my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Weekend on the Shore...

Wild Sea Oats
It was a most perfect Saturday. Valentine's Day we decided to drive to Padre Island [NORTH Padre Island, not the 'toursit-trap' island near Brownsville, TX. [South] but the one about 30 miles from home. North Padre Island encases a Federal Park...Padre Island National Seashore, covering 130,434 acres (527.85 km2). After we stopped for the park entrance fee, we headed for the first hiking trail that takes us back into the grassy knolls...the dunes, instead of the seashore. The shore would come later in the day. The trail that meanders through the sandy grasslands is usually a good place for birds. The day was sunny, not too hot out in the open, and a refreshing, slight, sea breeze. Bud and I saw only one hawk, but it was at such a far distance even my hand held camera wouldn't have been able to pick up a decent photo. The wild sea oats, at times, played tricks...
I would see the seed jutting up several hundred feet from me on a far away dune off the trail, and the silhouette was shaped like a bird. Viewing through my binocular lenses, showed me differently!!  Sea Oats...again!!! Ha. Nature does play tricks on me. There, on the trail, tranquil as it was, the song of meadowlarks lulled us. So many meadowlarks. They are coming into their breeding colors also. Their yellows and contrasting black bibs were striking. I am saving these special bird photos for my birding blog to be posted at a later time. There were small water-table ponds from seepage dotted everywhere. For a short time, about midway through our hike, the redhead ducks flew over us in flocks by the hundreds!


After walking the entire trail and back to our vehicle, we hopped back in and drove to the end of the park roadway...if you don't have 4 wheel drive, I suggest you stop here. We did, tho, take our car onto the beach area after inspecting the sand condition. Sometimes the beach sand is so soft, driving without 4 wheel drive is sure to make your day a disaster...easily getting stuck and no way of getting out without someone with a winch or a tow truck. We parked and got out and walked some more along the shore, inspecting the shells and watching the people [tho not as much car/foot traffic as we expected for a weekend day]. The sea drew me in. I am always captivated with its beauty, color, surf, and sound!! Few birds scurried along the water's edge, feeding. Also, prints in the sand...






More to come...

22 comments :

  1. I especially like the bird crowd with the foggy background. That's a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a purrfect way to send a pretty Valentine's Day. Anni your pictures are just gorgeous. We celebrated our 45th anniversary yesterday!
    hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks M&M. Our 47th anniversary is this year.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni ... Perfect way to spend Valentine ... doing something you both LOVE. Beautiful pictures ... thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by Audrey.

      Delete
  4. I also love that pretty foggy background picture, with the two strategically placed people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a most perfect Valentine Couple.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful Valentine's Day to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was perfect. Sunny, weather, and my 1st love.

      Delete
  6. What an awesome way to celebrate! My very FAVORITE photo today is the one with the people walking on the beach. Just such a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...holding hands, loving the day of celebrating love!!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a perfect Valentine's Day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was at North Padre today. Great area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that it is. Pretty. Hope you enjoyed your time in our little area.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a nice day. I may have told you this before, my husband installed equipment at The National Seashore years ago. I think it was new and just opening up then, I never got to go but wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should plan a visit Paula.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a pretty ducky day. I like that picture of the beach with the couple walking hand in hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...apropos for Valentine's Day?

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great outing to me

    ReplyDelete

.