my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Wordy...

In our local news, there is to be a new structure going up. The groundbreaking held Sunday, January 31st.
    ... claims it will be one of the tallest in the world. -It's gonna be the second largest  in the world.  The largest  in the world is in Madrid, Spain. It will be the largest in the western hemisphere. ...sitting on a foundation that's 38 feet octagon,  three feet deep with steel and concrete, has 24 piers that go 48 feet into the ground. So if it were to blow over, it would pull up about three acres of land with it.-
Okay, so I need to get a few things off my chest. First, why? Is it to 'outdo' everyone? For prestige, for egos...what? And then, why in this gawd-awful area?  Will it be beautified with landscaping or just out in the field? Why this particular design? Being that the city is Corpus Christi [the body of Christ]...then, why not a crucifix instead of just the simple construction? The new, proposed structure is a cross. It's touted to become the 2nd tallest cross in the world... It will stand at the height of 210 feet [64 meters]!! But I tend to remain in a quandary...why not a well designed crucifix to depict the city's moniker? Why build this across the interstate from all the beastly looking oil refineries instead of a more pristine area on the bluff, downtown, near the bay and parks? And, why go to the expense [estimated over 1 Million dollars]...when so many are homeless and needy in our country? It boggles my mind. But, what is my opinion worth? Zip, zilch, nada. The only thing I like is the concept, and I do hope in some way it will be lighted in the nighttime landscape.  The last thought would be the impact on religious beliefs and the reaction of the populace around the area/country...that remains to be seen/heard.

* * *

Mentioning the adult coloring books in a previous post, I finished another with the colored pencils. Yes, I did not use the typical color of flesh -by that I mean the name 'flesh' is usually associated with the Caucasian persuasion- a Black Fairy? You betcha!! Why not? The flowers on this particular page reminded me of Foxglove blossoms...




* * *

I changed my profile image, did you notice? An owl, for my blog title.


* * *

The other day with the lyrics association with my photos and researching about what the psychological terminology is...if you missed it....when a song keeps running through your mind all day, the term is EARWORM. Again, researching this, the origin is from German, Ohrwurm. The word consists of 2 parts… das Ohr means the ear and der Wurm means the worm. The worm, an earwig, is an insect that crawls into your ear and in most cases has to be extracted. In modern English, a loose translation is a song, that you hear and once inside your mind, it is kind of hard to 'get it out again'… and this is exactly what these songs do to you. While reading about it and the science involved, I read about a recent episode of The Big Bang Theory [a popular American sit-com] and Sheldon was driving his roommates 'bananas' with humming a song that wouldn't leave his head. Watch it here: Sheldon's Earworm
    In popular cultures, authors have used earworms in their writings...a slogan, repetitive words, things that get stuck in your head...or Mark Twain writing about jingles in The Literary Nightmare. So many times catch phrases are used and they oftentimes become earworms.   One time in history a catch phrase was used distract the Nazis. Interesting reading...
We've all struggled with it from time to time and most often wish we'd never listened in the first place. But now that I'm done sharing, allow me run a test:----------


--------- "Hootin' Anni's Hootin' Anni's Hootin' Anni's!!


32 comments :

  1. I wonder why the City has decided now to build that cross. I hope you keep me posted on the progress of this project. And yes, I noticed you changed your profile picture as I saw that owl pop up on your comments across the blogosphere. I like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you read, I have so many questions about this new 'venture' of our city....main question is "why"? Glad you like my new profile image. lol

      Delete
  2. Love your owl Anni and I am curious about the cross also. Personally I would rather give all that money to people who are in need. Love your fairy. Ear Worm? Now that is a new one to me, the word. I have had a few songs repeated in my head over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, me too....there are so many other more important places to share the wealth than with a statue/sculpture. IMO

      Delete
    2. So agree yet again and yes the Today's Flowers is my meme, one I inherited from Luiz a few years ago. I would absolutely love it if you shared some of your flowers there and thanks for mentioning it :) Happy weekend to you my friend.

      Delete
    3. Will hopefully remember

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, coloring has been one of my favorite pastimes since childhood! Funny how it's become such a big thing around here lately, they even had a short clip on our evening news the other night. Seems we have adult coloring groups around town! Your owl is very delightful, I always like your artwork too, and your photos and your witty words! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know you enjoy your visits Karen!! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. The nookworm understands and even likes the earworm. The bookworm did as well and the hookworm is thinking about joining in. OWL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. speak on my friend. love your new header. your coloring is awesome, like you are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhhh, you're the sweetest!!!

      Delete
  6. I love your new pic -- and it does fit you well, my Wise Blogging Friend!!! Don't get me started on the "cross" thing!! You said it perfectly!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cross idea just makes me shudder. I like the idea, but the setting and behind the reason I fear, is just all kinds of wrong.

      Delete
  7. And I thought that only in SA did they have questionable and costly projects instead of the money going to the needy. Love your fairy and the foxgloves. I also noticed your great new profile picture. Have a wonderful weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't put my mind at ease on this new cross and the cost when so many other more worthy places could use the funds! Thanks Jo, for the compliment.

      Delete
  8. It seems to me that a million dollars could be spent more wisely but then what do I know.
    Love your coloring page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...not the part of 'what YOU know'...but the whole cross concept.

      Delete
  9. i just bought a coloring book and I'm lovin it so far. I like your owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia...
      Aren't those books fun.

      Delete
  10. i would spend the million dollars on a nature preserve.
    I haven't tried the coloring books yet. I could never stay within the lines when I was a child and I doubt if I could now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.........a nature preserve would be IDEAL!!!

      Delete
  11. Ear worm rattled some cages. My parents used Ohrwurm on us kids when we were nagging *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nagging? You? No way? We pals just don't do that.

      Delete
  12. Annie, Nice to visit your blog again - it has been a while. Love your coloring book page. You always post something interesting and informative -thanks. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you visit with me again Mickie!!! Thanks for complimenting me.

      Delete
  13. It's enjoyable to visit your blog. I also love adult coloring books. Your blog is always great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I agree - many questions, especially about the motive. I love your owl and enjoyed reading about earworms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the motive behind this all continues to be nagging me.

      Delete
  15. If in my country....definitely it will be banned. Even a church hanging a cross outside the church building, some "clever" people made noise already. Let along building a big cross.

    Yes i don't understand why the need to out do others. Faith is in the heart..it's not as if the bigger the cross then more religious ones is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....in the heart. You got that right!!!

      Delete

.