“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Expressions....

A little over a week ago,  back to the islands we go one morning. We ended up at the Port Aransas Jetty to see how many ships were out in the Gulf in line to come into the channel heading to the Port o' Call in Corpus Christi. The dense haze was out there, the heat was on; at 7 a.m. Several anglers were trying their luck...the one I photographed [father and son I presume] had just snagged a blue crab...no fish this time!! The Brown Pelicans were a bit inactive but for just a few. The air was still, the gentle breeze was a bit scorching. Living in the South, you learn to appreciate the terminology: the lazy hazy days of Summer!! It didn't seem to bother the dolphins...they continue to have fun in the cool channel water while guiding ships out to sea. And of course, with my camera I try to capture their play...




My favorite scene for the morning!!


In the downtown Marina area, I focused on the pelicans as the group on this day anxiously await the return of the shrimp boats. Tho many follow the boats out in the bay from the beginning to the end, the ones at the docks know and anticipate the scheduled return of the boats and become more aware, and the alert eyes captured here tells me the boats are heading back to the pier with a load of unwanted catch that will be thrown overboard as the shrimpers clean out their morning's haul, separating the fish from the shrimp...tossing the fish back in the water to be gobbled up by the pelicans [and the gulls]. And sure 'nough, seen at the pier opening, the boats chug their way slowly around the yachts, nearly coasting in to turn their craft, back up and begin their morning routine to hawk their live shrimp to the people lined up...taking home the live shrimp to put on the BBQ for their evening dinner:




49 comments :

  1. I'd love to be out there with the dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too...if I knew how to swim instead of sink.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic pelican portraits!
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni, awesome closeups of the Pelicans. They are always fun to watch. And the dolphins are always a favorite of mine. It is cool to see the dolphins playing in and out of the water. As a kid I remember loving the show Flipper. Great and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh....I'd forgotten about the program Flipper. Good family show. Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  4. your pictures are all great.As much fun as it would be to watch the pelicans I think I would enjoy seeing those dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always pleased when a ship goes through while we're there...guaranteed a dolphin show then.

      Delete
  5. What incredibly beautiful photos. Wonderful photos of the dolphins and the photos of the pelicans, well, I'm speechless. I want you to know I'll be humming "those lazy, hazy days of summer" all day, thank you very much! Have grand weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In tandem now...."Roll-l-l-l-l-l-l out-t-t-t-t-t those LAZY Hazy Days of Sum-m-m-m-m-er. lol

      Thanks Cathy.

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures of the dolphins
    and the pelicans :))

    Möwe (just rushing through ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wishing you a beautiful weekend Anni! :))

      Delete
    2. Thanks...glad you enjoyed the photos today.

      Delete
    3. ...and have a beautiful weekend yourself!!!

      Delete
  7. Love the dolphin shots Anni. They look to be enjoying their frolics amongst the boats. As for those pelicans, you just have to admire their patience and cleverness in waiting for a free meal to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. A free meal is to be had soon, let me tell you. :-)

      Delete
  8. Dolphins and Pelicans! What lovely photos! I grew up on Galveton Island and I remember when almost all the Pelicans were gone. It is so nice to see how their numbers have rebounded. It has been a bit cooler & a bit lower humidity here this week. Hints of autumn to come. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, it's a bit dark and overcast....thunder in the distance, but hot as fire!!! Maybe a storm is brewing.

      Delete
  9. Well, the shrimpers sure do make it easy for the pelicans and gulls to find lunch. :) How cool to see the dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every once in a while I need to go out and sit, hoping for a ship to go out...the dolphins at play is so fun to watch.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful uplifting post! I have loved pelicans ever since I saw that movie "Pelican Dreams" -- they are very special, but then again, so are those delightful dolphins! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How that last shot Anni is amazing and I loved seeing the Dolphins playing in the water. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your photos today,
    Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do LOVE your captures for the day, as always, Anni!! I agree with Margaret, its indeed wonderful to see the Dolphins playing in the water!! I hope you have a fun, beautiful weekend!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SOOO interesting! Love your treks and reports!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make me wish I live at the coast. Seems a fun place to retire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coast is something that pulled on me for decades. I wasn't born here, but got here as quickly as I could.

      Thanks Paula

      Delete
  16. Oh my, Anni. Your photos are always amazing. When I see a dolphin, by the time I click the photo, the dolphin is gone. Amazing photography here. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember Flipper when I was little, too. Dolphins always make me smile!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...they're so energetic and good for us humans as well.

      Delete
  18. adorable pelicans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all fantastic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. CLAPPING WILDLY AT THE DOLPHIN PHOTOS...WOW EXCELLENT SHOTS!!
    HUGS CECILIA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved all the photos and YOUR favorite was mine as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then.

      Delete
  22. Wonderful shots, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous shots! I love the close-ups of the pelican, and those playful dolphins! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

.