my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Celebrating and Remembering...

Day of the Dead tattoos, paintings, portraits, murals and altars are all common commemorations of an important celebration in the Mexican as well as South and Central American traditions. Known widely as the Halloween of Latin America, the Day of the Dead is a holiday that sets time aside for those who have fallen before us. I Went to the Day of the Dead Festival over the weekend...this is what I saw. The majority I asked permission [some from parents] from everyone allowing me to photograph them:





Skulls, as in skeletons, sugar skulls, ceramics, face painting are 'essential'. The meaning behind it is a way to accept that loved ones that have passed on are no longer among the living in the flesh, but a reminder that they are still alive in spirit; adorning with bright dress, instruments such as guitars, etc.


A face that is half flesh - half skull represents the ongoing cycle of life
This one was my favorite!

Here's more:





Band music is heard miles before you arrive!
Mariachi is the best!




Colors are traditionally symbolic:

Pink - Celebration and joy
Red - The blood of life and a symbol of sacrifice
Purple or Indigo - Grief and mourning, the pain of loss and suffering
White - Hope, promise and purity of spirit
Orange - The brilliance of the sun; a new day
Yellow - Symbol of death




One of the most important traditions is building an altar to remember those who have gone; usually very intricate and colorful. It's built in several steps taking days...





'Bout now, it's hot with all the closeness and the heat of the day...I look for this sign!! Aside from tradition, the culture also enjoys the celebrations in many ways...food, drink, fun. Also, we are fortunate enough to have part of the city streets shut down to traffic and enjoy the music, the festivities, the parade, the drink...and of course, you can't have a street festival without the vendors and those that get the attention they deserve. I like to go during the midday fair and watch the kids and family doing things together and enjoying themselves...people watch while I have a refreshing 'cool one'. A Denverite at heart it's gotta be Coors Light!!






...and to not forget my favorite day - HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

34 comments :

  1. I bet you were in seventh heaven here! Pun intended. So many very colorful, unusual, and festive things to see! I like those four cute little gauchos. And I am with you. My favorite is the first gorgeous woman with a dangerously beautiful mask. It must have entailed a lot of work. Looks like she painted the white on, then embellished with jewels. They are so precisely placed that I don't know how she managed it! It is literally to DIE for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered if she did it herself or had someone do it all.

      Delete
  2. We have loved everything about Day of the Dead ever since we first learned of it when we started to travel. All those years ago, we knew nothing really about Mexico -- now, Oregon is blessed to have a more diverse population than we had back then and most people know a little something about the culture. We even have a Dio De Las Muertes celebration or two in Eugene. Life gets better every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in areas most of my life with a lot of Mexican influence, Day of the Dead was something back when, but even more so now with so many celebrating it!

      Delete
  3. What fun. Love all the face painting and that first picture is so pretty. Reading the symbolism of the colors I kind of found it surprising that yellow is the symbol of death. I never would have associated yellow with death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree she was beautiful!!
      And, yellow...well, with age everything 'yellows'. lol That's about as close as I can come up with for an explanation.

      Delete
  4. how fun!
    happy halloween! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Betty, I can't find any comment link on your blogs. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Happy Halloween to my favorite spooky blogging friend. I also love that beautiful half and half. The others are fun, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, only 364 more days to go 'til next Halloween. lol

      Delete
  6. I love all the brilliant colors and faces and costumes. my favorite 2 is number 2 and number 33... they appealed to me the most. I know you had a blast with all of this going on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to come see you on Halloween, knowing that it is your favorite day ... and you didn't disappoint! We don't have much Day of The Dead Celebrations around, though I admit to seeing one or two groups of people dressed for the occasion ... it was wonderful to go to your celebration and to get a better understanding of what it is all about. Certainly we all should celebrate those who have passed before us (I am thinking they would all probably be turning in their graves if they followed this election season). I like the idea of the Coors Light too ... I'm not from Colorado, but have visited out there often enough to have learned that Coors is the best! So Happy Halloween to you Annie ... I know you are going to do something exciting and I am guessing we will hear about it soon ... am I right?

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a Halloween post quite a while ago Andrea, you missed it. :-)

      Turning over in their graves....yes, I so agree with you on that one.

      Delete
  8. What a great batch of photos! You can tell everyone is having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely DO have fun. And so many work hard to bring this to a reality for us all.

      Delete
  9. Happy Halloween! Wonderful pics. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recall in first grade we made mask out paper mache. But nothing was this neat.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall doing the same in school....long, long ago.

      Delete
  12. WONDERFUL!!! I love this activity with the colorful pictures of authentic celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The excitement and fun surrounds us all.

      Delete
  13. I love all the costumes and face paints

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know you enjoyed them Molly

      Delete
  14. What a great festival - one of my favourites. And amazing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Traditions, traditions very wel captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous collection of images....the first is outstanding....so creative!
    Thank you for sharing the beauty.
    Happy Halloween to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....hope you had a great day too.

      Delete

.