“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






They're Arriving on Time!!


Virginia Ctenucha Moth
[pronounced ten OOCH ah]

Now, I admit, I think butterflies are beautiful. But, when I'm out walking with my camera strapped around my neck, the intention is hunting birds and photographing them. Yesterday, tho, when I was at Indian Point Park searching for the rail and loon birds along the bay, I found neither. I then, instead, walked the Sunset Lakes Trail. For the most part, very little numbers of birds...the usual, Osprey, Herons, Terns, Sea Gulls, Egrets, and Willets. But at the end of the trail, where I turn around to circle back to the parking lot, hoards of migrating butterflies [and moths] were busy. They were in a flitting, feeding frenzy. Hardly any photos to account for my walk, I stopped and got some of these. Another photographer, stopped to chat a bit. She told me the previous day and into the sunset hours, the juniper bushes were heavyily laden with them. Enough so, in some parts along the way, the bushes bent with their weight, and high numbers. I would've liked to have seen that. I will be happy with these...

...a lot, so small images [enlarge by clicking on them]


White Peacock - Great Southern White


Great Southern White - Queen


Queen


Queen


Queen


Queen - Great Southern White


Cloudless Sulphur{?}- Eggly {?}


  Eggly{?}- Gulf Fritillary


Buckeye  - Checkered Skipper


Longtail

Buckeye



Butterfly Names
Another Post of Butterflies here in Coastal Region

38 comments :

  1. can you say Stunning? Wow! love them ALL..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are some of the most beautiful creatures on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are. As I type right now, out the window I'm watching several 'queen' b-flies.

      Delete
  3. GORGEOUS. I love butterflies and oh my you found some beauties. I was not familiar with the beautiful blue moth.
    Love your header
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call it my Denver Bronco moth....ha, ha....blue and orange? Get it?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful butterflies and fantastic to have so many different kinds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We here are within the migrating path of so many....thanks Mick.

      Delete
  5. As a child I recall we would see so many and would go out to catch. Now, we rarely see them. Great pcis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a science project in grade school...now that you mentioned 'as a child'.

      Delete
  6. wow, they're all so pretty. I think my favorite is the buckeye. That one is just stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and I don't see many of them here, so it was special seeing TWO in one day.

      Delete
  7. Birds are great photo subjects, but I think butterflies are a close second.Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were all here, in this one place? Man, you hit the jackpot!! They are all just stunning! Was the Virginia Moth with them? He is huge and impressive. I think the white peacock and buckeye are my favorite, though the moth is a runner up. It must have been like a wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, all in one area. It's about a 2 mile trail tho.

      Delete
  9. P.S. Love your turkey header! You must have ambushed him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture was taken at a state park a few years ago.

      Delete
  10. Wow - these are amazing! What a scene you found. I think I like the Buckeye best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though I don't know the names of the butterflies I love them. One of my daughters is a Certified Naturalist so she is always calling them by name when we are together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she knows the scientific names!!!

      Delete
  12. Wow! What beautiful pictures of such beautiful creatures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forget the birds! ;-) These butterfly shots are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A butterfly BONANZA! I really like the blue moth. How wonderful that you saw and shared them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the images shared Ms. G

      Delete
  16. For us, migration means insects and birds leave. I do miss them this time of year. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's busy with them here still!!

      Delete
  17. Absolutely lovely pictures. You are so lucky to see so many of them in a walk. I jump with joy if I can see just one here. Where are they migrating? To the south like in Mexico or Central America?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the migrate farther south than us. Thanks KL

      Delete
  18. Goodness, what a wonderful variety of critters you found! They are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wear my nice canon anymore since my mastectomy 3 years ago so I am using a smaller camera and I don't think the results are as good, but getting out at all is a blessing..Love all the photos..Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.