The Wind Beneath My Wings...

Of course, I'm excited. But, I am going to go out on a limb here; the Broncos will lose by many points! I still have a soft spot for the team tho...been following them since the 1960s!!! When Craig Morton was quarterback....the majority probably never heard of him. Oh my gosh, I just realized I've been a fan as long as the super bowl existed. I'm ancient!! Even tho the game will no doubt be one-sided -me thinks-, I will still have my blue and orange garb and my 'traditional' blue and orange cupcakes. No different, after all these years. Secretly hoping I'm wrong in my prediction.  There was a duo on the 'old team' long ago that continues today to be my favorite players...Elway and #87....wowsers!...Ed Macaffery Still....GO BRONCOS



Several weeks ago, I had mentioned on a cold, very windy day, Bud and I walked along the trail that connects the two parks adjacent to two city boundaries, Portland/Corpus Christi, Texas. The parks have two names even tho they are of one section of land...On the Corpus Christi side, it's Indian Point. On the Portland, Texas side, it's called Sunset Lakes. While walking along the path I stopped and watched an egret preen; having difficulties keeping balanced and feathers flying all a'kilter. My first thought was "a bad hair day" but that is so cliché, I'll forgo with that and just share the photos I took of it - - -






It's February, and y'all know what that means...on the 9th I will be 67. Bud found this cute, little, fun, book for me and brought it home. All about the year 1949. I had to read it from cover to cover of course. Brought back tons of memories of things I can remember...no, not of the particular year...but the lifestyles that changed from 1949 and how my parents raised me throughout my formative years. That was the year that was...from the onset of dishwashers, TV sets, nonsensical cartoons, clothes, women becoming part of the work force outside the home.  They taught me how to act and learn respect. Things that somehow seem like the simpler life; it was better in so many ways!! Thru the years, I've gone from toddler, to adolescence, to wife, at one time loving to travel a lot around the country, mother, grandmother and retiree. Life is good.

From inside the cover - 1949:




48 comments :

  1. Funny to look back all those years ago. Things have certainly changed since then. And yes, I would say that egret was definitely having a bad hair day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, no....wind beneath my wings. rofl

      Delete
  2. Anni, my hubby is a 1949 baby as well. I think our generation has seen more changes than any before us, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Our grandkids are seeing a lot of changes these days. Who knows what the next generation will have in store.

      Delete
  3. great photos of the egret. we love to watch them. we have one that hunts in our ground cover in the front yard, visible through our living room windows. he is so patient waiting to STRIKE the lizards and bugs.. and frogs. i was born in 1944 so all of this is familiar to me. we had no TV until 1959 when i was 15 but did have a neighbor with one we watched sometimes. the changes from my childhood to now are so many i can't think of all of them. in the deep south, GA, women did not work until the 60's, or most did not. babies and housework and no wearing of pants until the mid 70's... a much different view of the world in north and south

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and all we get are sparrows and doves in our yard. I best think of moving to Florida if egrets are in yards!!!

      Delete
  4. That is a wonderful series of the "fancy haired" Egret! (I was a teenager when you were born.) Time flew by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too fast time goes, it seems. Especially the older I get.

      Delete
  5. Hello Ani, the book sounds like a fun read! Love the beautiful egret. I am cheering for Denver to win! Happy February, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. You, from the NE USA, and you're rooting the Broncos? Wow....good for you. lolololol

      Delete
  6. Wow, that egret is a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially think they're 'extra' pretty when their feathers are all amok like when the wind blows through them. Or their courting display.

      Delete
  7. Anni
    I recently turned 67...but I still feel 16. LOL Good news is I found out that I am now the youngest in the house. Madi will be 14 in March/72 in cat years which makes her older than her Dad too. LOL Happy Birthday week.
    I love the close up of the egret. As always NatGEO quality.

    OH DEAR WE ARE AT A FORK IN OUR ROAD IN OUR FOOTBALL CHEERS.
    WE MUST SAY IT LOUD AND PROUD....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAROLINA PANTHERS!!!
    WE ARE SO EXCITED. MOM HAS A POST OF ME an itty bitty SIR PURR (panther's mascot) going up later this week
    hugs madi and cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel, deep down, Manning and his team don't have a chance with the Panthers. I look forward to Madi in her 'costume'.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful creature!!! A delightful post! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! Welcome back to the world of blogging.

      Delete
  9. Oh, that is a gorgeous bird, Anni!! And such great captures!! Thanks for sharing!! Have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....have a great week yourself Sylvia.

      Delete
  10. Anni, I sure hope your prediction is wrong for the Super Bowl, but I must admit I'm not an avid fan. I'm sure we'll watch with our kids and Grands and cheer for the Broncos. I recently ordered a turtleneck on-line in what I thought was a peach color (it was on sale). When I got it, it was an ugly orange which I guess I'll keep and wear next Sunday! That egret has a hairdo that I spend hours to achieve. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ugly Orange"....orange is NOT one of my favorite colors either. lol

      Thanks Barb, for the wishes. And I was lol about the hairdo comment. Too funny.

      Delete
  11. An egret that is just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bird was sure having a time with that hair (feathers). Pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....they ARE pretty.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful feathery egret. I was 9 years old that year, so you are a mere child. I don't remember much that you show from that book except the original Little Women (I probably saw it a few years later, because we lived in a real podunk little town in Eastern Washington, doubt that we got first run movies.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I thought I was the only one to use the term podunk!!!

      Delete
  15. Great Egret pictures.Looks like he is trying out for a rock band,with those spiky hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....now that you mention it, yes....a rock star!!

      Delete
  16. That egret is just beautiful! And what fun to get that book. I'm six months ahead of you, and am still alive and kicking, so I think you'll be able to handle 67. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks I need the encouragement.

      Delete
    2. Your comment on my homemade bread totally cracked me up!!! Lol

      Delete
    3. I really, REALLY want some of it 'bout now. I can taste it....gobs of butter on the warm bread....Heavenly.

      Delete
  17. I am a year older than you and I love to look at those books and cards that tell what life was like and the price of things from 1948! Take it form me - 67 is a piece of cake!!
    I am rooting for the Broncos too!!! HOWEVER, Michael Oher is a Panther and I am a tiny bit torn about that!!! I love Blindside and Leigh Ann Tuohy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we share a lot of kindred spirit!!!

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday!
    Love the Egret photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday soon Anni. We are of the same era - 70 in April. How time flies.
    See you at the weekend now I'm back to normal.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil!! An April 'fool'? No, I know...just kidding. Tho my daughter is one of those 'fools'...her birthday is April 1st.

      Hope you enjoyed your trip.

      Delete
  20. I am glad I was part of that era. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that feathered egret! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An early happy birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful year! Those photos of the egret are absolutely beautiful; you certainly captured a lovely creature well. The book about '49 sounds interesting to look through. I'm with you on cheering for the Broncos--Go Peyton Manning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the people's favorite it seems. Thanks Bethany.

      Delete

.