my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Weekend on the Shore...National Seashore Part II


Previously, PART I

 ~To continue with Padre Island National Seashore, a Federal National Park, I'll be sharing just what is found on the beach...besides sand that is. After hiking the nature trail and later stopping at the visitor's center, we headed to the end of the paved road that leads to the beach. Of course with the sand comes the well known poem, Footprints in the Sand. And I always think of that when I'm either beaning or shelling as I look ahead of me on the sand, searching for drift beans from Central America or Old Mexico or unbroken sea shells. Footprints in the sand...

Dog Footprints before the Surf Washes it back to Smooth Sand

...but, if you've ever traversed ANY beach that's open to the public, you know darned good and well, it's not always pristine beauty. There are traces everywhere of human habitation. Anything from washed up condoms to hypodermic needles. Not to mention garbage like banana skin, shoes, broken sunglasses, plastic bottles, rusted cans. You name it, I've seen it. I don't think it's all there from neglect and people who just don't care either. I do know garbage barges are sent out time after time to dump our refuse. Surely some of that is going to come back to the shore. I read that, in our oceans, there are an estimated 14 billion pounds of human debris dumped each year!!

Captain Smith from Titanic?
Styrofoam Netting Ball

But, once on the shore and the sound of the surf lulls you to a calmness not experienced anywhere else on earth, the nastiness is overlooked and forgotten for the moment as you look out to the horizon and watch the salty sea, sparkling and ever-churning... taking in the moment and enjoying the beauty, ignoring all what's underfoot and washing ashore. Just stop and look...

Shorebirds
Sparkling Surf
Perpetual Motion of Surf
Driftwood & Cormorants
Clam Shell
Breaking Wave
Gnarly Dude!!
Broken Sand Dollar
Sea Gull Feather
Barnacle Piece
Driftwood Among the Waves
Vehicle Barrier
Sandpiper

Next stop...the Visitor Center

40 comments :

  1. Hello Anni, I could use a visit to a warm beach right now.. It is super cold here.. I enjoyed your wonderful beach photos. I can almost feel the warm air.. Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was warm and comfortable that day...but today, it's a different story. Cold, rainy and gray!!

      Delete
  2. I love the photo of the dog footprint in the sand. Sometimes the simplest photos are the most beautiful. Have a great Monday, Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks!! Hope your Monday was a good day for YOU!!

      Delete
  3. I agree, there is nothing like walking a beach, despite all the stuff there. I used to love to drive from Victoria down to Corpus and then to North Padre Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you understand that there are TWO Padre Islands. So many think when I mention going there, they naturally assume it's SOUTH. It is still a pretty area.

      Delete
  4. The sea is calming just looking at your pictures, Anni. Thanks for the lovely tour of the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Linda, for taking a walk with me on the beach!!

      Delete
  5. I know EXACTLY what you mean! The changing colors of the ocean always intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's something that draws me in and helps me forget the hustle and bustle of life [yes, it is that way a lot even if retired!].

      Delete
  6. fortunately the good stuff outweighs the trash you find out there. There's nothing quite so peaceful as walking a beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly. A stress buster.

      Delete
  7. These pictures are just what I needed on this cold, snowy day. Love seeing that little Sandpiper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...stay warm in this storm!!

      Delete
  8. I do love Padre Island!!! Haven't been there in many, many years, but have great memories!! And I also love your captures as always. You do capture the the beauty and the fun!! Hope you have a great new week, Anni!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember...there are TWO padre islands...north and south. I'm glad you enjoyed the surf today Sylvia.

      Delete
  9. Such fun to see what you found on the beach,.. I laughed at the Gnarly dude!:=0 It's a pity some folk just don't care what they dump on the sand or sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I couldn't think up a thing for a caption, so Gnarly Dude it is. lol

      Delete
  10. That clam shell look perfect! Lovely photos, and I am so happy to see another blogger posting photos without snow!! I enjoy seeing the snow in pictures, but it's also nice to know I am not alone, living where there is nicer weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and if you're like me, you'd much prefer the WARM mild winters!!!

      Delete
  11. Love your found beach items! And that sparkling water, like it has stars in it! I love looking at this because we are in the midst of a big snowstorm now! How did you ever know the print is from a dog? Maybe it was something more mysterious! The clam shell is opened! And the barnacle is so pretty in pink. I would not know a barnacle from a sharmnacle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 'boy scout hubby' has taught me a lot of footprints in the snow/sand. This is indeed a dog print. Every once in awhile there are even DEER prints in the sand. Stay warm and dry, Ginny, during the storm.

      Delete
  12. Love the beach and the shells you found. It makes me sad thinking about how much rubbish is dumped into our oceans. I do not wish to see the them one day instead of bluish green water, coral reefs and colorful seaweed and pristine sand. I have seen how much more beautiful is the seabed more than the shore and I still hope they still exist for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....indeed. To continue having such a beautiful part of our world remain...I agree.

      Delete
  13. The sparkling waters are so beautiful! Excellent captures. :) I read that China is the biggest offender of dumping plastic into the ocean. The harm that it's doing to wildlife is terrible.

    I am only posting once a week now, so forgive me for not visiting as frequently as I once was. I do miss the daily interaction, but I am making memories for my family and friends which I feel is important at this time. Next week I will post some bird images for your meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail...I understand completely to post only once a week!! There IS a life outside of blogging. Enjoy it to the max!

      Delete
  14. Interesting find but isn't it sad people don't dispose properly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sad...but sometimes even the trash that is disposed of properly is dumped out of the receptacle by .......... BIRDS and coyotes.

      Delete
  15. The pictures of the breaking surf are spectacular. They are a treat for one who lives many miles away from any significant water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ruth...I am happy you enjoyed the beauty we have down here in the South.

      Delete
  16. A wonderful series of photos! These waves are so beautiful! Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mary...glad you enjoyed the wave action!

      Delete
  17. The few times I walk a long the shore line. I never yet found anything. It was always clean.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must live right!! To have a beach that isn't cluttered would be something I've never experienced.

      Delete
  18. I've heard a lot of great things about this island but I never got to see it. Your photos are such a great representation and are so diverse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...the real beauty if from the deck on the visitor's center. That is coming next on another post.

      Delete
  19. Oh, what a marvellous place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks you...it is very pretty!!!

      Delete
  20. So many beautiful treasures you have found Anni! I do hope you will share them with I Heart Macro this week too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Anni..Oh I loved my visit to the shore with the sea birds and sea shells. I know there is usually some junk left by man or washed up.. Sad but I would love to hear the ocean...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.