“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






C C C C - aka...

... Corpus Christi Contamination Catastrophe!!If you've listened to the news anytime in the past few days, you have heard about the water contamination in Corpus Christi!! Bud and I usually have a good supply of bottled water stored for emergencies [more likely hurricane threats - but we have cases for those "just in case" scenarios year 'round]. A bit more in this post, later...


A COLD SNAP

Ducks and Coots on the Feeder Canal at Hans Suter Refuge
A Wintry Morning Sky on the Bay


Walking in a local park, while stopping to view the ducks, egrets and herons, the icy arctic wind just cut right through me. [Yes, ARCTIC wind]. And tho it is supposed to warm up for a couple of days, the high predicted in the 80s, the front moves in and back down to the mid 30s for the morning low! And, yes, I've said it here before, when the thermometer reads 40 degrees or below, and the humidity mixed in, it feels like Colorado Rockies sub-zero temperature! but, the good part is... no snow... the freeways may have icy conditions for a while, early in the morning hours. At least on the overpasses.

Lately, cutting my walks short, once I get home, I keep myself occupied somehow. Like this:


HOLIDAY SKETCHING
colored pencil drawing of a poinsettia

This sketch took me the entire day, off and on, to finish it. I began the outline at dark o'thirty when Bud was still all asnooze. It's a quiet activity, so I wouldn't wake him! After breakfast, I started honing the lines and then choosing the colored pencils to use, I began filling in the plant bracts with red, and shading in with black and/or darker red. After lunch I outlined the entire image, penciling in each and every 'leaf'. By late afternoon, I finished, signed it and share it with you now. Before I started preparations for dinner, I took it to my room and added it to my sketch portfolio.





...or trying this earlier this week:

HITTING THE 'NAIL ON THE HEAD'
[Santa Heads on Finger Nails, that is]

I began by painting around the cuticle the red polish. After that dried completely, I opened the white polish, leaving a natural nail color for facial color in the center of the fingernail, I then dabbed the white on the edge of the red for the furry hat brim,  and then along the fingernail tips for the beard. Again, after the white dried, I finished with black nail polish for the two eyes and a brush tip of red for the nose.  And before you ask, yes, they're real nails, not acrylic.




CITY AGAIN IN 'HOT WATER'

Thursday, about 3 a.m. my cellphone alert notifications went berserk! Our city's water had been contaminated!! No drinking, showering, bathing, brushing teeth, washing dishes, laundry...don't do ANYTHING with the tap water. By early morning all stores had sold out with their bottled water supply. Emergency water was delivered by 18 wheelers, and distributed to those in need at all the senior outlets...these too quickly emptied of that supply. More coming in from around the state of Texas, while other nearby states are shipping water in for us! What a fiasco. Luckily, Bud and I only drink bottled water, so had a good deal stored in the pantry, but preparing food and cleaning up after it all was the most challenging part of this situation. You don't realize how you rely on tap water until you can't use it. Lawsuits from local businesses [such as beauty salons and restaurants] have already been filed. I really can't blame them...it's their livelihood, and depend on safe water. "What will all the hospitals and emergency outlets do?  They can't boil, filter or decontaminate the water in any way?"  I personally can't help but question the whole catastrophic episode here....I immediately asked myself, "How could this happen?  Is there no backflow?  Surely, there is!  Especially in the area where there are a lot of industrial chemicals.  And, is this the instant it happened, or did  the city know about it long before, and just now reporting the impurities in the water supply?  IT'S HAPPENED BEFORE and not just here!!"  Come to find out, as news reports filter in, the city was notified of the 'possible' contamination nearly a week before the residents were told!!!" Erin Brockovich, where are you when we need you?

PS...I just read while checking for updates, that all shelter animals have been transported out of the city; taken to shelters in San Antonio.




I found this online searching for Water Contamination Cartoons


24 comments :

  1. Glad you and Bud are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water is one of those things we take for granted. Glad you had a good supply. Your poinsettias are so pretty and I love your nails. I wish I could do mine but since I can't have nail polish at work it's kind of a waste of time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya... I can understand anyone working with food couldn't wear polish. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  3. Hope they straighten out your water issue soon. Thats a rough one. Once again great pics.. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks always, for your positive feedback.

      Delete
  4. so sorry to hear about your water, I have not seen it on TV, I try to stay away from the news. the beaches in St Pete had the same thing happen a few months ago, when all the storms brought 15 inches of rain, the sewer was floating in the roadway.. it took weeks to get everything safe.
    About your poinisetta. that is the most beautiful one I have ever seen. you are so very gifted. if I could draw like that I would not need this computer. WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad part is about all this, it's caused by human neglect...and could've been prevented.

      Thanks so much Sandra. You made my day.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I heard about your water contamination and immediately thought of you. I knew I'd learn more from our blog, and I did. I love your pretty nails and your wonderful poinsettia sketch. You are so talented!! This water business is huge and will take its toll on the city, for sure. Hope it gets fixed soon. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni your sketches are better than paintings I've seen in many many places. Have you ever submitted them for viewing by public? If you did OMCs the response would be amazing..which is probably why you haven't submitted them. Today's spectacular

    I am so sorry to read about the water in your beautiful city. Sending prayers for a quick and permanent fix.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didnt know you sketch too!! Holy smokes, you are pretty much everything I want to be, lol. I am trying to raise my kids with a love of capturing the beauty around them. They are only 1 and 3, and I always make sure they have access to cameras and sketch pads! I want the to be fearless in capturing nature! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That age, they're vulnerable to learning from seeing. You're doing a great job!!

      Delete
  8. That is an AWFUL situation you have to deal with contaminated water.....tough to get through and sure hope you do, SOON! The poinsettia hand drawn and colored image is really lovely. Your talent is first class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ms. G, on both accounts.

      Delete
  9. You are a very talented lady, first with camera and then the painting/sketching and now also the nail art.WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry, this is awful! SO, it is an asphalt chemical that is responsible! They ought to pay a huge fine! Yes, I don't know how you would wash dishes or even shower or take a sponge bath! Your outside pictures really do look like a hazy shade of winter. YEAH, I always love seeing your artwork! The poinsettia is fabulous and beautiful! And your nails are beyond awesome!! The fine detail blows my mind! You must have a very steady hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steady hands, I don't know. But, I like experimenting. LOL
      Thanks Ginny.

      Delete
  11. I always enjoy your artwork! You are so talented!
    Love the nails too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your water situation is terrible. What a serious inconvenience and health hazard to your city. I do hope it is fixed soon. Glad you already had a supple of drinking water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....and now we have a surplus of it. Stacks of bottled water in the garage storage. lol

      Delete

.