my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



The Week that Was...

The weekend has passed, and the past week was mundane. We stayed home quite a bit, which is unusual for us. BUT!! One thing for sure, while at home, I spied a spider sack clinging to one of the dining room curtains...what did that do to me? I relegated the help of Bud and we cleaned house thoroughly. It took us a couple of days...scrubbing venetian blinds even. It's no wonder...when you live in Texas, spiders and cockroaches are and can be trained house pets if you want 'em!! lol And yes, Bud made sure I took the easy, no strain tasks. Speaking or relegating jobs of work, we had the city come to our neighborhood after the real heavy, street flooding, storm from last week!! We had them come in with the big huge drain sucker trucks!! The crew cleaned out the three gutter drains and they trimmed the areas to nearly bare ground!! Then, the very next day we had another heavy storm...which a tornado touched ground about 12 miles from us...but our street didn't flood this time 'round.

Of course, during the week we did some walking

...along the Packery Channel jetty. Yes, new ponds and small lakes are around everywhere. Water on the highway's shoulders with warning signs propped up everywhere about flash flooding. Back in the dunes, where we walked that day, there are a few boulders [you don't see large boulders along this barrier much, just sand dunes and tropical ground cover]. The pool of standing water gave a nice reflection shot of the boulder which is usually just laying in the soft, dry, sand...



...our favorite birding area on the island was closed due to flooding! So, we tried another area. It was okay, but VERY quiet of much bird life activities. Of course the resident alligators were there. They were caught snoozing on the job! And just about a foot from the boardwalk, as you can see the hand railing in some of the photos [partly UNDER the boardwalk we need to walk on to get out to the pond!]. For all the people stopping to stand and watch them sleep, I, for one, wasn't all that comfortable being so close to them. I've heard them grunt from a distance, I've seen their jaws open and snap shut with a thunderous clap...I just felt more at ease taking a few photos and then, moving on...allowing the building crowd to be near 'em. I was in search of the Frigatebird that was reported seen here [I spotted one, finally, soaring high above].



...in the Oso Bay area, where we took our daily walk, we spied a few birds, hearing more than what we did see, a lone turtle, yet...the bike/hike trail was inundated with bunnies!! Everywhere!




...I also had intentions of finding some fencing for Good Fences [link below in this post] while out and about. My photo folder on the computer was lacking any fences. LOL I found a few photo ops here and there. Just a few. I will have to replenish the themed photos as I hope to get out more this week than last....if it stays dry enough and the flooding recedes. First tho, a few birds along the trail then an old rotted-out iron gate I spotted for Ms. T's Thursday blog hop---

Northern Cardinal, Female House Sparrow, 4 & 20 Blackbirds in a tree, Willet in Breeding Plumage


...and the rusted, in parts rotted-out, old, iron gate:


...Lastly, my sister and Bud both read the book "Killing Patton". And they both told me that the book was an excellent read. Well, General Patton is not a favorite subject of mine, so I won't even begin to read the same. Instead, by the same author who has had published books on Patton, and Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy, his newest book is Killing Jesus, a history. I bought it over the weekend and am going to begin reading it. I find the life of Jesus much more interesting than General Patton, I'll tell you that right now. lol
    From Amazon: details the events leading up to the murder of the most influential man in history: Jesus of Nazareth. Nearly two thousand years after this beloved and controversial young revolutionary was brutally killed by Roman soldiers, more than 2.2 billion human beings attempt to follow his teachings and believe he is God. Killing Jesus will take readers inside Jesus’s life, recounting the seismic political and historical events that made his death inevitable – and changed the world forever.

...this morning, the sky is mostly clear and the sun is shining. A promising good day.

58 comments :


  1. Hi Anni, I hope your neighborhood gets a break from the bad storms and floods. I love the reflection shot. I keep a good distance between me and a gator..I heard they can run faster than I can. The bunnies, turtle and birds are beautiful, I love all the wildlife. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the flooding problem was solved, but hope you get a break soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow on all that water around the big rocks, i have been watching the TX news and looks like most of the state is at flood stage. glad you are safe from water and tornado. i love your gator pics... i am betting those gators eat those bunnies and birds to that get to close. stay safe. yuck on cleaning the blinds. we need to do that, we only have 4 sets of mini blinds but just hate the job...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the bits of life and nature on your walks, even that old gate, probably has lots of stories if it could speak! About Patton. Ever since I discovered this little clip about General Patton it's easy to say he had a soft heart when it came to dogs. My mother taught us right, you can tell a lot about people by how they treat animals.
    "Patton was the ultimate alpha dog, with an unbridled—some say pathological—need to dominate. But he was putty in Willie’s paws. “Old Blood and Guts” had G.I. dog tags made for Willie and once hosted a birthday party for his “second in command.” He indulged his dog’s every whim until December of ’45, when Patton died from injuries sustained in a freak auto accident in Germany.
    The Army shipped Willie to the general’s widow and daughters in California. He suffered separation anxiety for some months before easing into retirement."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walks are so nice when you find so many interesting things along the way. I understand the rain and storms as l live in Fort Worth. It is not over as they are coming back this week until after the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wondrous variety on your post this morning, Anni. I'd keep my distance from that gator as well. I haven't read any of the "Killing" books yet, but I may start with the Jesus one. I think it is interesting to know the historical background surrounding the time of the crucifixion. We have a Sunday School teacher who is knowledgeable about the history, and adds some great facts.. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, your posts are always a great way to start my day!! Thanks for the info on the "killing" books!! I've been wanting to find a new author to read lately and this one sounds like just the one I'm looking for!! Hope you have a great new week!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like all the pictures, especially the Alligator eye. It rained all morning yesterday here. We're water logged.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible photos of the alligators, amazing to be able to take pictures so close to them. Glad you are safe from all the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some awesome shots of the alligators. I don't think I would be too comfortable being that close to them either. I would need something between them and me that would keep them from getting me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, really amazing wildlife shots. Love the rabbit shots. Have a great start into the new week.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too would steer clear of those huge alligators. Great pictures, though, especially the eye closeup. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard the reports of flooding and tornadoes in Texas and wondered about you!
    I would have stayed away from the alligators too. You did get some great pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the rabbits and birds. Not so much the crocs. They are totally pre-historic. You did well to snap and run, or they might have done some of their own snapping! So did the city charge for this service, or was it part of their emergency after care? Spiders HORRIFY me, I can only scream and run. Glad you did the cleaning, I know a couple people who were bit in their seep and it was a poisonous spider.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great series of close-ups Anni! Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you are safe ~ amazing photos of nature's critters ~ do hope you had a long lens to get the shots of the gator ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. the gators are amazing! i love your turtle portrait, though. :) good rust, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gosh you have been busy with your cleaning and getting out and about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd be a little nervous with them gators also. Great pics of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many wonderful shots of the critters!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing pictures. Enjoyed seeing them...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those alligators look a little too close for my liking. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderfull serie fotos alligators
    Greeting from Belgium in Mons

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations, nice blog Greeting from Belgium in Mons

    http://louisette.eklablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! All those gators! I guess the bunnies got flooded out of their burrows.I like the rusted out gate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMCritters you had a full week of seeing all kinds. The creepy crawlies love the dampness of your area and ours.

    Mom is very excited to tell you about a shore bird sighting she had while visiting my human sis and hubby.
    A first year White Ibis coming into White Plumage and a Snowy Egret. Mom didn't know the exact name of what she was seeing but knew it was special. She took some pics to show to our birding friends. We were told the Ibis was an excellent sitting. Wish we had, a zoom lens but we didn't.
    hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anni thank you for the info on I'd rather be birding blog hop. I will be joining it a 1 pm our time..I think you are 1 hour behind us.
    I have the post ready to auto post at 1 pm. We have some errands earlier Sat but I hope to link up to your post as close to 1 pm as possible.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Not sure I would enjoy walking in a area with alligators, but then I ride my quad in forests with bears and cougars. That keeps me on the lookout, especially when we stop or walk along a trail. The turtle reminds me of one I had as a kid for a pet. I think now you can't buy them. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the excellent read Anni. Sounds like you're having our weather - too much rain for May. Thankfully we don't have alligators in England although it would be rather good to see a few at a long distance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The alligator pics are fascinating and love the bright red cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wAs wondering if you were in any trouble with the weather. Hope it stays clear for a while. I'd rather go see an alligator outside than have have a cockroach in my house. Although I've experienced both.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love to read about what's going on in your world, but goodness, those alligator scare the beejeebies out of me!! You are one brave one to get close enough to get such great shots!! Okay, were you up in the trees taking those shots?? Just kidding! Oh my, Sweet rabbit photographs and love that gorgeous cardinal! Always enjoy my time here!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  33. You had a busy week, Annie! Tell Bud he can start on my house next. You and I can take a walk and snap some pics. I love the gator eye and the rusty rails.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh dear, the weather has been so difficult for different areas in the country..too much rain, not enough..too cold... too hot...I am glad you are doing well... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anni, Love all your pics ( I like the birds and bunnies much better than the alligators - but those were excellent shots too). Just want to keep my distance from the gators!!!!! Sounds like your life is still very busy. Glad you got some intensive house cleaning done--sometimes it takes a little push to get that put into motion. I always schedule a committee meeting at my house to get me going, and then wonder why in the world I did that when I am killing myself cleaning house !!! Have a good week. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. The cardinal is my favorite. It's the first bird my grandmother introduced me to when I was small and she would call to them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Superb nature photos, Anni.
    The close-up of the turtle is really remarkable.
    I didn't look at the alligators :)
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. So sorry to hear about the flooding. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh at all the rain you guys have been enduring! I'm glad the city did some clean up, but to have another storm right after must have been disheartening. Loved the bird shots and those alligators were amazing...I'm with you, though, I wouldn't want to get too close. I am inspired by your house cleaning...I need to do that so badly! There is SO much organizing I keep putting off. It just HAS to be done! Loved your bunnies. And that rock reflection shot was beautiful. Have an awesome rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hope you gat a break from all that rain. Well this post has everything. Wonderful birds great reflections and even fences.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cool photos of the alligators. The bunnies are so cute. I love the close up of the turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your old and rusting gate closeup image is my very favorite today.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I had to look up Frigatebird...amazing. Loved all your picks. I need to do some intensive housecleaning, too.

    What a lot of rain you have had...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very nice photos; I love those boulders' reflection in the water. So thankful the City cleared the storm drains just in time. I appreciate your visit and the cats thank you for admiring their photos! lol We have rabbits in the back yard and the cats are entertained from the safety of the window screen!

    Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am back...I didn't want to say this this morn...but when I looked up Frigatebird at AllaboutBirds and scrolled down and seen the female and the young, I thought: "That's the bird we saw in California" but I didn't want to say it till I sent the link to my daughter and she confirmed it. And I just got her email...and she agrees!

    I did not take my camera and I don't remember if she had hers. We were at the El Dorado East Regional Park...and I think we only seen it one time and we were there several times.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love your shots, even the rustic unwanted pipe has some significance. And those animals look like they are happy where they are!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wonderful close up of the turtle and the alligator eye. You are brave to walk so near them. Thank you for the book recommendation. Sounds like there are several titles my husband would enjoy. I will tell him. hmmm...the comment thingy says I'm anonymous. Georgette here.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I would have steered clear of the gator too. cool shots of him though and your birds are pretty.

    great rusty gate find.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Another really iteresting post. Love your rusty old gate - rust is so photogenic. Very brave getting so close to the alligators - no way I would walk that close to them We have very large crocs in the north of Oz and they are terrifying and very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Rain is okay but flooding not so much. I hope it doesn't rain to much more in your area.
    Still enjoyed all your photos. I'm with you, I don't think I'd get to much closer to those Gator's either. You got some great shots (Loved the "eye-ball" shot). The bunnies were so cute. Neat shot of the turtle too. Great rusty old gate and the close-up was wonderful. Glad you are getting out but not over doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  52. There is only one thing I don't like about alligators....they eat you. Other than that, they're OK ;)

    ReplyDelete
  53. I know you've had a lot of rain and some bad storms! Hope you have a nice weekend ahead. I always enjoy your photos! Alligators....we have them too. Hugs...not for the gators though! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Dear Ginny, I need to do a good spring cleaning too!!
    The walk sounds nice, though I would not want to be so close to the alligators either. Simply too close for comfort.
    The pictures you took are great though.
    I hope you are feeling good. My brother is slowly but surely coming along and getting a bit better each day.
    Have a beautiful weekend. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi dear Anni, running late as I usually do, but I always arrive ;) Hope you had a great week. I just enjoyed your post very much...Happy Weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Not such a mundane week, my dear - wonderful captures, although I'm with you on the alligators. A wide berth. We're flooded here too, just north of SA, and rain again today. Oh, well. Love that shot of the turtle! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I have run out of fences as well so haven't put a post up this week. I'll have to go looking.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

.