my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Rockport-Fulton Texas

Monday, Bud and I drove to Rockport and Fulton Texas area for some birding. We first went to Goose Island State Park to see the reported Whooping Cranes [as seen from last year's linked posting] that are once again arriving for their winter home. We found four cranes along with a few Sandhill Cranes in an open field across from the inlet at Capano Bay. I took several photos, but the distance, even with my zoom lens was not good for any clear photos, so once I got home those were deleted from my SD card. We'll go back sometime again for another photo try. Perhaps after a nice rainstorm...that way the cranes will be farther out in the field, closer to the road. To the back of us, this is what we see:




After waiting in hopes of the Whooping Cranes to saunter out away from the reed pond, with no luck, we drove through the park's entrance and walked a short distance, then left, as we wanted to find one other bird sanctuary that has only been opened to the public for just over a year ago....called Linda S. Castro Sanctuary. The sanctuary is a small 4 acre property that has a large pond where a couple of uncommon ducks [in our area of Texas anyway] have been reported. The Ringed Neck Duck and the Wood Duck. After finally finding the off the road and unmarked entrance, we parked, walked the path and watched the pond for the two species.


Right away we spied several Ring Necked Ducks, both male and female!!! Along with coots, redheads, mottled, and teals. But the elusive wood ducks were not to be seen. While Bud stayed on the park bench perusing with his binoculars the pond for the wood ducks, I took off again on the pathway and walked the oak motte [dense growth of oak trees] in hopes of finding some 'land birds'....which I found and photographed two. The Eastern Phoebe [far right] and the Ruby Crowned Kinglet!



Tho a very small area, it was busy with duck activity the short time we visited. It is so well hidden and new that it was a wonderful, quiet time to just sit and watch...all the time in hopes of spotting the other duck. I was hoping to see a male wood duck!! Before we left, we climbed back out of the woods to the visitor platform and took a few more minutes searching. Way off in the distance, on the far side of the pond, behind some thick bushes, through my binoculars, I spotted an unusual, crested, duck. Tho it was is heavy shade, I was sure it was the wood duck. Some other avid birders in my area told me there were SIX spotted on the pond here. I took my camera, and snapped three photos...then, moved over to the far end of the platform and raised my camera to get a few more photos...but, by the time I got in position and aimed...the duck was gone from sight!! When I got home and checked my camera card, it was indeed a wood duck!! The photos were not clear for two reasons, I didn't have my camera's tripod and too much movement, AND it was in heavy shadows from the bush. But I can still tell the species. We will return...SOON!




All in all, even tho the lighting and distance of the Whooping Cranes was NOT desirable, and the wood duck was too far a distance from me for good photos, it was a good day. I got to mark off two NEW species of ducks. The Ring Necked Ducks photos turned out really good, and I will post those photos sometime soon at I'd Rather B Birdin'...my bird photo blog.


28 comments :

  1. Shooo, you do live in the most beautiful of spots. And with so many flighted creatures too, any day is a good day *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waking up....that makes it a super day. Thanks Ms. V....you're always good to me with your uplifting comments.

      Delete
  2. It's been a couple of years since we did any birding at Rockport. Have to get back there! Glad you had a good birding day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence. Yes, Bud and I rarely go toward Rockport for birding and there is so much there ... need to go back real soon.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip of the belt you use, Anni. And I will hop over to your birding blog to see your new pictures. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome D J....I really like it...and if you do any kind of aerobics this stays put for the most part if adjusted correctly. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. You do know how wonderful the area you live in is, don't you! So nice to see all of your pictures and trips around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy my day trip posts Ms. G.

      Delete
  5. We share the admiration of the Whooping Crane and the Wood Duck ... both favorites of mine as well. We have to go to Wisconsin to see the Whooping Crane and the ones we see are a different group ... a man made group if you will. Your Whooping Cranes belong to the only natural group of Whooping Cranes and I did have the opportunity to see some of them when I went to Kearney, Nebraska for the Sandhill Migration. The Whoopers were almost extinct, but seem to be making a comeback or at least maintaining their numbers in the wild. As for the Wood Ducks, I am fortunate to have them on my lake and often at my feeders in the summer. I have actually grown to love the female as she is just cute ... they often have their offspring in our channels and we see them swimming around in their little orderly line. Great post, Annie ... hope you get a closer look at these birds soon. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stranger...it's so good to see you had stopped by for a visit. How lucky to have wood ducks on your own lake and at your feeders. Yes, I agree....the female [of a LOT of birds] are just as 'pretty' as the male or maybe even more so with some!!! I would love to see the ducklings on the channel.

      Delete
  6. Some really beautiful photos!! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thank you kindly Cathy!!! Hope your day is so very special and a happy one.

      Delete
  7. Anni, so many places, so many birds in Texas! Have a really special Thanksgiving Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda...hope your day is a special one too.

      Delete
  8. bob saved a ring neck snake out of our pool if that counts.. love that little yellow bird, so pretty... i don't think i have seen a whooping crane, if i did i did not know what it was... it had to be a fun trip even if the light and the birds did not fully cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for Bob!!! I would've had Bud slice the snake!!! I hate snakes.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your sightings, Anni, and good luck with those whooping crane shots in the future!

    P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful captures of a beautiful place -- as always, Anni!! And thank you as always for sharing the beauty with us!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia...Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Enjoy that newborn....Solli.

      Delete
  11. What a pretty spot. Hopefully you can get closer shots on the next visit of the wood duck
    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping they'll stick around 'til December so we can return. Thanks Ann, and happy Thanksgiving to you too.

      Delete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving Anni, Butch, Winnie and Tahoe
    As per usual your photos are amazing. The water shots had me expecting to feel the water on my face.
    "looking @ neighbors vacation photos" should have been my 'brother in law's vacation photos'...but he reads the blog so I took created liberties. Years ago he came over with photos from a 3 week vacation'. It took us hours to see them all and hear his commentary. He is a professor I think he thought he was teaching a class. LOL
    Hugs Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great outing. My brother is visiting us here in Oklahoma and we had to book it from visiting my wife's family in western Oklahoma because of 100% chance of ice tomorrow morning. I think he wished he had stayed in Corpus Christi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to be sure. I do not like driving on ice!! Treacherous.

      By the way, it's a balmy 80 degrees here....cloudy/overcast, but kinda nice.

      Delete
  14. such a lovely area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you thought so Denise.

      Delete

.