my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


You Don't Know Jack!!

Most often my routine is to stop at the neighborhood market after my walking. Just so I can buy me a deli salad with delicious roasted turkey and cranberries atop the leafy greens. Well, the other day, as I was walking through the store, heading to the produce aisle, I spotted this very odd, kinda ugly in a peculiar way, and unusually shaped 'thing' on the shelf by the organic foods! Something I've never recalled seeing before. I had to stop and check it out. Have you ever seen them? Perhaps you have seen them....and EATEN the fruit? They're called Jackfruit. They grow on trees, and from what I've read online after getting home that day...they weigh an average 35 [kilos]-80 pounds!! The ones on display were huge. About the size of a LARGE whole watermelon!! Now if my math is correct, at the going price of $118.40 per fruit, the next day refuse [if you get my drift] is worth more than a grilled steak and fixins' at a posh restaurant!!

- - -

Next up is something that we've had for decades! Bud made this for the holidays one day while I was at work and it was his day off from his job. He took some barbed wire we had saved from his folks ranch when we had a house built on the land. The way it's stored is usually rolled. He took that roll of wire and decorated it with a western theme along with some holly and natural dried plants, put a rope bow on it and a couple of resin cowboys...placed it on our large entrance gate by our driveway to our home. When we retired and relocated to Arizona, we had it out for Christmas on our stone wall. Then, moving to Texas....it hung on our garage wall ever since....for nearly 12 years. I told him, even tho the barbed wire had a sentimental value, to either clean it up and revamp it or 'Let's toss it!'. He cleaned it up and we now have it on our living room wall along with all the Texas/Old West theme. And by the way, the wreath weighs about as much as the Jackfruit!!

- - -

Another project was to get 8 more photos of birds processed and framed in  a collage frame! My last one to hang on the bird sanctuary wall was this one...


top left to right:  Carolina Wren, Vermillion Flycatcher, Bald Eagle, Ring Necked Duck.  Bottom Left to right: Blue Headed Vireo,  European Starling, Golden Plover and Black Phoebe

The last one that was processed and framed yesterday [I don't have it up on the wall yet] was this one:



top left to right:  Yellowheaded Blackbird, Grasshopper Sparrow, RARE in Texas Sooty Tern [it took me 4 trips to Rockport Texas to find it and get a photo of this all pelagic* tern] *pelagic meaning seabird -rarely on land- and I have scheduled MORE photos of the tern to be found at I'd Rather B Birdin' at noon today, Hudsonian Godwit, Monk Parakeet, Blackpoll Warbler, Spotted Sandpiper, and Clapper Rail.

By the way, my bird fetish is not held to just photography...I read bird books, I have bird T-shirts, and many many pieces of jewelry with birds. While in Rockport, after Bud spotted the sooty tern, we stopped and shopped. I found two new sets of earrings. [not as weighty as the Jackfruit!]





- - -

Above the garage door exterior, I have another revamped project done. One I've been putting off for a couple of years. The LARGE butterfly next to the house numbers was cut from wood by Bud and I painted it....only for the fact over the years, the sunlight has badly faded the details. While Bud was cleaning the barbed wire wreath, I figured I best do something worthwhile also, afterall, the garage door was open, the heat was penetrating inside...what better time? I got the ladder set up, unscrewed the butterfly from its perch and started repainting....it's now recognizable again. [I think maybe it would like the Jackfruit pulp?!!]



36 comments :

  1. Hee heeee hee, my sis is also a bird girl, so I don't think you anything but normal. I'm impressed with the wreath, both its coming into being and remaining with you all these years, to shine again now, and as a beautiful object to have in the home. I'd like one too, who to get to make it, I know the perfect person, if I may steal your idea?
    Enjoy your summer, I am constantly cold this winter. Cannot wait to trade seasons with you *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I'd take some of your winter temps!!! Well, depends on just HOW COLD it is in S A.

      Delete
  2. {{{grinning}}Thanks for the smiles---as always, your posts are plum enjoyable. Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so grand to read your comments Linda. I enjoy your visits.

      Delete
  3. No, I've never seen a jackfruit. Price buggers, aren't they? Have you read "Wesley the Owl"? It's my favorite book about birds, in this case a particular bird who lived nineteen years with his gal friend, the author. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...I read and reviewed the book a while ago. In fact I think you got to read it from the library because of my review if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  4. it is so not fair to have TWO creative and talented artist in one house... the wreathe is beautiful and great for year round to me. as is the butterfly.. perfect way to surround your self with birds, wall hanging and hanging in your ears. nope, never seen or heard of jack fruit... I do know the saying you don't know Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....that was the first thing I thought of when I read what those monstrous ugly things were..."Jack"...you don't know jack.

      Delete
  5. I like the wreath- it has character! I don't think I have ever seen or heard of jackfruit...it doesn't look very appealing! Cute earrings! You two have a great weekend..hope the heat relents a bit..it's stifling here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still heating up around here, in fact doesn't cool down much at night right now either.

      Thanks Terri.

      Delete
  6. Hello, Jackfruit is new to me, never seen it. I love the pretty wreath and your framed bird photos are awesome. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your framed collages are just perfect! I need to do this. Bud's wreath is so tasteful and pretty. Have you ever tried jackfruit? This season there are some strange things in our produce aisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I've never tried it before, never heard of or seen them 'til the other day.

      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  8. Never heard of Jackfruit (weird, yet insanely expensive ;o) Your photo collages turned out beautifully, and I sure do love that butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...way too costly in my opinion.
      Thanks Jen.

      Delete
  9. I think I'll pass on the Jackfruit! Those bluebird earrings are sweet. You and bud did a good job on your hanging crafts. Now, go have a cold drink and get out of the heat! (I like the bird wall and your Header is amazing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worn the bluebird earrings a lot since I bought 'em too. LOL

      Thanks Barb

      Delete
  10. Thank you for this little insight into your day. Appreciate you sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of jackfruit and at that price I would never buy it. Now that salad you were after sounds pretty good.
    Love the wreath and the butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now, you liked the crafts....go figure. LOL
      Oh yes, that salad is so good. And I too skipped the chance to buy the jackfruit. Never. And by the looks of what is inside once cut open, I don't think I'd try it for 'free' either.

      Delete
  12. Never heard of or seen Jackfruit. Where does it grow? Your wreath that Bud made is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. India, I read.
      Thanks Paula...Bud is proud of his wreath. :-)

      Delete
  13. I've heard of jackfruit, but hae never seen it. At that price, I will never taste it either!
    I love your bird collages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari. Yep, way too expensive to even try it.

      Delete
  14. They had Jack Fruit for a while in one of the stores here.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd prefer your cherry yogurt Dora. LOL

      Delete
  15. You do awesome work on all the birds you share. I like the old things you still treasure. Just a little love and tender care goes a long way. Never heard Jack Fruit but it does not look like something I would want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured if I said to Bud 'Let's toss it'...he'd surely clean it up again and get it looking good like before. It worked like a charm.

      Delete
  16. The jackfruit is new to me. I like the barbed wire wreath and the butterfly a lot! You sure do keep busy and diversified. The birds all framed and named are great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never tasted jackfruit. They should cut one into pieces and sell it like they do for melons so we could afford to try it. I like the wreath your dh refurbished and your wooden butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There y'go. Get a vendor at the store and let us taste test. I'm not sure I'd try it even then. LOL

      Thanks Terra

      Delete
  18. I just loved this visit with you!!! I have never tasted a jackfruit though I have seen them before!
    I love redeeming things!!! It just makes me feel good!! I took some spray paint and repainted our metal table and four chairs this weekend! They look so much better!!! I tried to redeem a bedside table but not sure about the verdict on that one!
    LOVE your header. The birds look like a painting.
    Hope you and Bud have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete

.