etc. I will read a bit before returning to tackle some more of the project. The 'new' book I'm now reading is a non-fiction biography.  The author  has written several books, both fiction and non-fiction, on the subject. So far, "Great Harry" is a fabulous book!! It reads like a novel, and begins with King Henry's birth. Her research from decades of writing/published works makes it...to me...all the more accurate in historical value. What made this man tick? Why did so many women find him irresistible? Are the paintings and artifacts on his lifetime a close likeness? Being of royal blood, why the passion of precious jewels? Things like that...and this book promises to answer so many of my questions with historical facts/truths. I am enjoying it. A lot. The book's synopsis reads as follows:
    In this full-scale popular biography of Henry VIII, Carolly Erickson re-creates the extravagant life and times of one of history's most complex and fascinating men. Based on voluminous records of the period, the story of Henry's life covers his troubled youth, his triumphant early reign, and his agonizing old age. Against the lively backdrop of the Tudor world, with all its splendors and squalors, Carolly Erickson gives us an unforgettable and human portrait of Henry VIII.

- - -

THIS WEEK
....................

Let's see, I drove to Mustang Island one day this week. I didn't do much walking, just hitting the birding areas and getting back home to do more computer work. While out and about, I did see some bluebonnets blooming. Not many. I wonder why? Last year everywhere I drove, along the roadsides and in fields, the Texas state flower was blooming profusely. This year, not so much.



I stopped at only two hotspots during migration...spent a lot of time watching a snipe, and a 2nd bird [the common gallinule aka moorhen] clean themselves at Leonabelle's Refuge. Spent too long at Paradise Pond, watching a group of Black Bellied Whistling Ducks. Normally, they are quite a silent bird, but on this particular day they were quite vocal...whistling! As I turned around to leave and head home, walking out of the bird sanctuary, I spotted a female ladder-backed woodpecker fly into and disappeared in a tree cavity. I had to stop and watch to see if she'd show up and peek out anytime soon...


On the way along the island highway I pulled off to inspect an area known to us birders as "The Willows". It's normally another 'hotspot' for bird migrants. But on this day is was very quiet. One lone boat-tailed grackle talked to me a while and then flew out of the dense willow growth!


Before driving over the JFK Causeway into Flour Bluff/Corpuus Christi, I stopped at Packery Channel Park. Again, not many birds, but more wildflowers were ablaze with colors...



Once back home, I went outdoors into our back yard, the flowers are blooming, the grass needs mowed [again!], I need to set the water and fill the bird feeders [I put out the first of four hummingbird feeders -so far I haven't seen any activity, but this week is usually the FOS {first of the season} appearances]...then, I'm kept busy as a one armed paper hanger to keep them filled!

Bud and I watched the History Channel mini-series from our DVD of Texas Rising. This time around, after reading The Bugles Are Silent [see my sidebar], I found I could keep better track of who's who.

- - -

Saturday morning, I chanced a drive on the interstate up to Pollywog Ponds. Earlier this week, I tried but there was a lot of crews out working the area and I couldn't get in to park and walk. I was hoping they weren't out there on a Saturday. Luckily, there was no construction going on....I got to walk. Sadly, I think the city has filled the two ponds for the migration season [this area is BIG on birds...they do a LOT to keep Corpus Christi the "Birdiest City in America"]...well, the ponds were TOO full for now. Not many birds. I wondered off the path and found one they're cutting....I took tons of photos. That'll be my next post.

32 comments :

  1. I'll be humming the bluebonnet jingle all day long now. The bluebonnets are so pretty as are all the other wild flowers. Hoping we'll be seeing flowers around here soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Wildflowers in your area will be in full bloom while ours here will be long gone.

      Delete
  2. we don't live in Texas but we did watch the mini series and liked it. with your photography skills, your slideshow is worth the viewing even with no words at all. I love the uppsy daisy ducks.. all of them... wild flowers are so much better than hot house to me. no roses for me, just colorful wild flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got done with a netflix binge watch of King Louis 14. All 8 hours! I love these period pieces. I will have to check out your pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just finished watching a PBS series...each week they profiled one of King Henry's wives. It was fascinating, they really went into detail. YEAH, you finally found some bluebonnets! They are so beautiful! So are all the flowers. We do not have this much variety yet. Love the fishing dunking duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy pbs when we had tv!

      Delete
  5. P.S. I remember that Blue Bonnet ad, and the margarine. I wonder if it is still for sale? We try to eat only butter, except for spreading. It is so much better for your health than margarine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love butter...the real stuff!

      Delete
  6. I was glad to see the Whistlers...miss seeing Tex's posts of them. I love the blue bonnets...I would love to live to see a field of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...Texas has a LOT of whistlers.

      Delete
  7. The Blue Bonnets are so beautiful. We are now getting some other spring flowers than the Daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love daffodils, and they don't do well here other than in pots as a house plant. I don't know, maybe it's TOO wet here?!!

      Delete
  8. The Bluebonnets are so pretty. Enjoyed all the birds and blooms.
    Oh if you subscribe to my blog by e-mail you might want to resubscribe since I changed e-mail addresses again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds and Blooms....isn't that a GREAT magazine? Do you ever get a chance to peruse this subscription?

      Delete
  9. The bluebonnets are so pretty! And now that jingle is stuck in my head. :)
    I think I would enjoy that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty darned good book so far. So detailed. I like that when reading about people.

      Guess I need to read those tabloids, then, huh? lol

      Delete
  10. I would love to see the Bluebonnets growing in the wild. We have similar flowers in gardens hereabout that's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Spring flowers are the best!!

      Delete
  11. Great photos. Love Bluebonnets in the wild. They are just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the flowers!
    I hung up two Hummingbird feeders as soon as I saw buds on the Buckeye bushes early last week. I saw one Hummingbird (advance scout, maybe) on Friday the 24th. I can hardly wait until they all get here.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting!! Hopefully soon.

      Delete
  13. Bluebonnets! My favorite Texas flower. You captured them perfectly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I love the bluebonnets.

      Delete
  14. How different your season is than ours. Flowers and hummers all arrive much later here. We did have a huge flock of robins arrive and spread themselves all over the grassy banks. Your pictures of nature are all very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, in Colorado, it's still in the 30s for a high...much different there too.

      Delete
  15. the Whistlers, silly birds, really make me miss TexWisGirl. I love wildflowers...beautiful photos.
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of her a lot...wonder if any other blogger has heard from Ms. T

      Delete
  16. Our bluebonnets aren't as thick and pretty as last year either. I don't know why, but our hummers have been here since the 15th. We start out with one then two and as it gets hotter maybe six. I think the same ones come here every year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh forgot to say the Whistler picture is very pretty and I too thought of Theresa. I sure miss her and hope she is okay.

    ReplyDelete

.