my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Tale of Two Sisters - Part III


Historic
FULTON MANSION
Exterior Front, Fountain, Exterior Back
Rockport, Texas
 


I took Sharon to Rockport/Fulton Texas one day while she was visiting.  We toured an historical mansion of the Fulton family which is located in the small coastal town of Rockport.  To help out a bit, Rockport and Fulton merge together making it one town.  As you drive along the highway at one spot, you're in Rockport, cross the intersection at the same area and you're in Fulton. Together, the combined population hovers around 10,000 residents. It's popular to the Winter Texans [those who reside here during the winter months while their homes up north are snowy and cold!]. Fishing, camping, birding [well known for the Spring Hummingbird Festival] and museums are the norm. Just a few miles across the bay is Goose Island State Park.  First stop was the Mansion's Visitor Center....




...I will keep the images small in size for loading time. They can be enlarged for better viewing by clicking on them if you choose---




At one point I donned a cowboy hat, spurs and carried a lasso around the museum to 'get into the spirit'. I then convinced Sharon to dress in a corset and a bustle. I told her to look aluring. "Is this the best you can do?" I couldn't resist --


"Lord Have Mercy!!"

- - -

George Fulton was ingenious!! An inventor, a surveyor, a teacher, lieutenant in the Republic of Texas, customs director, land commissioner, among other occupations. He was 12 years senior of his wife, Harriet. Together they had 6 children. I say he was ingenious for the time frame in history...why? Mainly because of the designing and building the Fulton Mansion. It was reinforced by steel beams, had running water [even flushing toilets and wash basins in walnut cabinets with faucets that drained into a cistern for gardening the vast property], gas forced heating [he actually used gasoline vapors]. Surprisingly, never once having any fires from the vapor.

The mansion has withstood 17 hurricanes. And I 'guess-timate' it's just a mere hundred yards from the bay's coast as you can seen from the fountain photo at the beginning of this post!!

...the interior:


Front Parlor, chandelier, sewing room desk


Solarium


Bedroom Secretary, Beveled Mirror, Front Parlor heating unit  [faux fireplace]



Fulton Bedroom, Guest Bedroom, Guest Bedroom Wash Basin


Flushing Toilet [water closet above with Pull Chain], Bathtub and Wash Basin



Library Window


...in the basement



Kitchen, Kitchen Pantry, Servants Eating Area



Stairway from basement to Ground Floor, Laundry Room, Larder



...and last but not least, Mrs. Harriet Fulton's Lace Maker and Christmas Menu...


Altho Bud and I have toured this mansion a couple of times, since then it's been refurbished and much improvements.  This time the basement was open to the public which when Bud and I were there, it wasn't.  We two gals had a good time...some of the kitchen implements we both remember mom having!  I still have some of her antiques packed away....hopefully to be handed down to Irene sometime in the future.  We had lunch on the bay, then drove back to Corpus and enjoyed some nachos and beer while playing Trivial Pursuit.  Another Good day all the way around.  The next day is when it flooded from heavy rain.  Glad we went there to Rockport when we did!!

Part four will conclude the Tale of Two Sisters ---to be published later.

TALE OF TWO SISTERS
part I
part II

24 comments :

  1. Glad you two cute sisters had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we did...all week long. lol

      Delete
  2. Your timing was impeccable! And I did enjoy the pictures. Bustles are sure a strange fashion, aren't they? I wish high heels were obsolete, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any heel higher than 2" any more. I don't work or go out to fancy places; no need for 'em.

      Delete
  3. i do love to visit historical mansions and the tour through your photos makes me want to visit this one. it amazes me at the things they have in these homes from so many many years ago... love the sister in the bustle and am so very happy i do not have to wear those undergarments.. the heat is killing me now and if i had those on i might expire. you two had a wonderful fun visit and shared it with us.. thanks....while wandering through the rooms in your photos, i kept trying to picture in my head where i would put my laptop, desktp, tablet.. he he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....and where did you decide? I think I'd use the solarium for my computer. And have a book sitting by handy.

      Oh yes, the heat here too. 'Nough to make you want WINTER back.

      Delete
  4. Oh my word Anni I think it must be illegal to have as MUCH fun as you and your sister had. I was smiling as I read. What a pretty place to visit. Did you and your sis sit up late at night talking too? I have a picture of my great grandparents that looks a lot like the one of the Fultons
    PS did you per chance see my Tuesday (5/24) post? I think you'd get a good laugh out of it.

    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, her health isn't up to what it used to be, but we had lots of giggles. I'm an early 'go to bed' gal, and get up early. So, it was mostly waiting for her to wake up. LOL

      No, I didn't see your Tuesday post, but now I'm on my way to re-visit.

      Delete
  5. Oh we toured that mansion one year when it was all decorated up for Christmas -- loved it. Obviously a lot more has been done since we were there; how I wish we could come back. (Though I'd come in Spring for the birds if I had my choice.) We stayed two seasons in Port Aransas and one in Fulton.... loved being a Winter Texan in both locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been there during the holiday season too....long ago. It was pretty, but I must tell you .... the improvements I noticed this past tour with my sister are outstanding. I love the furniture of the era most.

      Delete
  6. Interesting documentation of Fulton Mansion. I like the fountain. :)

    Have a good weekend!

    Alexander
    Alex's World! - http://alex.kakinan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your weekend too Alex. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Old homes like that are so fascinating,but I'm sure glad we don't have to live like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with servants [I think I read where they had 6] it couldn't be all that bad. lol

      Delete
  8. what a beautiful mansion. Sounds like the two of you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we did...good times!!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this house tour. A place I would love to visit with beer and nachos afterwards :) I cannot imagine wearing a bustle. I have a picture of my great-grandmother wearing one in an awesome dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strapping it on was a chore...not to mention wearing it all day long in the HEAT. lol Thanks Michelle.

      Delete
  10. You and your sister remind me of me with my two sisters! We get so crazy together, and we sure do laugh! You two look cute in your outfits!
    I would love to visit this place. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can get a bit 'wild'. That's the fun of it all. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  11. So glad you had the chance to share the Fulton Mansion and story with our sister and us who visit your blog.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful and interesting historic house! Love the bustle! :-)

    ReplyDelete

.