my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Down Memory Lane...on Monday

For a few weeks, a new meme has made its way on the 'net. On my blog, it's linked from my sidebar.   I try to refrain from being online so much these days, and sitting too many hours without getting enough exercise... so I'm gonna do this meme with a little twist. I'll do five weeks of our hostess' prompts in one post. Hope that is okay. So, on with living memories and sharing in a condensed version if I may...

Prompt in bold text:

week ONE - first memory My very first memory of course would have to be my childhood. And it's a vivid memory! Not so much family orientated, but my health. You see, I was always getting pneumonia each and every blessed winter!! So bad, I'd have to be hospitalized for days/weeks at a time until my lungs cleared. I remember being under a plastic tent with air blowing and me breathing this air. The first time I was admitted, the nurses had to wake me and ask me to 'roll over' for a shot.  By the 2nd year, when I saw the nurse come into my room, I rolled over automatically...it was so routine and a ritual.  And vaccinations each and every day...on the butt. I have a mole there to prove it. For six straight years I spent a lot of days through my winters in the hospital. I finally outgrew it all.


Week TWO - first home My first home was one I can't remember. Other than being in the Nebraska farming community of probably  no more than 100 residents; and near a river. After I was about 4 the house we lived in was in Lincoln, Nebraska. This is where I lived for two years before moving with my folks and sister and brother [my other older two brothers had already left the nest and joined the military]. I remember the roses, the lilacs, the vacant lot, the woman down a few houses from us who made and sold homemade candies. I also remember learning to roller skate here. The sidewalks were uneven, and I fell all too often and would go running in with bloodied knees and elbows. Ahhhh, the good life!! So filled with little treasures of dreams and memories of growing up to become adult...rushing to get there, and now that I'm there...would like to go back oftentimes to the simpler life!!


Week THREE - first school My very first school I only attended for one year...Kindergarten! And this is in Lincoln, Nebraska again. The name of the school was, believe it or not...Clinton Elementary. [obviously not named after our Pres...he wasn't even born yet. So, when did that happen you wonder? I'm older than some presidents these days?!! Heck, somewhere along the time line, I've become very senior to just about everyone.] Okay, back to my first school. I went the very first day...wearing a turquoise taffeta dress with lace and pink flowers on the collar! All blond and a curly 'do' that my mom painstakingly fixed me up in. With turquoise barrettes to hold back the bangs. I attended a few hours...then!-----all 'hell broke loose'! It was mid morning and break time. The bottles of milk had been delivered earlier. Each of us got our bottle with a nasty collapsing at first draw paper straw! The milk had been sitting for over an hour on the steam radiators!! Not refrigerated....warming to room temperature! I gagged it down....got home and told my parents "I never want to go to school again!" The truth came out by bedtime...mom went to school with me the next day and explained I didn't like warm milk. It was then, I didn't have to have the milk...and all was well. The next year, 1st grade, I was in Colorado attending my 2nd school. And in Colorado I graduated high school.


week FOUR - first date I'm gonna go on another different twist than you'd expect. My first date I can't even recall, to tell you the truth...musta been a humdinger! But I can recall, with a great deal of wonderment still today, my first date with Bud. You see, it was on March 9th, 1968. Bud had made reservations at a very stylish, wonderful restaurant in the city, yet an out of the way place that was filled with a very romantic aura!! I, of course, worked and made my own money...spent an afternoon from work, shopping for that 'special' outfit...a black chiffon two piece. Straight skirt, lined in black satin, with a slit up to the back of my knees.  I chose to top the chiffon blouse with a simple lavender amethyst [not the deep dark purple, but light purple] encrusted pin that was always a good luck charm to me.  I was wearing it and got my first job...still have that pin!  Around 4 that afternoon, after arriving home, I took my own sweet time getting prepared for the big event. A bundle of nerves, yet filled with excitement having a date with such a good looking, tall, dark and handsome man. The doorbell rang...I answered and at the door was a delivery man with TWO dozen long stemmed roses for me. The card, from Bud, had "I look forward to this evening".  I still have that card and a pressed red rose from 46 years ago. The first date was a beautiful evening. Dining, dancing and talking to wee hours. By May of that very year [two months and two days to be exact], we were married. And have been for...46 years!!   Irene was born in 1969...so you can stop calculating...it was 11 months after the wedding.  lol   Bud still tells me I've not changed much, but I know better...gray has taken over the blond, and the smooth youthful skin has turned filled with age spots and wrinkles. Oh and I know there'd be no way I could even get that skirt over my hips let alone zip it up!!

Week FIVE - first friend Of course, my very first friend would have to be my mother. She was always there for me; unconditionally! From the first minute I arrived -well maybe not thee very first minute...she had to recover from her labor I'm sure- loving me to her last day on earth. She was beside me thick or thin...wrong or right...always supporting me in every way. Allowing me to make my own decisions as I grew up and learning from my mistakes and accomplishments was instilled in me from as far back as I can remember!! And she was there if I needed her. We were very close!! But, I'm sure the 'first friend' is meant to be someone outside the family. And, her name was Pat Jones. She lived across the road from us when we lived in the foothills of Colorado. We had a similar family. She was the 'baby' of the family as I was; with much older siblings. I also remember one of her older brothers...Larry. At our age of innocence, Larry had a sports car...yep, that much age difference in siblings. Soon, MY brother Lary [yes just one 'r'] had a sports car also. And this is where I began with an avid interest in mechanical work. I was always 'hanging around' while they revved up their souped up cars and tinkering with the engines. Back to Pat... I admired her and actually coveted her Barbie Doll! lol We'd play at her home, at my home, go to school [she was a year younger than I was] together. To me, being blond and blue eyed from the hicksville state of Nebraska, Pat was exotic! Her hair was coal black and she had the darkest brown eyes. At the age of 5/6, I had never laid eyes on such a girl before...always blonds surrounding me before we moved to Colorado. Sometimes we'd go to a movie together in the summer months. The friendship faded all too quickly 'cause her family moved. But to this day, as I type, I can still picture her in my memory.

41 comments :

  1. Oh, how sweet your first date was! 46 years! Amazing! I thought after I posted my My First Date memory that I should have shared my first day with Thomas, my BF. Chuckles for sure! I locked my keys in the van in the first 10 seconds...and we went toilet paper shopping. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now THAT sounds like a fun, interesting and very enjoyable time. You should've. lol

      Delete
  2. Glad you and Bud had a wonderful date. Thank you for joining my memory blog. Look forward to more writings in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly enjoying reading all the responses so far. Thanks Judy.

      Delete
  3. Those were all delightful, Anni....such fun to reminisce with you. I think you should look up your long lost friend...maybe she's on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know what her married name would be...and that was nearly 60 years ago. Thanks Linda.

      Delete
  4. These were fun memories. I too especially love the story about you and Bud and your first date. It was obviously meant to be. And your first friend, your mom, that's very sweet. Mine was MY first friend, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you had a tough start! That was no fun at all. I feel sorry for kids who have health issues to deal with when they're so young! Your milk story reminded me of a girl in my class who always set her milk bottle on the window sill so that it would get warm. (ICK) But that's the way she liked it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwwwwwww, and I STILL detest warm milk. lol

      Delete
  6. Dear Anni, Thank you for sharing these memories. It was so nice reading these memories; especially the first date. How special. the dress, pin, roses and 46 years later still wonderful. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm still in love with him. Thanks Catherine

      Delete
  7. I'm going to think this one over before posting. You have a very good memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I eat cheetos...helps with memory!! LOL...or is it fritos I eat? Can't remember. [kidding]

      Delete
  8. The description of your first date was what I had always imagined a first date should be. What a beautiful memory and the details are amazing. Sweet! I love that your first date was your first love and your love lives on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..well, Bud isn't my 'first love'...but VERY close. I lost my first love in Viet Nam.

      Delete
  9. Interesting to read about your life. Your husband was quite romantic and sounds like you had it tough with your health in your young years. You were very pretty in that special dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww, thanks Paula. For the compliments and your sweet feedback.

      Delete
  10. Wow! That was great fun reading all about your memories like that and I have to admit to will be interesting hooking up to Memory Monday. Your first date with your hubby sounds absolutely wonderful, and I love that you added a photo of you!!! Also, how awful to have pneumonia so many times as a child! Your friend Pat...have you wondered where she is today? It would be neat to find her again. I hadn't thought about it till your post, but I'd love to find my first friend! Quick question...I have been waiting for Bird d'Pot to open up for this week...is it coming up soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sorry Marie...I failed to change the link above to update it.
      It's been a tiring week and I hope things settle down a bit. I've often wondered what happened to Pat...it's all part of life tho...friends come and go.

      Delete
  11. Oh, forgot to tell you--thanks for adding that link on the Holbrook article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must tell you also, Bud was elated with your Holbrook post!!

      Delete
  12. Anni what a beautiful post full of wonderful firsts and memories...Bud sure did it up right...making him Mr. Right immediately
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was and still is a good man!! Thanks M&M

      Delete
  13. I loved hearing all about your 'First' memories!!! They are precious things and I feel priviledged to get to hear them. 46 years.......what a tribute to two people and a wonderful testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I enjoyed your condensed version of all five memories. It takes me a week to pull the memories together and find photos (if any) to share, but I am really enjoying this new meme, and look forward to reading everyone's take on the Memory project for the week. Now we have to wait five weeks to your next installation...anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it's just so much simpler for me doing it this way. Otherwise my posts would take up way too much time that I should be using in many other ways.

      Delete
  15. I loved reading ALL of your memories, especially the first date one! It must have been love at first sight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'knew' of him for months before, but never dated.

      Delete
  16. I really enjoyed reading all your firsts! So glad you outgrew all those health issues.I may have to try this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved reading about all your firsts but I have to say my favorite was your first date with Bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Ann, do you have a new blog coming up soon? This one took me to something different...with NO posts!! Thanks, glad you enjoyed reading my 'first date' with Bud

      Delete
  18. Barbie dolls were a big bonding thing between my first friend and myself too! we would play for hours at each others homes.
    loved hearing your memoirs - it's nice to hear about what is was like being a girl, or a young woman at different eras. It seems actually things don't change that much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed reading your memories. I especially like the detailed description of your first date with Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such fun memories, Anni! I love that your first date was your first love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it that you wrote of your Mom being your first friend. I was the oldest child and so I used to pretend that I had an older brother and sister.

    ReplyDelete

.