my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Stop the Presses!!!

It's been nearly two weeks [maybe longer] since I ordered a book from Amazon [London England]. One book I have been in search of through "Half Price Books" for over three years. I even went out to HPB's online site once, recently, and found one...in one of the Houston stores! Too late!! When I called the store here in our town, to have them ship it here for me, it was already sold. That did it for me. I got tired of not finding the coveted book........hence, out to Amazon I went. I couldn't wait any longer. Afterall, I'm not getting any younger. I had to bite the bullet so to speak and pay top price for it plus shipping and handling. But, I now have it in my hot little hands and barely got the box open and the plastic protector off before I began reading in earnest.
    Bud said: "You shoulda ordered it a long time ago!" 
    "But, dear, you know I like bargain books. If I can find it for half price, I can buy three books of interest instead, maybe!"
He just shakes his head and begins to thumb through the book as I type this post. So, if you don't see me online much the next few days, you know where I can be found. Reading somewhere close by, but "Do Not Disturb".


- - -


Thanks to Mersad for directing me to a new smartphone app [prisma] for photo manipulation. I've been having some fun with it.  Original photos first...then manipulations follow...


Bud In the Kitchen



My Pelican Painting


The Headless Horseman




One Of My Newest Witches This Year!

- - -


I began with an idea. Again, this idea has been in the brain for a while...the cobwebs on the gray matter have been pushed aside for now since I started buying some things for this 'idea'. A craft project I plan on sending to our daughter, Irene, if it turns out half way decent. While at Hobby Lobby, looking through the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas stuff, I spied some craft picks. My eyes were drawn to the very bottom shelf in the Halloween aisles. Naturally. There were two left in the bin; I grabbed one and continued perusing. I found the first thing I needed to make this for her. I bought some black feathers, some ruby red items [more picks]. When I got home, I told Bud what I had in mind to make...the following morning we returned bright and early to Hobby Lobby and, with the help and 'expertise' of my man who can work with wood and a carving knife, I bought some more goodies.

I'll let you in on a little bonding thing Irene and I did when she was young...and single; still in Jr. High/High School. We used to go biking as a family. Sometimes in the mountains on paths, sometimes along river walks, parks, places like that. Together, we two gals would lead the pack with Bud and Erik behind us. Eventually they were FAR behind us. Probably out of embarrassment. Why? You ask....Irene and I would begin pedaling and singing at the top of our lungs.........."We're off to see the Wizard" ---the whole song. See? The two guys now way behind us, they were staying far away from the two crazy gals. Anyway, The Wizard of Oz was/and is Irene's favorite book/movie...see the Wicked Witch of the East legs and ruby slippers? Yep, for years I've been wanting to make a Wizard of Oz themed wreath for her...I will soon begin. Wish me luck.







24 comments :

  1. I'm sure your wreath will be incredible, and I look forward to seeing it. We are getting to your favorite time of the year when the spooky stuff comes out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed...as you know I love this time of year for so many reasons.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I have to research that book. I like the pelican images. The wreath should be awesome, it will be a great gift to your daughter. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's a great book....a bit of tears shed with elation and on the same token, a bit of tears shed because of the sadness of it all. I would recommend the book.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a good book!!!

    I'm looking forward to seeing your Wizard of Oz wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun reading Ghost Birds. I did the same thing with the new lens - read reviews, looked for sales, talked aloud and in my head about whether I "needed" it. Finally, Bob (who was probably getting sick of hearing about it) said, "Buy it already!" It's true - we are getting too old to delay gratification! (Speaking for myself, of course.) I like the story of you and your daughter singing "Off to See the Wizard." The wreath will be cute and a good reminder of fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're BOTH getting up there in years....I can live with that!!

      Delete
  5. I love the witches .. 12, 15 and 17 are my most favorite. all the edits are really cool. I could tell they were a little different than the Super Photo. I love the orginal of your hubby working. congrats on finding your book and love those red shoes . can't wait to see the finished project. it will stir up fond memories for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a work in progress....a slow job of work. I'm working on it in the garage so I don't have to clean it up each time I take a break...and it's HOT in there. LOL

      Thanks Sandra

      Delete
  6. Anni I always enjoy visiting, seeing your lovely art and photos. I especially love visiting as you prepare for Halloween showing all your decorations. My daughter is a Wizard of Oz fan too. Saw it the first time at 2 years old and was mesmerized the entire time. At age three we got our first family pet. A might mini Dachshund...yep his name was Toto.
    Looking forward to seeing your wreath.
    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Dachshunds! [psssst...don't tell our furry babies that, okay?]

      Delete
  7. I cannot wait to see your Oz wreath!!! And I somehow think Dorothy and Toto will NOT be in it! Your pelican is DIVINE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...it's about the Wicked Witch of the EAST.

      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  8. You're the second person who has talked about prisma. I've got to go check that app out. I've liked the edits I've seen done with it.
    Can't wait to see what that wreath looks like. I can picture the two of you riding and singing. I would join right in with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that Irene lived closer so we could 'rehash' our good ol' days together.

      Thank Ann

      Delete
  9. That Prisma app looks very cool!
    I love the story aout you and Irene singing. I used to do that to embarrass my kids,but none of them joined me. :)
    Good luck on that wreath!
    I think I figured out that crazy thing with my sign in. I do a prayer request and church information line for church. I think I was signed into it, instead of my normal blogger count. I need to remember to sign out of it when I finish! Sorry for the confusion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just hoping you weren't hacked!! Bloggers have been hacked before and it messes it all up for you. Glad to know you figured it out.

      Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  10. I would love to see that wreath. We do not have this tradition here, but I have made several and gave them to friends. It is a lovely custom.

    As a rule, I am not impressed with the Prisma app, but your experiments look good. The objects were wisely chosen. When someone uses prisma on small kids or kittens, the results are somewhat scary, in my view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is entitled to their opinions! I haven't tried with children...we don't have any that age around my part of Texas...in our neighborhood even. LOL

      Delete
  11. Well I don't have a smart phone and won't have one so will have to do without prisma. I love your edits and know you had a grand time experimenting! Awaiting the completion of your amazing wreath. I just know it will be very creative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I dunno about the wreath...It's taking a lot of experimenting and having Bud help out this time.

      Delete
  12. I look forward to seeing your wreath!

    ReplyDelete

.