“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






There is Something I Wanna Say...

What follows is entirely MY OPINION!!!


Benjamin Franklin was quoted in saying: "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see."   Hootin' Anni has been quoted many times with these words:  "History is only ONE man's opinion." Which brings me to a recent comment about Lewis Carroll being a pedophile. Now, I can't say that this is true....OR false. There was perhaps a photo of a nude girl...sister of Mr. Carroll's love interest found in his possession. Was it really his? Was it planted there by someone else? Long ago artists painted and sculpted naked men and women and children, and in some countries there are children and adults unclothed and it's considered normal. I don't know where the statement came from other than perhaps a Lewis Carroll biography, or a documentary seen on television. A couple of my favorite classical authors, Poe and Twain, are said to be odd and mistreated women in that order. Recently William Shakespeare has been questioned by scholars as perhaps a fraud and not penning all the works credited to him...I say, who cares?  Hamlet, Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet - Poe's NEVERMORE, Twain's Huckleberry Finn, yes, and even Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland...they're beautiful works of art and should be appreciated!!!  All I can say is, nothing has been proven...it's all heresy, and I wonder just why people today judge those who cannot defend themselves since now they're long gone; dead for decades.  I would not want people like this as a peer to sit at my trial and judge me from what the media shows, where the juror would have me guilty by heresy, before anything is proven.  Yes, I realize that they may have been just what their branding is...but, as authors, they were geniuses, and I'm going to enjoy their work as entertainment!! Even those reported today...M. Jackson, B. Cosby, etc. etc. I don't have to like them one way or another of what is reported about them...but I can enjoy their craft. Media hype can carry a big stick!! The same commentor once wrote that the History Channel's special mini-series, Texas Rising, should be watched with an open mind----tho, so very inaccurate according to written records. I took her words to heart, and enjoyed the rest of the program series.  The other blogger opened MY mind...but seems that HER mind is closed when it comes to Lewis Carroll-she said "I try to steer clear of his work since he's a pedophile"...good grief.  The point I'm making is:  judging the work itself; either with their songs, their acting talents, their graceful hand in writing, painting, sculpting. Their work alone puts their mark in the world [or field] of talent one way or another...not their person.



Which brings me to the most recent book I just finished. Again, I read for the entertainment of it all.   And again I say novels are my favorite type,  history books are more fiction than we all realize 'cause the 'facts' are based on one man's opinion.  Most often history books and text books are about one subject...and you can pick up TWO books on the very same subject and get two different scenarios of ONE instant in history...for example witnesses at the Boston Tea Party in the 1770s...one reporter standing at the pier witnesses HIS point of view, and by the time he gets to the printing press, facts may have been changed to sell the newspaper.  Or one history book is translated from one language to English and it's misconstrued to be 'more readable' yet the meaning has been changed entirely...that, to me is not fact, it's fiction!!

So, now on with the book: Alice written by Christina Henry. Tho bizarre and a hefty work with blood, rape, murder, dark and sinister ... a story of a Magician, Alice of Alice in Wonderland. At the end it all wraps up. The book was quite good actually. At first I thought...."This is about Alice? The Rabbit, the Cheshire Cat, the Caterpillar, Dor?" Indeed it was...with a twist. Throughout, the imagination runs rampant; a wild ride back into the classic tale. Tho, the novel is twisted, it is filled with mystery and madness! I liked it.

B. Franklin image source from wikipedia

42 comments :

  1. I agree 100 percent with every word you said about history. and even what we see today. one mans opinon... go to CNN, ABC, CBS and all the others and everybody has their OWN opinion. i have all my life lived by believe nothing I hear or read and only half of what i see.... when my hubby and I witness the same thing, when we tell it we have both seen it differently... even on a TV show we see it a different way. great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made a good observation....two people, watching the very same program....different points of view and thoughts. Good one. And true.

      Delete
  2. I never heard that about Lewis Carroll. It makes no sense to go digging around and thinking you can prove something from so long ago. I'm reading a good book now, but it doesn't have any of the things in Alice. I like my books without bloody scenes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh blood and guts don't bother me, if it's fiction. lol

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you that a LOT of history is fiction. History is often written by the winners much differently from how it's written by the losers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head with this comment!!!

      Delete
  4. An I I truly admire your reading list! I need to branch out a bit. Learn so much when I visit you.
    We had a hot senior weekend. AC went kaput Friday spent the weekend w/o AC! Thank goodness for fans and storm windows w screens...but still way too hot inside last night was the worst but today is a new day and a cool night is in our future
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, having no A/C this time of year is all kinds o' wrong!!! Hope it's repaired now!

      Delete
  5. I believe very little that I haven't seen with my own eyes. You are absolutely right about judging the work itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann. Yes, you're wise...believe little if you haven't seen it with your own eyes.

      Delete
  6. Anni as evident by the first word I typed...I am on my iPad too hot upstairs at the desk top...iPad print is small or heat fried my brain
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no worries!! I got the gist.

      Delete
  7. I think a lot of the accusations made of famous artists posthumously is just plain jealousy. "Researchers" who can't create works of the types the people they dig up dirt on so they seek to find their fame by shaming the creators of works they can only read or view. I agree that we should judge the work itself and perhaps judge more harshly the ones who are wasting their time and ours looking for "scandal."

    But look at our society today. So many of our entertainment choices are remakes or sequels to someone else's original works. There's reality TV so no one has to come up with story ideas and we're more entertained by gossip than creativity. New historical "facts" are the same. People seem more interested in finding an easy way to make themselves look better than anyone else past or present than giving credit where it is rightfully due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your 'take' on today's society. Some just don't want to think for themselves it seems.

      It's nice to see you back blogging once again. Been a while!!

      Delete
  8. Anni, thanks for your very honest opinion and your stand against all those who dig up stuff about those who can't defend themselves. We are all imperfect, that's for sure, and none of us wants folks digging into our dark closets to find dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....only humans we are. Imperfect in most ways...trying to do our best.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, I do enjoy mystery and madness too! Sounds interesting. I completely agree with your opening opinion. I also dislike that kind of information long after the person is gone. But most of all people's private life is their's not ours to chew into pieces! It's their art, words or whatever greatness they have put together to share with the world that matters, and nothing at all can remove that greatness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....nothing SHOULD remove the greatness. You're right on.

      Delete
  10. I do indeed agree with you and the others.!! And I, too, love mysteries and admire the authors! Their private lives are none of my business! Great post as always, Anni! Hope you have a wonderful new week!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the way to choose your lifestyle is yours and yours alone. But, sadly, so many are willing to condemn.

      Delete
  11. There are lots of varied opinions on Lewis Carrol. I'd recommend The Mystery of Lewis Carroll written by Jenny Woolf to anyone interested to learn more about him as person. She does not consider him a pedophile but she explains a lot of the facts that have made some jump to that interpretation. As you also suggest in your post, one really has to interpret some things (and people) in the context of their own time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much...I will look into this suggestion. Very helpful. And yes, the certain era has a lot to do with what society 'thought' back then.

      Delete
  12. I think the old children's game "Telephone" (or some such name, depending on where you are from) clearly shows us how telling a tale changes completely after the 5th or 6th telling. I agree with your post today!

    http://www.wikihow.com/Play-the-Telephone-Game

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so good at putting into words the things I have floating in my mind.
    Did you finish Pioneer Girl? I don't have the book yet but I shall. Louis Dean doesn't want to read it but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not yet...I'm slowly working on the book. It's a bit heavy so I tend to use it on the dining room table which most times is cluttered with stuff. lol

      Delete
  14. I hear you loud and clear and absolutely agree with your thinking. I'm so glad you can put it in such a way that understanding what you mean is very clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was a bit leery to even begin writing my thoughts....hoping not to offend anyone. But, blogging can do it sometimes, and I thought I'd take a chance. I'm glad there is so much positive confirmation on agreement tho.

      Delete
  15. I'm back because I wanted to tell you to be sure to check out my post tomorrow. I think you'll like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay...will be sure to follow up.

      Delete
  16. I totally agree with you! When these kind of things come out, I'm slow to even pay attention because I don't believe half of what I hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often pay too much attention and shake my head in disbelief.

      Delete
  17. I had never heard that about Lewis Carroll nor do I believe it. You are right people worked up over stuff and don't try and get other opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally feel too many people now-a-days pay too much heed to what the media has to offer and not think for themselves. Which is sad.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Good...glad to read this!!

      Delete
  19. awesome reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally agree with your first words.
    I can't stand people who judje other
    people from what they HEARD about
    them. I love to make my opinion myself,
    by getting to know people myself, talking
    to them, looking into their eyes.
    Only then I can TRY to judge them, but
    still all I know is what they let me know
    about them. For me it is really hard to
    judge people.

    Have a beautiful day Anni!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from media hype is all kinds of wrong. In fact, judging period is wrong...tho, I know I'm found guilty in so many aspects here also.

      Delete
  21. "Beautiful works of art should be appreciated" - Agree! We don't have to like these authors as authors don't need to like their readers. Why should we limit oursrlves from enjoyibg one's good work just because some people "name" them names without proving it with their own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Mari. You stated it perfectly.

      Delete

.