my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Saturday at Rockport...

After 120 degrees heat index advisory on Monday, temps are steadily reaching 90 degrees.


Sign within the park grounds

I check out the online Texas Birds Forum almost daily...for sure during migration...this past weekend I opened the forum site and noticed a rare bird was spotted in Rockport Texas. It's less than an hour's drive from home. So the two of us boarded our vehicle and set out in the morning to see if we could find it where the sighting was posted. Tho we didn't find the seabird, we did enjoy the park on the beach. The sky was clear blue, then partly cloudy with a dark overcast, and then again cleared off where the sun beat down on the weekend revelers. The day on the beach was a busy one. BBQs set up, sun worshipers on beach towels, kids of all ages frolicking in the sparkling gulf water, joggers, fishermen, people watchers, those in their summer garb sitting under the palm cabanas reading a book, picnickers, family - it was like turning back the clock to the 1950s again. Witnessing all around me, family values and fun times.

This park? It's called....ROCKPORT BEACH PARK.  The town of Rockport is HUGE on water activities...AND birding!  They hold festivals and have signage throughout for some of the country's hottest 'hot spots' and estuaries/bird sanctuaries. After giving up on the search for the elusive bird, while Bud sat under a shade-covered area and did his share of people watching, I walked the park's path near the lagoon area twice to get my 3 miles of walking in. Of course, I took pictures --


Silhouetted Palm Tree


Beach Kite Flying - Collared Dove - Reddish Egret at the Lagoon



Kites Galore


Loggerhead Shrike in Palm Tree


...After we left the park, we drove to a 'newly opened' wetland park, just to check it out...


Tule Marsh -east
There IS a WEST Tule Marsh also
...up the road toward Copano Bay to the northeast of Rockport...




...within the boundary there is a nicely constructed boardwalk ending with a covered gazebo-observation deck. On all sides the wetlands/marsh is lush and green for now with the precipitation. After the boardwalk ends the pathway continues through the live oak trees and a paved walkway, meandering and twisting and turning. Several extened outlooks through the oak you can see the marshy swamp. It will be GREAT during the winter months and migration season! I spotted a Ladder Backed Woodpecker with its mate...she flew off, but I managed to focus on him just before he followed her, flying into the woodlands.

28 comments :

  1. Both places look awesome. After seeing the first set I want to head to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are pretty awesome, and pretty.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Anni! Sorry you missed the seabird. I did enjoy the birds you did see, the reddish egret is a favorite. The kites look pretty. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kite flying expo was fantastic against the sky!!

      Delete
  3. Love the kites and I'm glad you were able to get out in spite of the weather being so hot. I would have wilted, I'm sure. Great capture of the woodpecker. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad...we were there early enough and home by the time the heat came on stronger...or I would have wilted too. Thanks D J

      Delete
  4. Sigh, I miss the beach...you def. live in a beautiful area...now we are firmly planted in western NY. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New york state isn't a bad area!

      Delete
  5. I miss the beach but NOT the humid heat. Your shrike and red headed egret are unusual to me. Good shot of Mr. Woodpecker. Very interesting blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left to go grocery shopping before 8 a.m. today. Only 'cause the humidity is alerting everyone to STAY indoors. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  6. I would have enjoyed the kite flying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....it was fun watching them silently soaring with the breeze.

      Delete
  7. ugg on the heat index, ours is not that bad yet. at 10 am today it was 97 and stifling. we cut our walk in half. hard to breathe in the humidity. i had to giggle at the 50's comment because i bet everyone on the beach had a DEVICE with them and those kites are certainly not like any we had back then... just sayin.... but i know what you meant.. doing the outdoor thing no in the house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I can honestly say I saw only joggers with phones and earplugs. Those on the beach were too busy playing games [like volleyball]/swimming. It was like time had gone back to the 'good ol' days' on the beach.

      Delete
  8. Great jaunt and good photos from your day of searching for the elusive bird. 120 degrees would be hard to handle. The forecast here is calling for 33 tonight. I hope that's wrong, but it won't stay cold long enough to stunt my perrenials (I hope). I admire you for walking in that heat! I'd be fanning myself and appying ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you have no active comments at the moment on YOUR blog I must say I enjoyed your recent post. Fly fishing...my dad was a fisherman at heart...the scene looked all too familiar. LoVeD the wildflowers.

      You talk of spring at 33 degrees...and I am sitting by the A/C. lol

      Delete
  9. Fun kite shots Anni, and I love that egret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those egrets ARE special, I agree. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos of awesome places. I live in a flatter, cornfield type of terrain and enjoy seeing what the rest of our country looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, you would LOVE it here on the ranch! As we drove in yesterday I rolled the truck windows down and listened to all the birds singing and watch them float across the fields and road and back over the fields. I felt like Cinderella with the birds coming out to give me a welcome and guide us in!! Once again, I FORGOT to bring my bird journal and bird book with me. I am such an amateur but I do love to watch the birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in the country, enjoying the air, the ambiance, and all the wildlife/flowers is a perfect time. Enjoy.

      Delete
  12. Very colourful kites and loved all your bird images

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always happy to see great wildlife habitat.. Wonderful post Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful mix of photos. I like the Woodpecker best.

    ReplyDelete

.