“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Cats...

From my newest coloring book of cats and kittens, I tried to make this cat face look like the Oaxacan Art that is seen throughout the Southwest and Old Mexico!! I oftentimes just stood and looked at one of these pieces of sculptures/wood carvings at art galleries all over the villages and cities in the Sonoran Desert when we lived there, and marveled at the talent in carving/painting them!! Beautiful, colorful, works!! 

The Culture & History of Oaxaca...




Several of you [and that includes ME! ] have expressed in comments left for me  your opinion on the prices of the adult coloring books....as expensive. Yes, I agree. They ARE costly.


But....



after the initial shock of paying for a coloring book at the going rate of 12 to 15 dollars, and a little bit of guilt feelings overriding my desire to enjoy it....Bud convinced me otherwise. And we both came to the same conclusion. One book of say 20-30 pages of printed material that will last for many hours/days of relaxation and calming effect after a busy day or the need for a quiet time to reflect on life....compare that to spending the same $15 for only a couple hours' entertainment of popcorn/soda/movie at the theater!!

Coloring Book at $15 compared to:
  1. $10 - $45 a pop for a manicure and $15 - $50 for a pedicure (not including tip)
  2. $12 and up for a matinee ticket plus small popcorn and medium drink [per person]
  3. A good bottle of wine - anywhere from $15 and up
  4. Dining out for Two - anywhere from $30 [not including alcoholic drinks added from the bar tab]
  5. A newly published best seller - around $20-$40!
  6. Admission to a Concert...can be EXPENSIVE
  7. Annual Memberships to Costco - Average $50 PLUS buying food...in bulk [which, by the way, you can do at ANY grocery store...you CAN buy in bulk without the membership fee!]
  8. A hair cut!!
  9. A tank full of gasoline; pleasure driving
  10. Tickets to a Sporting Event
So, weighing the differences here, a little divulging of a simple pleasure like a coloring book that gives you hours or enjoyment and relaxation, I think it depends on your values of time, money, and pleasures...whatever cranks your motor!! For me, the price of a book that helps calm nerves and have some quiet time is worth its weight in gold [cheaper than therapy too!! lol]

22 comments :

  1. oh I like the way Bud thinks. Do you suppose he could come to Pennsylvania and have a chat with my husband about my guilty pleasures? Wade doesn't understand why I need all the craft supplies I have. He should be grateful that I have them and I'm not sitting there chatting through the football games or the movies he watches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point out to Wade that $40 a month for his DISH network runs nearly $500 a year!! I bet your craft supplies are less expensive, and lasts longer than a year given that there are always 'left over' supplies!!

      Delete
    2. Good point. I'll let him know 😀

      Delete
    3. Ya...keep it in mind next time, lol

      Delete
  2. Do you use markers when colouring? It really is spectacular and I agree, far less expensive than most other simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...colored pencils. Yes...less expensive than my first reaction. But, the addiction can grow to more and more books. lol

      Delete
  3. I never enjoyed coloring when I was a kid, so I guess I'm not attracted to the coloring books for a reason. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to spend $15 for any book I'd want to keep! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a book worth keeping at that price these days is what I'd consider a bargain....but coloring book pricing is the issue today.

      Delete
  4. Your coloring skills are excellent but I would be screaming at the confinement of staying within the lines. Maybe they could invent books where you colored the actual lines, ya think? I do not think the books or anything that helps you feel good is too expensive at all. The cat is absolutely beautiful and that is due to your background and gallery experiences, I'm sure. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is all true and i agree with you 100 percent. that said i do none of the things on your list except for eat out. we do that once a week because i hate to cook.. it is not just the cost of the book, i have no pencils or paints to use and they are expensive to. of course the same thing applies to that. that is how i justify my cameras and bobs air planes. we do not go on vacation and have not for since 05, so we count the planes and cameras as vacations and we can play with them all the time. if i thought i would like to color these i would buy one, but i don't think i would use it. or that it would relax me. you are an artist and your cat is stunning. mine would be tacky i am sure.. maybe i should print a page off the computer and use my crayons to see if i would like it... i dont even buy books, i use my kindle and get them free and from the library....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books....it's a matter of willpower for me when it comes to NOT buying books.

      Delete
  6. Ha, ham love the bottle of wine on your list. Everybody's doing this, it just hasn't grabbed my curiosity enough. Beautiful woodpecker, all fluffy... Ours here aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. V --- a glass of wine hits the 'spot' doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. Cute opening Hawk, it's like he/she is looking right as us with a morning hello! Pretty rich colors on the cat coloring, and totally a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this thank you for this little escape

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all need to be good to ourselves in some form or fashion. Enjoy those coloring books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. in agreement with you.

    ReplyDelete

.