Free House!

Imagine....
Someone tells you that this mansion from the early 1900s could be yours! FREE!!! --



Yes, you read correctly...free. Last week, after touring the 'new found' park in Refugio, Texas, upon our exiting on a different back street to the interstate, Bud and I spotted this house and thought "someone moved this from a plantation?". Well, I took the photo with my cellphone and then did some research online after returning home. I found this info:

There is a bit of historical value to this home. The Shelton House
    This two-story Victorian mansion at 809 S. Alamo, was originally built by Ben Shelton who first started a business at Blanconia in Bee County. A little more than two years later he moved his stock of goods with 18 wagons to Refugio, and there set up as a general merchandiser in May, 1907. He owned two business buildings, farm lands, along with oil and gas interests. In 1907, Shelton built a "little bungalow" that was located to the north of the current Shelton house. In 1927 the bungalow was moved to the present location and additions were started including a second story. Shelton was a self made man, having attended a private college in Portland, Texas and later graduating from Alamo City Commercial College. He began work as a clerk for only $15 per month.

Come to find out, a couple from Corpus Christi got the deed. Again, FREE and clear. All they needed to do was pay to have the house moved from the previous, Alamo Street location to the present day locale in Refugio. It is reported that the house mover's charge was an estimated $170,000.00. They are now residing in the home while the couple are renovating it.

I could do that!!! I need to play the lottery more often!! My odds of winning wouldn't change tho. Bummer.  On 2nd thought, they can have it....I can only imagine and estimate the cost of the initial moving of the house expense, then the renovation?----close to a total sum of 1/2 million dollars?!!!

Refugio, Texas Parade of Historical Homes and Newspaper article of the moving

33 comments :

  1. Very interesting! It isn't what I would call a "bungalow" either! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, me either....but, y'know what they say about everything being bigger in Texas. lol

      Delete
  2. Free isn't quite free, is it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, so often what is touted as free turns out to be quite expensive in the long run.

    It is an interesting history though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way too long costly when totals are tallied

      Delete
  4. Free isn't always. With many things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad the house is saved and being renovated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to visit and do a walk thru when it's all renovated.

      Delete
  6. it is beautiful and will be even more beautiful. i would love to restore an old home , or rather pay someone to do it, but alas. i have no money.... we have several historic homes here that have been given away to save them. two of them were moved by barge down the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to witness that...I probably would have taken my nylon chair and sit to watch it all!!

      Delete
  7. That's a grand old home,but too much for me.I love looking at the large homes,but prefer to live in smaller spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the large spacious homes!!

      Delete
  8. I think it is wonderful that someone can come up with the means to move and restore this old gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I can only think of the structural damage done in the move and the cost of renovating.

      Delete
  9. That's a pretty hefty chunk of change. I'm calculating how many years I would have to work to earn $170,000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....I wouldn't live long enough to pay the FIRST mortgage off, not to mention the home improvement loans.

      Delete
  10. Well, not exactly "free" - but sure big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you got that right, on both aspects.

      Delete
  11. That is quite a house. I cannot even imagine getting it moved. What a job! And then you have the reno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, years and years of work.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful house and interesting story. However I have never wanted to live in a large house like that. My three bedroom, two bath, large living room with high ceiling fits me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to have a four bedroom house...or five. LOL A couple of extra rooms where I'd be able to have all my collections on display. But then, I rethink my wishes 'cause of the dusting involved. lol

      Delete
  13. I find this so fascinating! I would love to tour it when they are done! It's going to be a pretty expensive free house though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. expensive 'free' house indeed.

      Delete
  14. Nothing is ever really free is it? That's going to be a big job but I would love to see when they're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, now this will be something to see to the finish! They are rather lucky and I wish them all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And then just think what they are probably spending to renovate it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a fine looking house but I sure wouldn't want it!! I love exploring and walking around old houses but give me a nice, well insulated, modern house with nice plumbing and electricity anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There was a time in my younger years when I would have jumped at an offer like this. But, no longer.
    Age changes a lot of things including people.

    ReplyDelete

.