“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






This and That...

Just an eclectic post today. A bit of this, and some more of that. All animal life seen on our walks...
I've often posted photos of our fishing village on the island when we drive there for a morning outing. The other day, nice and sunny with a bit of a cool down from the summer's inferno, one of the two resident alligators was out and about. We had just talked to a couple who drove down here from Austin to do a bit of birding at the nature reserves and the man asked about the alligators "Have you ever seen them?" Of course I said we have on other days. Chatted a bit about how big they are, their distant calling sometimes, etc. But they were not to be seen at this time. Then, when Bud and I were up on the watch tower Bud noticed the female 'gator, Bags. We got the Austin couple's attention and they walked out on the pond level observation deck and watched Bags 'float by' at her leisure. I took pictures...



...my favorite this time is the ridges of her tail!!!

- - - -
About a week ago the Texas Bird Site I frequent told us here in Corpus Christi that the European Bar-tailed Godwit was back! Earlier by months, like early Spring, it was spotted and recorded as a 'first ever seen' in Texas! At the time it was morphing from its breeding colors to most likely the winter plumage. Well, this time around, upon its return to our area, it's in full Winter Plumage now. And much prettier. Or handsome if the case may be. And where it was reported seen this October it was at an area much much easier to see it...and no mucky bay mud to traipse thru! [The first time Bud and I went out to find it, it was along the shores of Oso Bay near the Naval Air Station, and the mud was quite a messy nuisance for us bird enthusiasts.] Of course I'll save the BEST photos for my bird photo blog, but I will show you this panoramic view. The one lone rare Bar Tailed Godwit is easy to distinguish from the birds of a feather it was foraging with...the MARBLED Godwits:


Can you find the Bar Tailed? It's pretty easily seen here...
Yep, the lighter, smaller, one to the far left. If you picked that one, you were right.

Now, I read a bit about them recently. Some come from Europe, others from New Zealand. But most of all, they're not supposed to be in Texas. Astoundingly, the Godwits fly from their breeding grounds in Alaska to New Zealand!!---NON STOP! For Eight days straight!! Birds continue to flabbergast me with their amazing stamina, intelligence, and feats of survival.
Again, later in weeks to come, I will post more and better photos of the individual Bar Tailed Godwit on I'd Rather B Birdin'. Just keep your eyes on the 'bulletin' above where I link each weekend a new bird series of photos.


- - - -

On another boardwalk, in another nature reserve park, I spotted this gecko [I believe it's a gecko anyway because of the extra long toes on a short stocky body. If I'm wrong, please correct me!]. It was clinging to a slat in the boards of the boardwalk...





- - - -

And still, more creatures of nature...



...seriously, this time of year with the late in the season rain storms we've had here and on the islands, the other day while driving to Port Aransas, it was like driving through a swarm of locusts in Nebraska countryside when I was a child! Our windshield played a bit of havoc tho...some didn't survive!! Everywhere we went the dragonflies were....well, everywhere!! I told Bud before we got out of the car to walk..."Don't open your mouth to talk, or you might have a lunch you didn't order!!"

Besides these beauties, there were orange ones, black ones, green ones and blue. I think the all red bodied one is the Scarlet Darter and the pink one is the Roseate Skimmer. Which is the male of the species...the roseate female is more brown. Also, as I followed their flight patterns through my zoom lens slowly in order to capture them after they landed, I think they can move [four wings] the fore and hind wings independently. Does anyone know this for a fact? It sure looked like it tho. I guess I shoulda set the camera on cam-corder and recorded their flight.


92 comments :

  1. Beautiful critters. Is that lizard blue? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More gray I think...but gray HAS blue in it so ya, a bit of blue.

      Delete
  2. My comment got lost, WHY do I never learn to copy them before I post them? The gorgeous dragonflies are the star of the post today, they are amazing. And I love those wonderful black wings! There is a pair and they are named? Do they ever have babies? I just saw on T.V. one called a caiman, cannot tell any difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the very same thing....forgetting to copy my comment before I choose profile log-in.

      I think the caiman is just smaller in size. Dunno for sure tho.

      And yes, the 'gators are named....Bags and Boots.

      Delete
  3. So many cool critters! I like the ridges on that gator too.
    Flying 8 days straight? That's incredible!
    That blue gecko is so interesting! I've never seen one that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either, that's why I had to stop and get a photo of it.

      Delete
  4. Awesome shots here. That gecko does have the same eyes as the gecko in the Geico commercial....lol
    Amazing that a bird can fly nonstop for 8 straight days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is so amazing myself also Ann. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Anni, a wonderful variety.. The gator is cool, awesome captures.. The Bar-tailed Godwit is a great bird. Love the gecko and the dragonflies. Great photos. Thank you for linking up to my critter party, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful series of images.....and I love your playful blog header!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. And it's good to know you enjoy my header graphic.

      Delete
  7. Well that Gator is certainly close! Fantastic shot and I also love the last shot. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning the Alligator and especially the dragonflies, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic photos! When I saw the thumbnail photo over at Eileen's, I thought it was rock with a pool of resin or something. And here it's an alligator! Love it. I went hunting alligator once in Bolivia (and then we ate him for supper. Long story) Love these shots. And that dragonfly, at the other end of the spectrum as far as delicate and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Judy. You have eaten 'gator meat? Wow.

      Delete
    2. Yes. It was like chickenfish, very good, and not gristly like boa constrictor. :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh my....I think I'll stick to eating chicken only. Boa Constrictor too?!! Oh my.

      Delete
  10. Super selection of critters Anni. The Gator shots are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Frank. Y'know I really liked your images this week also. Especially the bellowing stag. GREAT timing on that photo to be sure.

      Delete
  11. Hi Anni, love the photos and enjoyed the read. Thank you so much and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Ileana

      Delete
  13. Pictures of gators I can take, but just barely. That eye! Your dragonflies, however, are gentle creatures who are not interested in eating me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with all the fish, the ducks and other water fowl, those gators aren't hungry for human flesh tho. I could be wrong. [insert wink]

      Delete
  14. THIS gal would like to see THAT Alligator from atop the lookout!
    Love the close ups of the insects!
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow, i did not realize you have gators there, from what i see on your blog, you are pretty much like we are here in south Florida..that is a stunning photo of the gator.. and all the way from Alaska to NZ is totally amazing.. i saw your comment on another blog, i think it was Cranberry Morning, about gator meat tasting like chicken. i ate it one time only here in a resturant and it did not taste like chicken to me, but kind of like snails, i tried them to... i think my mind takes over to tell me i don't like it before i eat it. never tried snake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you're like me...the adventurous within only goes so far. I've tried octopus once...it was salty. Trust me, tough as leather I'm sure. Not my style. Now, on the other hand, Rocky Mountain Oysters are delicious deep fat fried. Have you ever tried them?

      Delete
  16. Quite the wildlife shots! Alligator shot is great!

    Happy Weekend to you!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bags looks friendly enough. Are you allowed to feed them? Pretty pictures as always here in your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we can't feed 'em. And, Paula, thanks for the compliment; it means a lot to me.

      Delete
  18. Definitely up close and personal with the gator, Anni!! What terrific captures! You do get the good ones and I'm so glad you share them with us!! Hope your weekend is off to a great start!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you enjoy my posts Sylvia, thanks!

      Delete
  19. The changing environments around the world are really affecting birds' migration patterns. So wonderful that you saw and photographed the godwits! Nice shots of the gator, too. Isn't it fun to share those sightings with other nature lovers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, but you're so entirely correct on that changing environment, thanks Gail,

      Delete
  20. Amazing critters! I love the gecko and the dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just adore your Halloweenie, witchy-witches having fun on your header! Great captures out and about as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Karen. Times two.

      Delete
  22. That Alligator is pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...actually, I think that's good to be 'scared' of them....that way we learn to respect their strengths and give them plenty of distance. Right?

      Delete
  23. Fascinating pictures. Being from the north,that Gator would be a little unnerving to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...even with these two that I see often when at the birding center, it's all still 'unnderving to me' too. I keep my distance and thankfully use the zoom. lol

      Delete
  24. I don't think i'd feel comfortable with alligators for neighbors . . . but, you make them sound peaceful enough. REALLY?? those birds fly eight straight days???
    Creation is so much MORE than i can imagine . . . wow!!! AND - that is one cute gecko -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is ever so fascinating...and it's all out there for us to learn more each day.

      Delete
  25. It is difficult to stop gasping with amazement as I scroll through your photos. The gator, the gecko, the dragonflies.. just spectacular. Loved the intro to the Bar-Tailed Godwit as well. Will be returning to see your photos on Wednesday. Have a wonderful Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I´m not really a fan of crocks. I like the smaller critter much better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I think alligators are the smaller of the two...I could be wrong.

      Delete
  27. All the amazing, beautiful forms of life!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love your dragonfly images. That gator looks like she means business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does? Every time I've seen Boots and Bags in the pond, they seem quite docile. But of course, I could be wrong. And I wouldn't want to find out either way. lol Thanks Barb

      Delete
  29. I always love your photos, but the gator shots are amazing!! I like the tail close-up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The photograph with the tail ridges is my favorite. An unexpected detail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Michelle. As you've read already, that is my favorite too.

      Delete
  31. Fantastic gator shots! Love the tail! So glad the Austin couple got to see her! Love the dragonflies, and the info on the godwits. So fascinating that they are showing up in Texas! I will be joining Bird d'Pot tomorrow with a single bird shot embedded in a larger post...I think you will love the post, though, since you used to live here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie...thanks. I'm looking forward to your post then.

      Delete
  32. nice images of the gator. I like the gecko too and the dragon flies are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amaizing images of the aligator! Do not think I want to watch a gator in the eyes at close range.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice post! The alligator is great.

    Some of the Godwit land in Australia - and I have been lucky enough to band some - strange to think that the last land they were one was Alaskan!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...they can travel a far distance in one 'shot' can't they? Thanks Stewart.

      Delete
  35. Fantastic shots of the alligator and other wildlife, Anni. Some of the migrating birds make such perilously long journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Pat. They do indeed.

      Delete
  36. You get the neatest shots! The alligator spine is very interesting to see up close. The delicacy of the dragon fly wings is always awesome. Nature study is compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just wanted to tell you--your high praise for my grey hawk shot really made me happy! Then today, what you said about my Tumacacori post was really REALLY sweet! Thanks a bunch for both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm happy to make you happy! lol ----but in all seriousness, your posts are very interesting, great photos, and of course all about common interests...Yep, I fell in awe of Tumacacori when I first set eyes on the area and mission!!

      Delete
  38. What GREAT collections of critters, Anni♡♡♡ Your fabulous photos of alligator sure made me wish to see the real one p:-) Beautiful eye and ridge♪

    Wishing you will have a wonderful new week, my friend.
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  39. Alligators. Crocodiles. Respect, those are not creatures to be fooling around with... And I love your dragonflies, when I see them hovering over our pool, I know it's summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and Summer's close by for you!! Thanks Ms. V

      Delete
  40. Bags looks a little scary to me. Love those dragonflies! I've never seen one quite that color. I'm having a hard time finding blog time lately. Hopefully things will calm down soon. I haven't been able to get any bird pics either. I can't believe winter will be here before we know it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life, and all that comes around can keep blogging in the background. I totally understand Betty. We're still watching the Gulf for hurricanes, tho I think, hopefully, the season is coming to an end. At least for the BAD hurricanes....never know and I don't want to jinx it.

      I was just over at your blog a few minutes ago...ironic! Congrats goes out to the band. How fun,......how exciting.

      Delete
  41. Happy Monday Anni! I love these photos. I especially love the ominous eyes on that gator :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post!! And Happy Monday to YOU!

      Delete
  42. So amazing! The first shot ... spectacular! The dragonflies are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome critter shots. Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your photos are amazing. I am so afraid of alligators.......
    I'm okay with the gecko and the dragon flies :) We have a lot of lizards here in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're not all that friendly looking those 'gators. I have a healthy fear of them myself.

      Delete
  45. Fabulous photos, Anni. The dragonfiles are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

.