my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Epiphyllum Blossoms...

For a few weeks now I've been keeping tabs on my two epiphyllum plants. As I've posted already many times, they were purchased online and shipped to me from San Antonio, Texas. [When they arrived in the shipping container, they were just ONE small bracket with two shoots coming out; bare root.] They've grown and grown; taking about three years to finally bloom for me. And, until this year, the blossoms were only ONE at a time. But, this year, there were one...then two opened at once, then........there were THREE flowers blooming at the same time!!! They have been pampered [being brought in on the winter nights that are predicted below 50°].

I've posted the flowers several times here before, but just have to 'brag' a bit 'cause of the blossom trio.

One time, since the blossoms bloom only at night and close for good during the day, I got up at o'dark thirty to snap a few photos after I watered the pots the day before, knowing that that night the flower would be open....

Just one blossom this time 'round!




Then, a few days later, there were two blossoms at once! But it was raining. As soon as there was a break in the weather I ventured out, and got some photos at daybreak, before the raindrops on the petals evaporated...




Rain droplets on the stems seemed interesting...




Yet, this past holiday weekend, I hit the jackpot!! The one plant by the frog pond [bird bath actually, with frog figurines surrounding the bird bath] had THREE blossoms at once...







The fragrance from the epiphyllum is hard to describe, but so refreshing! Not overly sweet and nauseating, but a light perfume of vanilla and cinnamon, with a hint of sandalwood. The yard was literally a sachet of scent while I was outside getting photos...At least until the blooms closed for good.

12 comments :

  1. Pretty neat and new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would dearly LOVE to have more...but they don't do well in cold temps...I guess I could have more indoors, but I fear the cats would eat them....probably NOT Good.

      Thanks Tom.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!!! And so abundant. I wish we had blog smelling! Your pictures are great, and I love your cute frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting and beautiful flower! Thanks for getting up at night to share them with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Anni; Oh My!!! I can see how happy you are for the amazingly beautiful flowers. Yes, you sure "hit the jackpot" Congratulations♡♡♡
    We call this flower 'クジャクサボテン' which literally means 'peacock cactus'♪
    Somehow, I love the ones with raindrops (♡^.^♡)
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how pretty those are. A shame they only bloom at night

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Wish I could smell one, with your description making it sound pretty perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, it is a beautiful plant, lovely blooms and photos. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning stunning stunning photos of these gorgeous night blooms... my sister to these, on a vine not like these, had 10 blooms one night and 8 the next and i missed them all...40 feet in the air. the water droplets are AMAZING... our neighbor has this type and once many moons ago i went there early am to take photos from the street and hoped they did not come out shooting at me... i just checked and my neighbors are not quite like yours but similar.
    http://snapperone.blogspot.com/2013/07/cereus-chalybaeus-re-post-91909.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a cool flower. they are so very lovely and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots! They look kind of like fireworks!

    ReplyDelete

.