“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Randoms and Critters

Wednesday this week, I opened my blog to read comments left for me overnight, and I was humbled by the kindness of Mersad. He honored me with a mention of the "Top 10 Wildlife Blogs You Need to Follow" on his recent post. I must say I appreciated the gesture and felt proud that he took the time to give not only me the accolade, but nine others. All of which I follow and always enjoy their posts. I want to take this time to send along my thanks to you, Mersad. You made my day. Also, since the Turtle Release [my post he most enjoyed this week], each season is a big opportunity to witness a great thing in my area of the Gulf, I made a note of it on my sidebar. Again, thanks...along with my heart felt thanks for all the volunteers and experts that work year 'round for this to happen and allowing us 'common folk' to take part in it every year for several weeks during the summer months when the eggs/hatchlings become active enough to be released out to sea. Without them and their diligence and devotion of the survival of the endangered Kemp Ridley turtles, that particular post wouldn't exist.  If you'd care to see what other bloggers Mersad regarded for their frequent wildlife posts, click on the text link found under Mersad's photo graphic on my sidebar.


Speaking of wildlife, the internet news was inundated with a 'mystery' of nature. You see, there is an island off the Florida coast...more specifically Seahorse Key, Florida. One day, the island rookery was overpopulated with nests, birds, eggs and all kinds of wildlife!! The next day, everything was abandoned!! The truth, maybe, could be stranger than fiction!! What made all the birds leave? A premonition of some catastrophe that is looming in the future? Who knows? Read the article here.  With further reading, the commenting below, one mentioned fireworks, guns, noise....would that create an evacuation of wildlife?  I'm just as curious as a lot of scientists....will we ever find the reason?

One day this week, Bud and I hopped in the car in search of birds.  Mostly just to get out of the house.  I sometimes would rather tolerate a bit of summer extreme temperatures  [even tho it's too humid right now] and a mild, hot sea breeze  than to sit around in an air conditioned room all day.  I get bored.  Driving around, we ended up at the Botanical Gardens and walked the entire back property to the full [still from rains] Oso Creek.  Not too many birds, but we did get to see the 'pet' caged parrots and the iguanas on 'display' along with the plumeria gardens that are only planted in-ground during the summer and taken back indoors for wintering.....


One of three iguanas in the "Lizard House"


While walking the back property...yet, undeveloped except for pathways...you go through a wetlands area - over a long boardwalk with mesquite and mountain cherry trees with 'gator lake' on one side and the mudflats/wetlands on the other side. As I said, very few birds; some black necked stilts, a few cormorants, one lone tri-colored heron, a couple of caspian terns and male and female redheads [ducks]. Mockingbirds and sparrows were everywhere.


...after completing the trek to the creek, returning to the area that is landscaped where the orchid houses, parrot house, amphibian displays, koi pond, and rose pavilion are, we stayed on the pathway, and I took a few photos. This is what we saw:




66 comments :

  1. Really moved by your post. You deserve the recognition, I always love visiting your blog. Thank you!!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and again, I thank YOU. By the way, copied the mini-cheesecake recipe and will try it. Soon!!!

      Delete
  2. your blog brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as your visits here do the same for me Denise.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful wee wander, the goldfish pond reminded me of some good friends who kept trained goldfish - they would even jump through a hoop for their food!
    Congratulations on your blog's recognition, you certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slimy goldfish....jumping through a hoop for food....I'm seeing some steroids added to that fish food!!!

      Delete
  4. Hello Anni, I have read about the birds leaving the Seahorse Key, it is a mystery. Almost downright scary thinking about what made them leave. I love your cormorant shot, the flowers and pretty dragonflies. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS spooky to think about the bird/animal evacuation like........overnight!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad somebody is looking after them little turtles, they sure come into this world fighting and deserve all the help they can get.
    Happy Weekend Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend to you too Ms. V

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful compliment. I agree with Mersad, you do deserve the recognition :)
    The botanical gardens are beautiful. I would love to wander around there. Even though I'm not a huge fan lof lizards and iguanas I have to say that guy is fascinating. He looks a bit prehistoric to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it....the botanical gardens that is. And, it's been a continual upgrading and relandscaping lately, so...more to come each visit.

      Delete
  7. How great that your wildlife reporting is so well considered! I can tell from the short time I have read your blog that you are a real lover of nature and wildlife! Great to see what you have been up to this week in the wildlife world. Very strange about that island, I wonder if they will discover what happened. Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great - wildlife filled! - weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy...and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  8. Your blog deserves all the recognition it receives, Anni. You are one of a kind, and now I'll need to go over and check out the other nine. I wonder what the story is about that island. Kind of spooky, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks D J!!! Oh yes...the other nine are very deserved of the recognition indeed. I follow most of them already. It IS kinda spooky.

      Delete
  9. Your blog deserves recognition- you are one of my top five bird blogs that I have bookmarked. Congrats!
    That's intriguing about the island- I'm off to read more about it.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well deserved!!! I enjoy visiting!!! Have a grand weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the recognition, Anni....and that Iguana is very curious looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda?!!! This means maybe you once again have internet connection?

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the honor. You seem to spend a lot of time on your blog so we can enjoy it. I like the iguana picture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Paula, your kind words mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Anni and it was a well deserved award!! Not only are your photos gorgeous you give such informative commentary. Goodness what a big iguana!
    Happy weekend
    Hugs madi and cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much 'yaba yaba'?
      Thanks M&M

      Delete
  14. Such well deserved recognition, Anni!! Congratulations indeed!! Thank you for a beautiful start for my day -- every day!! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me happy with all your positive feedback Sylvia. Thanks.

      Delete
  15. Congrats to you for such recognition. It's a joy to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely excursion! I too often would rather be outside than cooped up inside. I don't know what it is, but it feels like the unbearable weather is hitting us much sooner than it used. I started coming to MS in the summers of 2001 & didn't find the weather (except for in New Orleans) too terrible until the last weeks of July. Now it's starting in June. I thought I was going to keel over when we were moving last month.

    Congratulations on your honor and thank you for joining us for Photo Friday this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....Yes I agree about the heat...but growing up in Colorado where snow can remain in the high country all year long...I think I can tolerate the heat instead of driving on icy roads 7-8 months out of the year. Thank YOU for allowing me to join in the fun.

      Delete
  17. It is wonderful that you are able to get around so well and your photography is a delight. Your interests are varied, and I really enjoy your posts as they are so detailed and interesting. You deserve all the honors and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos of the Botanical Gardens! I am so happy Mersad chose your blog as one of the wildlife blogs to follow! I haven't been by to see that post yet on his blog, and was so pleased to see your mention of it here. He's such a favorite of mine! This was a lovely Five on Friday, and a lovely post in general. The turtle hatching was also so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you so much Marie.

      Delete
  19. I read about that Florida island and the birds on a Florida Bird group I belong to on FB ... Very strange and frightening. Mersad made a great choice in naming you! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie...and yes, it's so strange.

      Delete
  20. Oh PS: forgot to say, I Didn't put my grebes on Rather B because I hope to get some better pics of them later. But I have woodpeckers to link up tomorrow. YAY me ... Glad to be getting back into my blog routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just visiting with you....you failed to mention it was a pileated woodpecker!!!!?!!! I want to see one of those badly. I'd give both my ovaries to get a chance to photograph them.

      Delete
  21. What an honour! Congratulations Anni! :))
    That's a very strange story about that island.
    Maybe there is a storm coming up or so.
    Animals know this very far ahead.

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that someday, they'll begin to re-inhabit the island. Thanks Tinna

      Delete
  22. You deserve those accolades! I always enjoy your beautiful photos, and today is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  23. in Malacca, Malaysia, a tourist attraction is a South American iquana.. I asked if I could hold it, and the man said yes. I can't remember if I had to pay for this privilege.

    How are you?

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son did the same in Old Mexico...we had to pay to allow him to hold the iguana and get his photo taken.

      I'm fine, thanks for asking Ann. How are you?

      Delete
  24. Hello Anni, stopping back to say thanks for linking up your post today! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Eileen for hosting.

      Delete
  25. beautiful blooms and lovely lizard, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Birds leaving is always a scary thought andwew must ask why adn take note. Love all the beautiful blooms adn that fantastic Lizaard. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...find out why then try and fix the situation.

      Delete
  27. Congrats.
    And I always love your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations, well deserved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Like your dragonflies. That iguana is being koi!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that...since I have a photo of Koi fish....your play on words...the iguana being coy...GOOD one.

      Delete
  30. Superb photos, Anni and Congrats!
    I love that birdbath.
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too....altho it doesn't show up very well, the two bird figurines atop the bath reflected in what little water there was.

      Delete
  31. As always some stunning photographs and well deserved accolades congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love all the flowers. The iguana is a handsome critter. Have a great day, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the beauty [handsomeness in this case] is in the eyes of the beholder. Thanks Gunilla

      Delete
  33. I need a place like that that is not an hour away! Love your photos...cormorants are so interesting to me. I suppose because we don't have them around here. At least haven't ever seen but a couple they were an hour away. Plus, think they were just passing through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like watching them 'play' in the water...they always look like they have so much fun, diving, resurfacing, and diving again.

      Delete

.