my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


A bit Bird Brained!!

First off I'd like to thank all who stopped by this past week to send Bud and me good will for the holiday! Much appreciated. Hope your Christmas was a happy one. My dear hubby had me going on a treasure hunt yesterday. One gift under the tree...when I opened it, there was a clue inside a Wizard of Oz 75th Reader's Digest Magazine...I read the clue...followed it, and found another clue hidden. It went on for some time with more clues...finally a whole slew of little treasures. Fun. I fixed turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, cole slaw, cranberries. With our traditional 'dessert' for Christmas, Rice Krispie Treats! [I love 'em] Family called, texted during the day...we watched our last holiday movie for the week. We've been trying to watch a Christmas themed movie during the entire week...Yesterday, the last one, was Jim Carrey's Grinch. Others: The Christmas Candle [Susan Boyle], An American Christmas Carol [Henry Winkler], and The Polar Express [Tom Hanks].

The weather, for a few mornings, has been foggy and just yesterday, there was frost on the rooftops!! But it warmed nicely to a balmy 65 degrees by mid afternoon. During those foggy, wet, damp days, I worked diligently on my bird photo frames. It took me about 12 hours a day working on revamping the nasty lookin' black oval framing to taking OUT the black oval and getting them 'natural' as I could with my new software...then, getting them printed...much to my satisfaction. They are now a lot better than the previous ones. All my framed photos are of birds Bud and I have seen; getting pictures of them. In and around the Coastal Bend of Texas. In the last three years of taking up the hobby of birding, we have seen 200+ different species!!! And counting...

Before and during:



After:


Top Left to Right:  Killdeer and Bobolink
Middle Left to Right:  Painted Redstart, Groove Billed Ani, Indigo Bunting
Bottom Left to Right:  Blackburnian Warbler and Hooded Warbler

In total, there are ten frames. I'll share a few more. Sorry for the quality of the photos...I took the pictures with the cellphone, and the sunlight was coming in through the windows, so the venetian blinds are a bit of a hindrance.

Top two groups are as follows:
[first grouping] Top Left to right: Dicksissel, Magnolia Warbler
2nd row down left to right: Whooping Crane Family, White Tailed Hawk
3rd row down left to right:  Common Yellowthroat, Green Jay
Bottom Left to right:  Little Green  Heron, White Eyed Vireo

[2nd grouping] Top Left to right: Chuck Will's Widow, Scarlet Tanager
2nd row down left to right: Painted Bunting, Golden Fronted Woodpecker
3rd row down left to right:  Yellow Crowned Night Heron [juvenile], Black Necked Stilt with chick],
Bottom Left to Right: Baltimore Oriole, Osprey


Top Left to right: Northern Cardinal, Peregrine Falcon
2nd row down left to right: Eastern Kingbird, Nesting Ruby Throat Hummingbird
3rd row down left to right: Swainson's Hawk, Scissortailed Flycatcher
Bottom Left to right: Ladderback Woodpecker, Tropical Kingbird

Top Left to Right:  Barred Owl, Hooded Merganser, Green Parakeet, Chacalaca
Bottom Left to Right:  Brown Booby, Greater Roadrunner, Lazuli Bunting, Prothonatary Warbler

Top Left to Right:  American Robin, Red Tailed Hawk, Cedar Waxwing, King Rail [rare]
Bottom Left to Right:  American Bittern, Snipe, American Redstart, Sandhill Crane

Top Left to Right:  Neotropic Cormorant, Long Billed Curlew, White Faced Ibis, Magnificent Frigatebird
Bottom Left to Right:  Orchard Oriole, Little Blue Heron, Green Kingfisher, Caspian Tern

By the way, the other day I went to the grocery store and the change back was $6.66
This morning, the outdoor temperature reading is 66.6
It's a good thing that the time on the computer says 6:20 as I type this for posting. If the clocks had 70 minutes instead of 60 minutes [with a possible time of 6:66], I'd be a bit concerned; not that I'm superstitious!!!


66 comments :

  1. Hello, your bird photos and frames look awesome.. Well done! Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas day and lots of fun with the treasure hunts..Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kindly Eileen. Means a lot to me, from one birder to another.

      Delete
  2. These are super- I really like the groupings and the new frames. I'm glad you had a nice Christmas. We had lots of family and lots of noise! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quiet, beautiful day for us this year. I like quiet. lol

      Thanks Terri.

      Delete
  3. I really like the redo on the frames. I can't imagine finding all these birds to get the photos, let alone identifying each of them. We do have friends who enjoy birding as you, but I don't think they capture them in pictures quite the same, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Sometimes I need help from the field guides to ID 'em. Hawks and Sparrows are quite difficult.

      Delete
  4. They are wonderful, Anni. Now I hope you have a place to hang all those frames! And yes, I would have been worried to see that number repeatedly. I guess I'm superstitious, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....the dining room is heavy with pictures, paintings, and sketches of ....what else? Birds!!

      Thanks DJ

      Delete
  5. You did a nice job on the photos and frames; it's definitely an improvement! Love your new blog background as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you, thank you Bethany.

      Delete
  6. wow on the 666... and your new old bird pics look fantastic in there frames... what a fun way to get your gifts... I missed the Susan Boyle movie, will have to see if it is playing again. i watched at least one a day and sometimes 2 and one day 4...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, it was a bit unnerving.

      Delete
    2. Loved your framed bird photos!! So cool! That's interesting about seeing the triple 6 here and there. I'm the one that keeps seeing 555 so often it's uncanny. Wouldn't know what it stands for either, lol.

      Delete
    3. Karin...we all know what the triple sixes mean...now 555s is a whole 'nother concept. I dunno what it'd mean either. lol

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  7. Your photos are just lovely! Where are you going to hang them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they were up and on the dining room walls...BEFORE the revamp. So, they're back in their spots already. Thanks Florence.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a collection of photos. The frames are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yogi. 'bout those enchiladas, I hope you know now I'm cravin' one.

      Delete
  9. Wow ! That's a beautiful collection of photos !
    Hope you had a happy Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Ela. We did...hope you had a happy one too.

      Delete
  10. Wow, I'm always amazed at the infinite variety in the bird kingdom! I've never made Rice Krispie Treats, but I have two friends who make them all the time, so I just have to request them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...any way you can get R K Treats is good by me. lol

      Delete
  11. The bird pictures turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, I like them. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I am very superstitious! Ha! Ha! Lovely photos all enhanced in frames, very nice. A very Happy Merry Christmas to you and all your loved ones too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those three 6's showing up so close together like that was a bit eerie. Thanks Karen

      Delete
  14. Anni we are so glad to hear you had a good Christmas and a fun treasure hunt.
    OH MY WORD ANNI I AM NEARLY SPEECHLESS AND FOR SURE IN AWE OF YOUR FRAMED BIRD PORTRAITS (they are too pretty to be photos). I love the frames too.
    Lots of hugs from madi and cecilia to you all

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures have turned out beautifully!Your husband sounds like a fun kind of guy! Your meal sounds mouth watering!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. I think the mashed potatoes were the best part of the meal...I don't make them often enough. lol [too lazy to mash them]

      Delete
  16. That is an amazing collection of bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks....this is just a small bit of birds I've captured in photos. I do have 16 more that have been photographed, but I don't have frames for them yet. Will do them in the coming weeks I hope.

      Delete
  17. Bud was quite clever with his treasure hunt. Sounds like fun.
    Your picture makeovers looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tricky....I'm surprised I never found the clues .... cleaning house and all. But it worked out, He had just as much fun as I did. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  18. I do love your birds/photos -- as always, and it does sound as though you had a wonderful Christmas!! Hope you have a great and very Happy New Year and I feel certain you will -- you do know what's fun and important and that paves the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia....and Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  19. I'm late checking in on blogs, but enjoyed reading about your Christmas and the treasure hunt! Love the framed bird photos. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've had a harrowing December....it's understandable. Thanks Terri

      Delete
  20. Good Morning, Anni! Stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post today.! I wish you and your family a happy New Year! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning right backatcha Eileen!! Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  21. HI Anni Your bird photographs in the frames are gorgeous. Hope you liked the card I posted on Christmas day for you. I wish you and your hubby a very blessed, healthy and peaceful 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! I wasn't online for the week prior to Christmas, so I'm glad you stopped by to mention it for us all. Thank you. The robin with the snowfall is very pretty.

      Delete
  22. you've certainly seen and captured a lot of birds. may 2015 be as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. T. I'm hoping to see some 'new' species this coming year.

      Delete
  23. Anni, splendid collection of birds. Like your classy framing. Thanks for sharing. May you and your family have a happy and prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Doug. Same sentiment to you and your family.

      Delete
  24. That's one large project! Your changes are very nice - much nicer than before. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and that I'll do. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  25. Your frames and bird photos look great! I got an electronic photo frame a few years back, but I still haven't gone through my photos to select the ones I want to put on the memory card to show on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someday? Hope you can share when done...at least part of it?
      Thanks Gunilla

      Delete
  26. The photos look great and particularly so in the frame.
    Love the birds - they are adorable!

    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your framing project turned out very nicely, and the photos are splendid! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely Christmas! So glad it was a happy one! Love the framed photos...they have turned out so nicely! I plan to make the next six months a "framing season"...we have so many photos, lithographs, etc. that have never been framed and I want to see it done! Don't know WHERE I would hang anything (my walls are all full!) but I could rotate the pictures out as desired. Plus, there are a few things that will be gifts for next year (like the copy of the Declaration of Independence I bought our grandson in Williamsburg about six years ago! There's just no excuse for that kind of delay but I have to admit I have quite a few other things that are a lot older and still just "waiting." :-( It's time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes projects get waylaid for years. Hope you get some accomplished as you want. If not, heck....as Scarlet says..."Tomorrow's another day."

      Thanks for stopping by Marie.

      Delete
  29. How pretty! Your Christmas sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some of the best pictures I've taken were of birds. Yours are lovely.
    Rick, your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick....and welcome to Hootin' Anni's

      Delete
  31. Love all your bird photo. I have question..If there one bird entire world what would like to see and get a picture of?
    A flock of wild Turkey walk though our place earlier today.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't really state a specific species...but I would LOVE to go birding in Australia.

      Delete
  32. Those bird framed arts prints are just so beautiful Anni and bless your heart, spending so much time to get them precise. Now you can rest, a little bit as you look upon a brand New and Blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did a terrific job on the photos and frames, Anni.

    ReplyDelete

.