my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Gonna Spread My Wings 'n' Fly...

...way up high, in the sky!!


I'm sure a lot of you that visit here at Hootin' Anni's have visited Ms. T at The Run*Around*Ranch. Today, I would like to dedicate this post to her!! Each Wednesday, if you haven't already known, Ms. T shares her paddling of Whistlers; she titles her posts Whistler's On Wednesday. And she always shares the perfect personalities of these tree ducks!!! If ever a bird can be charming, these are the epitome of bird charm. They're pretty, comical at times, protective, colorful, quite docile, and nearly silent...unless you're lucky enough to hear them. They don't quack...they actually whistle. And it's a beautiful song.

Okay, so, over the weekend, during breaks from trimming the pyracantha [yes, again...it grows like a weed!!] and a couple of bougainvilleas, and the gardenia...I had my sketch pad out for idle times when Bud was loading the refuse for the city's collection day. Oh, and we also thought we hired someone to do a slab of sidewalk repair but he never showed up...Bud and I did some cement work too this past week. While breaking at times, I began to sketch a bird...yep, you guessed it...the BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK.

We don't have the privilege of having them as property residents but we do see them occasionally. Mostly, in town on the lake at the park or over on the islands, at Port Aransas.

I'll share my drawing and some of the photos taken from my camera---

Sketch Beginnings


Finished! Black Bellied Whistling Duck in Flight


...some photos of the Whistlers...






_*_*_*_*_*_


Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky

If now, I could grant my wish
I'd wish to have those wings
Those wings just like the birds
That fly up in the air

So high up in the air
With feathers bright and fair
No wealth nor power can make
My heart filled with such joy

Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky

Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
I'd fly
with those wings....



WINGS TO FLY
recorded by Susan Boyle

45 comments :

  1. The nice lady at Run Around Ranch gives us lots of entertainment and so do you Anni. Like your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I do love those Whistlers and your sketch, Anni!! You are a talented lady indeed!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! You are a true artist! You are talented! I cannot even draw a stick man. You could illustrate for a bird guide book. I have never seen these ducks and I love the picture of the one with his bill open. Maybe he is whistling! I like their pink bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit to being a little envious of both your and Theresa's photo captures of those funny and interesting whistlers. That is because I don't think I'll ever be able to see them first hand and would love to. Thank you both for sending me their pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni, the Whistling Ducks are my favorite. They are so darn cute! Great photos, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful birds! Your sketches always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's wonderful! i just knew it would be about whistlers. :) i've never drawn one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are a fantastic artist, and your Whistlers are just adorable, as always Whistlers are! Lucky you, to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great drawing, Anni! As always, I love your photos and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sketch is wonderful, and I LOVE Tex's Wednesday's whistlers. They always make me smile.

    Loved your shots of them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous sketch Anni!! Such cute colourful ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whistlers look to be such fun ducks. I wish they lived further north!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic sketches. What a talent you have there. Your pictures are always amazing too. No end to your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your sketch, and I see Ts ducks every Wednesday. They are colorful, and it's interesting how they are usually in a tight flock, lined up on a log or something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mrs T's Whistlers are getting quite famous aren't they Anni. Now your featuring here too and just like you I must admit I've become quite a fan of their personalities and quirkiness.

    And Susan Boyle! My you do have the best, best taste in singers Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those photos are great and your drawing is fabulous. I can't even sketch a simple cat skeleton :) You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice sketch! You are talented, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  18. your drawing is a mazing.. and i follow Ms T and you are right, those ducks can be clowns at times.. i love yours in flight...i had no idea you are and artist besides being a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So enjoyed this post!! you are very talented and the birds are just beautiful!! I actually felt warm as I visited your blog. It is still frigid here and I wish I had a pyracantha to trim! Wishing you well!!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have grown to love those whistling ducks because of TexWisGirl. And your drawing is simply wonderful. You are so talented!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post, photography and exquisite sketch!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. A gorgeous sketch! And your photos are wonderful! I really like those whistlers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Handsome ducks with those big white eye rings, and I like your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You and Theresa should have an art fest ... you are both talented artists and seem to enjoy the same kind of nature art. This is lovely Annie and the song lyrics are perfect. Now I have to add to my bucket list the opportunity to hear the Whistling ducks whistle ... I am sure it is amazing. Lucky you to have heard it ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful sketch! Teresa always shares the best photos of her birds!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love your sketch... and Whistlers on Wednesdays makes my Wednesdays brighter.
    You just made my Monday brighter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your sketch. I've never heard of this kind of duck. Makes me curious to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice! I've never been able to sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful shots and sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Anni!:) Nice shots of the Whistlers, and a generous post, with a lovely sketch of the Whistlers too. I don't know the song, sung by Susn Boyle but the lyrics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great shots of the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks. I wish we had them where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anni I have never heard of seen these ducks, but they are stunning as is your picture of them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is inspiring to read this post and see your art work and I love the Song lyrics and will have to look up that song. Hope to see more drawings of birds....you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is inspiring to read this post and see your art work and I love the Song lyrics and will have to look up that song. Hope to see more drawings of birds....you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your sketch, Anni! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anni what gorgeous photos and sketches....no outside wandering here.
    It started snowing at 6:30 am...they said a dusting...it has been steadily dusting since then probably about 2.5" and cold too
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love these duck and lovely one to use as subject for painting.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderful shots and artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful artwork, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm enamored of Whistlers since meeting them on Theresa's blog. Your drawing is wonderful! I can't even imagine all the things you already have growing and blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a new duck for me and a new blog to visit. CUTE duck and your drawing is so good. Thank you for linking in Anni.....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  42. The drawing is really great.
    The Whistlers captured perfectly, my compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What great sketches. I have yet to make the acquaintance of these interesting sounding ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have always loved her blog!! We've been blogging friends for over two years. Those whistlers always make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great sketch and photos, Anni! They are such interesting sucks, and I had never even heard of them till Theresa started posting her "family" of them on her blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete

.