my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Rainy Days and Sundays...

The day before, it was warm, dry, bright and filled with sunshine.  Then...

Early in the morning, I woke up to another Texas Springtime rainstorm. Heavy amount fell in a short time. It was a predicted forecast, so no surprise to me. Altho, the ground is saturated to the surface, flooding came easily. Thankfully, the storm was a fast moving front, so it didn't last all that long-a-time.

To keep from being stuck at home all day, I hopped in the car and drove across the harbor bridge to Indian Point, Sunset Lakes, and then into the outskirts of Portland, Texas to a bird sanctuary. Mostly, knowing that not too many birds would be out in the storms, I just wanted to get outdoors. I walked the trails, and kept an eye on the sky above for more storms moving in....by mid-morning, it was still dark, quiet, and yet ominous-looking; quite eerie.

Still, the cloud formations were extraordinary. I couldn't help myself from aiming skyward and snapping the shutter button on the camera. Shadows everywhere, a dark ambiance in the stillness of the morning. I was alone on the path, enjoying the solitude...



Very little numbers of wildlife. A few birds braved the stormy morning, frantically feeding...



...it began to sprinkle on me as I made the 1 mile marker on the path, so I turned around and headed back to the car to head to Portland...




Driving the country roads from Portland, Texas to Fred Jones Sanctuary, I encountered some heavy rainfall at one point. I figured I was safe from getting too wet, in arriving to my destination, since there is a covered area to sit at the benches out of the rain and look out to the wooded area and 'soak' up the peace and quiet of what was left of the morning. Upon arriving and getting through the closed gate, I was greeted with a field of beautiful wild flowers. A hint of the wet soil was a fresh scent. Birdsong in the woods could be heard ever so faintly. Thunder in the distance.



A lone peach tree had a few small early fruits hanging on the barren branches. After enjoying the calm before the storm clouds began to pack a punch of intense roiling and color change.  I left the sanctuary and headed back home. At the county road intersection where I turn to head back to Portland, Texas, several wind generators waved hello as I stopped before turning....




...heading back, I saw ahead of me the direction I was heading...I drove into another weather squall before getting on the freeway to Corpus.





[birds seen here today in sequence:  TriColored Heron, Great Blue Heron, Black Bellied Plover, Lark Sparrows, Ruddy Turnstone -in breeding plumage-, and Laughing Gulls in front of Wind Generator with use of zoom lens]

72 comments :

  1. Amazing, ominous skies! And I love those bird pictures. Glad you are safe and sound, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't worried about not being safe...it was just another Spring storm in Texas. Maybe I'm one of those types that think "Nothing can happen". I should learn to be more cautious I guess. Thanks D J

      Delete
  2. An adventurer you are for sure! What pretty wildflowers and magnificent sky shots you enjoyed! Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni...you should be a birding guide in your area...you find the best trails w the prettiest most unique birds. The cloud formations were beautiful too.

    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that I see what you did with your "open spot in the clouds" photo in making the new header! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the header IS from the photos today...you noticed!!! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Amazing photos, as always. I think I found the owl nest in our back yard! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....that WOULD be SO exciting Jennifer. Lucky you.

      Delete
  6. Those clouds look so threatening, I don't think I would have hung around to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'kinda get used to seeing this around here in the Spring.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I've seen on the national news about the floods, storms in Texas. Those clouds look really frightening. The wildflower and bird photos are great. Glad you make it okay through the bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job on this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photos, love your blog header

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures of the storm, Anni. Love the ones with the sun and blue sky above the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I really liked the low hanging clouds at the sanctuary just before I left for home that day.

      Delete
  11. That is a pretty ominous looking sky but beautiful also. Love the picture of the flower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite threatening at times....but still pretty at the SAME time.

      Delete
  12. Creative shots despite the weather ~ all very wonderful and love your header ~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love capturing the sky images.You got some super ones here.Also love the wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like such a nice day. Not weatherwise, but a good walk, the smell of rain along with birds and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the fragrance of rain on the soil is great.

      Delete
  15. Hello, Anni! wonderful bird sightings. The sky shots are amazing. I am a fair weather birder, would never be out in the rain. The wildflowers are lovely. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless it's raining heavily, a little sprinkle won't keep me indoors. LOL

      Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  16. These are awsome moody skies Anni and I love all the shots of waders and Heron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret....loved viewing the video you shared today also. What a winner.

      Delete
  17. Looks like you had a nice morning outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, beautiful pics of your morning outdoors. Good pics of the birds, sky, and fences. Thanks for sharing them for us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those clouds certainly were ominous, but I'm glad they didn't keep you inside, Anni. Some beautiful photos on that day, including the wonderful field of wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb...it's so much different here in the Spring than in Breckenridge of course...both having their own beautification.

      Delete
  20. Lovely looking Turnstone and Plover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. number 11 in lightbox show is my favorite, all of the sky photos are magnificent.. you are so brave and i wish i had just one tiny iota of your no fear attitude. i am terrified of storms, don't drive in traffic, do not go out hiking by myself, your trip is beyond me. driving there and seeing those looming storms plus alone.... wow... and i smiled when i read to keep from being stuck at home. i love home, i rather be home than any where else.. but i wish i was just a tiny bit like you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They call me the wonderer! A song comes to mind. I like being home too, but if I was stuck there day in and day out, I'd go mad.

      We all have phobias...yours is being alone/storms....mine is SNAKES. I hate snakes.

      Delete
  22. Those laughing gulls in front of the wind generator - first I thought they are too close to the blades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they were quite some distance from the blades....being that I used the zoom.

      Delete
  23. Those clouds do look threatening. Glad you found some birds
    Beautiful wildflower photos. You could link in to Gail's Wildflower Wednesday (the 4th Wednesday of each month at her blog Clay and Limestone)
    Hope you are having a great day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to remember about Gail. Thanks for the heads up on that. And thanks for stopping by Lea.

      Delete
  24. I wonder what flower is that. It's very pretty. It's been pretty hot over here for the past few weeks but starting to rain this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but my guess would be some kind of aster, maybe?

      Delete
  25. I have to admire your determination and pesistence Anni. That was some sky to wake up to. faced with that most folk would go back to bed and hide under the duvet.

    I nearly did that today but went out and saw a few birds. Are we dolally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....first I had to look up doolally....Bud would say to me "Short Trip"!! rofl

      Thanks for the visit Phil.

      Delete
  26. Great photos Anni. Storms create amazing cloud action up there. Brave birds and brave you for getting out. Like Phil, I probably would have pulled the covers back over my head :) Thank you for getting out there and sharing these super shots with us. Thank you for linking with Today's Flowers. Those wildflowers are so pretty. Hope the day is full of sunshine for you. Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of rain out your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the looks of things this morning, another cloud covered day. But hot!!

      Thanks Denise.

      Delete
  27. what a nice day it turned out to be...wonderful that you could sit on a bench with a covering and listen/watch the pouring rain! great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No where near the beach tho....it was in the prairie that day. But, yes it was a nice quiet spot to enjoy the thunderous clouds and watch the storms move in.

      Delete
  28. they really are beautiful, moody, broody skies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! And as you say, very pretty.

      Delete
  29. Love the cloudy skies. We are going Wildflower hunting in Eastern Washington this weekend----well there are wildflowers everywhere but this will be a special area we will be visiting. Hiking and fun.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you find 'tons' of wildflowers. Do let me know when you post photos of your 'hunt'.

      Delete
  30. So nice. I love to see your photos. An unknown area or country for me. Thanks for sharing.

    http://momentsfrozentime.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by to enjoy the photos!!!

      Delete
  31. You definitely weathered the storms to see all these sights. We had our share in Fort Worth as well, but I was inside looking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, inside looking out is the only option!!

      Delete
  32. My you captured some awesome and ominous looking sky shots here. I especially liked the one towards the end as you were heading home. - The birds were certainly brave to be out on a stormy looking day. Your fence shot was nice, it had some pretty lighting. Also loved that gorgeous wild flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Thanks Ida. That image is also my favorite of the cloud bank!

      Delete
  33. A nature feast Anni..thank you for linking into Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. A wonderful feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dramatic skies. Beautiful flowers. Love the shot of the birds and wind turbines.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The cloud changes its face so fast.
    It enjoys to show many of her beautiful sides at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Superb skies!!! Hope the rains finally abate in Houston...

    ReplyDelete
  38. those skies really are scary looking. the wildflowers were beautiful. glad you got home safely.

    ReplyDelete

.