my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Foggy Sky, State Park, and a bit of JAZZ!

This weekend is the Corpus Christi 55th annual Jazz Festival; Bud and I will be attending if weather cooperates, tho, we've been there rain or shine in the years past. It's always a fun-filled event, with this year to celebrate 55 years in Corpus,....fifty five jazz bands will be performing with live celebration of America's music!! There is food, drinks, and vendors, along with the bands. Big crowds are always expected in the area, parking spots are hard to find....etc. etc. etc. But worth getting there to enjoy the music and New Orleans style ambiance as you sit under the tented stages, or walk around to shop for trinkets or unique clothing. Beer Gardens, grilled greasy food is also on the venue, if you dare to partake!! The shows run late into the night and reopen the next morning. For three days.


This past week Bud and I drove to Harlingen, Texas and headed toward a small city west of there via the interstate to stop at a Texas State Park in search of a rare bird that has been reported in the ponds on the park's property. Altho, we failed to spot the bird, for the most part [explained more in depth in a bit] we enjoyed our walk around the many waterways and viewing other wildlife. It was a quiet morning when we arrived. The visitor center was closed being that it was a Monday, but that's okay. It saved me money I'm sure since I'm positive I would have found a book or a pair of earrings with birds to purchase. There is a huge, vast amount of small ponds intermingling with heavy wooded areas. All reachable with paths and boardwalks. The entire chain of pedestrian trails are surrounded with reed filled ponds, beautiful oak trees, manicured lawn areas with picnic tables, gazebos/observation areas, and a more arid landscaping of chaparral areas dotted here and there. The kiskadee birds were giving a chorus of their one of a kind song...."KISS ka eeee". Altho we didn't see the Jacana bird [pronounced shuh CAN ah] from Old Mexico, we were kept busy finding ducks with the likes of black bellied [photo below] and mottled, alligators, kiskadees, flycatchers, jays, woodpeckers...and a new photographed bird also [vermilion flycatcher which I'll share at a later time on my bird photo blog], the nasty explosion of gnats in our face whenever we stopped to take photos or look through our binoculars kept us quite mobile and made our 'trip' shorter than expected. That's alright, we know where to find it again another time. The park is called Estero Llano [pronounced es TARE oh LAWN oh ---which, to me the double "L" should be pronounced like a "Y" in the truest form of the Spanish Language....when in Texas??!! - just like the city Amarillo which means yellow in Spanish and pronounced correctly it's AM a ree oh. In Texas it's pronounced Ama RIL lo - or the monument just outside Houston...San Jacinto.  In Texas,  Texans pronounce it San sjhuh SIN toe...when in the true Spanish language it should be San ha SEEN toe.  There are so many towns, historical areas that are mispronounced here, it boggles my mind.] The park's name translates loosely to Esturary of the Plains. It is located on the outskirts of a little town called Weslaco, Texas [a suburb, kinda, of Harlingen]....real close to one of many International Bridges on the border of Old Mexico and the Rio Grande.


On the prior weekend to our day long trip to Estero Llano, I walked my 10,000 steps around Port Aransas birding areas on Mustang Island. At the beginning of the morning hours, the island was drenched in heavy fog!! It made for some pretty, but a bit eerie, photos. We stopped at three different areas. By the time we made it to our last trail along the channel-pasture-salt flats, the fog was lifting and the heat was on!! But, I thought I'd share the foggy morning here, now. First photo is of the white picket fence at the entrance to Paradise Pond:


Thru the misty air above Paradise Pond, this Great Blue Heron was spotted...and it was joined with a 2nd one as they both flew off to the west:



In the remaining photos, these are of one area at Port A's Leonabelle Turnbull's Wildlife Sanctuary. A Foggy Breakdown. Some photos are taken from the boardwalk [more ground level] while others are taken off the two story, elevated, watchtower. The 4th photo [if enlarged] you can see a small white object in the tall reed grass -left center- that is a egret, which I zoomed in on with photo #5. A bunch of cormorants thru the fog and looking toward the gulf which you can't see this particular day, a couple of other birders are seen in the foreground on the boardwalk...



Once the fog lifted, I walked my remaining steps along the salt flats of Charlie's Pasture. There, I sighted in on stilts, various sandpipers, and ones I always look for in this area and found on that day...horned larks. Those photos I'll share on my bird blog soon.


P.S. I was chosen a winner!! I received this email from an author I had recently posted about. I had signed up for an autographed book give-away, The Ripper's Wife, and my name was chosen:
Brandy Purdy .email taken off for privacy purposes.
To :email taken off for privacy purposes:
Today at 12:53 AM
Hello Anni, Congratulations! You are the winner. I hope you will enjoy the book. Please send me your full mailing address and I will get your book right out. P.S. I took a look at your blog and I love your witches.
Best Wishes,
Brandy Emily Purdy

53 comments :

  1. Congrats on your win and I love those fog images. They add so much atmosphere to the shots. The park is marvelous.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mersad. BTW...happy birthday Beni.

      Delete
  2. GREAT photo of the picket fence in fog, Anni! And I can see the evidence of how much you enjoy Halloween!! :) Congrats on winning the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....yep, you guessed correctly, Halloween....a favorite time of year for decorating!!!

      Delete
  3. congrats on winning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another interesting post and what a beautiful spot to visit. So different from our dry bushlands. I love the fog shots, especially the heron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along the coast here, it can be a bit tropical. AND HUMID. I'm so ready for winter. lol Thanks Liz

      Delete
  5. Wow, very cool win! Your blog header photo is really lovely, and she's quite a pretty witch too. The misty shots are always a favorite of mine, there's just something magical about them. How fun you got to travel and capture some great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks Karen. And I too love fog!!!!!

      Delete
  6. You had quite the outing. One tell to somebody who has been in south Texas for any length of time is how they pronounce Refugio. Where the g goes and the second r shows up, I'll never figure out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....the first time I had heard Refugio pronounced I had to do a double take. Weird, no? Yes!!!

      Delete
  7. Ooooooh don't you just love winning something you really wanted...like when I won your beautiful hand crocheted Christmas scarf. I love the photos in and about the post.
    I had to cackle at your cat stories...there is a conspiracy for sure. WE have had 2 cats both have had snow white tummies...as I tell folks if you don't like cat hair don't sit down.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right. Funny thing, when we wear dark clothes, Winston wants to cuddle...White clothes, it's Tahoe's turn!!! Yep.

      Delete
  8. Hello Anni, congrats on your win. I love the foggy scenes and the whistling ducks. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they were actually quite vocal that day, the whistling ducks. Most times they're quite silent. Thanks Eileen

      Delete
  9. i like the fence in the fog, but i adore that whistler line-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I knew you'd enjoy the whistlers.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your win. I love all the foggy pictures; we had fog yesterday morning and I love the way it softens everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Texas will never disappoint you with beautiful and interesting sights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your header Anni! Also the foggy shots are awesome...spooky, too! It's to hit 97 today, I am so tired of waiting on cooler weather!! Please send a cold front this way...ha ha! No hurricanes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know these temps can't last much longer....can they? I'll soak up ANY cooler air. But by the time it gets your way it may be just a tad warmer.

      Delete
  13. Oh, congratulations, Anni, well deserved it is indeed!! Your foggy shots are awesome and perfect for the Halloween and Fall season!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foggy October Morn.....indeed a bit 'weenish!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Sorry...can't help myself....for Jennifer Jilks it was joyful!!! Glad you enjoyed it Jennifer.

      Delete
  15. More great stuff here Anni, The fog adds a touch of mystery to your fence. Loved those birds in the fog shots. Congrats on winning that book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so good that you can get around and do all the things of interest to yourselves and see and experience so much. I really like your fog shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we don't like traveling long trips, but day trips are okay.
      Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  17. The misty/foggy photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fog can be tricky tho through the lens. Thanks Ruth

      Delete
  18. congrats on your win. I like the fog pictures. We've had several foggy mornings here lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann. Wish we had more foggy days...I love it.

      Delete
  19. Theyour foggy p jazz fest sounds like so much fun. Hope the weather cooperates!
    I love your foggy photos.
    Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice job on the foggy photos! Not easy to do anything with fog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope it is a good read Anni. Fog gives the shots atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the foggy days. Thanks Margaret.

      Delete
  22. Hello Annie,:) Many congratulation on winning the book. The Jazz Festival seems like it's a lot of fun, Hubby and I were in New Orleans in 1966 and we enjoyed the atmosphere very much. Love your misty shots and views of the park..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Oh you probably wouldn't recognize New Orleans now then. But still, the FQ and 'famous' streets haven't changed, the city has grown!!!!

      Delete
  23. Love the ones of the herons. I've never tried taking photos in foggy weather - your pictures make me want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fog gives off a whole 'nother world in photos. Hope you try it sometime Ruth.

      Delete
  24. Yes congrats on your win! How exciting! I love those foggy photos. We are not yet into the time of year when fog is likely for us, although it's getting closer. There was mist in the backyard this morning !

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday once again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like the fog but not to drive in. Another thing we Texans (not me) drive fast with no lights in fog. Congrats on the win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula....yes, especially when it seems to be thicker than usual...scary.

      Delete
  26. Even fog can't stop someone with a 'shutter' bug--- Ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love those foggy shots - we don't get many mornings (or days for that matter) like that here.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

.