my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




When the moon hits Your Eye....that's ANOLES

1] Can you do this with your neck?...

Bendy...Twisty
linking to:  Wild Bird Wednesday


☼ ☼ ► ► ◄ ◄ ☼ ☼


linking to:  Good Fences
2] ...at the north bay sanctuary, the entrance gate is at the end of the public road...from there, it's private property [I guess...I did not see any 'no trespassing signs' posted anywhere]. A large wrought iron gate beyond this image I took, shows an entrance pass code number pad to open onto a gravel road beyond the embedded cattle guard rails! I did not want to attempt fate and be seen taking any photos of the touch pad for fear of a shot-gun ringing out from close-by. LOL


☼ ☼ ► ► ◄ ◄ ☼ ☼


3] HODGEPODGE
linking to: HODGEPODGE!!

1. I'm [Joyce, Hodgepodge Hostess] celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, 'You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.' Would you agree? If not why not? I never liked the ego-maniac, Douglas MacArthur. Enjoy what comes your way when it arrives. The older you get the more you experience, the wiser you are, but fear is a challenge given to us to conquer. Don't despair. I'd prefer Jimminy Cricket's theoretical basis...When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.... "Fate steps in and sees you through!"

2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your birth-year, just the same date/same month. February 9th - - 1942 - - Daylight-saving "War Time" went into effect in the U.S.

3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to 'have your cake and eat it too.' In all honesty, I can take things as they come without wanting it all. In other words, I can't think of a darned thing.

4. What's something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old? Young: giggle Old: trying to get up off the floor to stretch my back - after a long day of yard work and my back muscles rebel!

5. When did you last do something that was 'a piece of cake'? Consume that piece of cake. [it was a piece of carrot cake!!!]

6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What's something else you'd add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage) Older eggs are better for hard-cooking because their shells won't stick to the cooked egg white [I learned this from my mother decades ago]. Another 'item' I think of would be fruit trees...the older they are the more fruit is produced.

7. If I [Joyce] were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away? By my calculations we'll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is in time for Christmas. Something that would be easy to pack/ship to the winner of a giveaway prize...a small wind chime that will ring in the NEXT 200, maybe? And may I be one of the first to congratulate you, Joyce, on such a successful Hodgepodge!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. While it was raining most of the day one day this past week, I began and easily completed another project for Halloween. This one I got the idea from what I saw at an antique store that they had displayed near the cashier desk. Once I saw it, my brain switched into 2nd gear and I was off to Dollar Tree!! I had the pumpkin glitter tattoos from years ago, the witch's doll head, and ribbon. All I needed to buy was a package of 20 indoor cool lights in orange color [purple would do well also] and a clear glass pilsner glass. I chose a pilsner glass because it was closest to the shape of a human body.

witch doll's head - $2 [on sale last year AFTER Halloween @ Joann Crafts]
pilsner glass - Dollar Tree [$1]
Halloween ribbon - Dollar Tree [$1]
String of Cool Lights - Dollar Tree [$1]
Glitter Pumpkin self-stick tattoos [sale last year AFTER Halloween @ Walgreen's Drug Store .50¢]
piece of scrap black material
Gorilla Glue

After cleaning the pilsner glass, I added three pumpkin tattoos for 'buttons'. I thought of using my hot glue gun for a second then realized I'd probably break the glass. Flipping the glass upside down, I used Gorilla Super Glue to glue the head onto the bottom. When the head was dry, I added the lights and draped the scrap piece of black material for her cape and tied a short piece of Halloween ribbon around the neck to hide the seams of the material/neck rubber. Then, added the string of orange lights and voilà....


☼ ☼ ► ► ◄ ◄ ☼ ☼


4] Look! Up in the sky, it's a bird...it's superman...it's a plane!!

linking to:  Skywatch


☼ ☼ ► ► ◄ ◄ ☼ ☼


Her-r-r-r-e-e-e Lizard, Lizard, Lizard....

linking to:  Camera Critters  - Saturday Critters
5]  The large photo to the left on the collage is from our back yard [on fence] ... The smallest three are different days on Mustang Island. All are Brown Anoles

...and entire five entries will be linked to: lWilly Nilly Friday 5


September 19th note:  I hope this is okay...I feel that with Ann's family there must be such a great loss, and empty hearts... and it's tearing at me...On a sad note, Ann lost her best friend...Duke, yesterday. I know how difficult this is for her! But, with my heartfelt sympathies, know Duke no longer suffers and your memories will soon bring you smiles of the good times and days of the past!!  Those of us who knew Duke will miss him dearly...

112 comments :

  1. Great pictures again! That neck has quite the movement. That plane is really amazing to!
    Nice job on the Halloween craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have many lizards, and in the house too? The witch turned out very good! What kind of plane is this, and did you take the picture? What is that thing on top of it? This does NOT make you old. HERE is old, not being able to get either down OR up. Last time I fell I was alright, but we could not get me UP! Both my shoulders are broken and me knees are shot, nothing to pull up with. You are still good for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny....yes, I zoomed in on the plane as it was getting ready to land on the airstrip....it's RADAR. And as for the lizards, we have 'em in the garage, but so far, not in the house.

      Delete
  3. ....even the way my african grey parrot sleeps, with his head resting between his wings on this back???? i just don't about that... but he's happy, so let it be, heee heee heeee

    on my birthday, the berlin wall came down, kinda special to me since i'm german...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wish I could be so flexible sometimes...Like your parrot. Love your historical happening on your birthday.

      Delete
  4. Gee, my neck would be hurting..The airplane is neat and I love all the lizards...Cute idea for the Halloween Witch. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. Have a happy day yourself Eileen.

      Delete
  5. I love the witch, very crafty! Methinks we should rename the bird; how does 'pretzel neck' bird sound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sounds good to me Jacqueline

      Delete
  6. What a great post, Annie! Love the neck twists (!), the Halloween doll and the lizard especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there are plenty of lizards here if you'd like me to send you few. lol

      Delete
  7. oh, carrot cake does sound delicious. yum!! that for some reason look very space ship like? hope you are well ... i've been traveling & just catching up on some bloggy friends. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, hope your travels were for pleasure and you enjoyed it. Yep, it does look 'space ship like'....it's just radar tho.

      Delete
  8. As always, your pictures are amazing, Anni! I love your answer to #1...great perspective! The little witchy-poo you made is too cute...well, not sure that's the right word. However, I do like how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks April. As for my first answer, I thought/still do think that D. MacArthur loved to hear himself talk while doing not much of anything. Hence an egotist.

      Delete
  9. I made a carrot cake for my brother in law's birthday last month and it was yummy. Hubs always gets me chocolate with raspberry filling because that's what I love. I told him not to this year though. I'm trying really hard to watch my sugar, so I will just have a piece of cake when we dine out, and not have the temptation of a whole chocolate cake in the house all week. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, your favorite cake sounds scrumptious. Yep, the temptation of having a whole cake around is ... well, way too tempting. Enjoy your day too Joyce.

      Delete
  10. You aren my hubby were born almost together. He was born in February 1942, and I was born in December 1942. We are all of a tribe, all born on War Time. This is a great post, with lots of fun stuff. I enjoyed it all, Anni. You sure know how to have fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wasn't born in 1942....that was the year Daylight Savings Time came about.

      Thanks as always DJ

      Delete
  11. I always wondered that about hard cooked eggs. It's so frustrating to peel eggs, but once in a while there's a dozen that are easy. Now I know. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and with the boiled eggs....immediately pop them into COLD water after draining the boiling water out of the pan.

      Delete
  12. I too always use the oldest eggs for hard boiling. Something we used to do when we had several dozen chickens and had more eggs than we could use at their freshest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, great job on the post. Thanks for stopping by at my blog, and I'll link in to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by Linda.

      Delete
  14. love the bendy-straw necked heron. and the cute lizard, too. have some very similar gate toppers in this area! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your photos of gates during Good Fences...and admired them. We rarely get out in the 'country' to see them, but I took advantage of this one this past week. ;-)

      Delete
  15. Great posts, as always! Love that witch! How creative you are being! About that gate...I loved a lot of things about Texas. That state has a GREAT attitude about so many things, but there are a couple of things I hated. One thing is the outrageously high speed limits on highways that go through towns (though the speed lowers, we saw MANY big pickup trucks keep speeding and saw more than one wreck that resulted in a death!) and the other thing is the fact that there are no open areas where one can walk in the woods without being on someone's property (and in TX you can be shot for trespassing). Every piece of ground is behind a fence! And parks always charge. My husband and I would have loved to walk for exercise somewhere close to our house, but couldn't pay a fee to enter the park every day. All that was left to us was to walk on a road. Coming from other states, where one can often leave your car on a pull-off and walk into the woods to enjoy the trees and wildlife, it was hard not to be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of that as we always go to 'free' areas for birding. But, yes, trespassing is highly recognized in Texas. That's fine by me tho, 'cause if I were to own a ranch, I'd want that right to protecting it.

      Delete
  16. The lizards are so cute. The birds must do some serious yoga to be able to twist their necks like they do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they do have a great ability!!

      Delete
  17. MOL MOL mom doesn't need to do her neck like that...she has eyes in the back of her head...yes she is an alien.
    Anni your pictures...should be in a magazine for all to enjoy
    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving that Tricolored Heron. What a beauty! I love carrot cake. It would be so easy to eat more:) And I agree....fruit trees just get better with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....glad you enjoyed the Hero Chris....I too could easily eat more than my share of carrot cake.

      Delete
  19. #5 perfect answer! Great result on the craft project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this means you like carrot cake too? ;-)

      Delete
  20. I don't think so, Anni. My neck is getting pretty stiff in my old age. But, who knows, if I was younger.... maybe I could do the twisty thing. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Birds certainly can bend their necks in tons of directions, can't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was So surprised to see the first picture of the bird I've never seen. Theresa's comment taught its name " bendy-straw necked heron":-) Wow, how can they do nature is full of wonder♡♡♡
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...bendy straw necked heron indeed.

      Delete
  23. Nice set of photos! I like them all, but my fave is the Gate/Fence shot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bendy, twisty is just an adorable hoot! Thank you so much for always gifting us with your wit, and your beautiful, stunning and creative captures. It's like taking a mini-vacation for free!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Forgot to mention, I really enjoyed your beautiful artwork in your blog header photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks again, Karen. You know just how to make an ol' gal like me smile.

      Delete
  26. Fun post.
    Neat looking fence entrance (Good Fences)
    Cute lizard, I love lizards, I think they are fascinating.
    Great selection of planes there.
    Your witch project is really spooky good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love those bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  28. As a kid, we used to catch the anoles out in the garden. The males would always pinch us! Temperamental little guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I could pick one up at all to find out if they really do pinch. I'll take your word for it.

      Delete
  29. Greetings from Greece Anni. Yes I know I'd rather be birding but I am a bit but not seeing anything as exciting as your twisted heron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but I bet you're having a lot of fun tho, right?

      Delete
  30. I always love your posts Anni, great photos and the hodgepodge was fun to read. Just for the heck of it I looked up what happened on my birth day, and who should pop up but Gen Douglas MacArthur named commander-in-chief, UN forces in Korea on July 8th, 1950.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now THAT is ironic Denise. lol

      Delete
  31. Awesome skies and planes, Anni!! And great hodgepodge indeed!! A visit to you blog is always fun and I always learn something!! Doesn't get any better!! Hope you've had good week and have an even better weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sylvia. And thanks for hosting this week. Always a pleasure to have you stop by.

      Delete
  32. Great set of images.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cool selection of shots! I love the lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful montage of beautiful sky shots for SWF ~ Happy Sky Watching!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  35. That bird sure is flexible!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great photos and a funny backyard with the lizzards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those lizards can entertain. LOL

      Delete
  37. I do believe the word "Eclectic" fits here. I love your fence and I agree ... there doesn't have to be a "No Trespassing!" sign to know that there is no trespassing. I hear too much of the sound of gun fire around here now that hunting season has started, so I don't want to deal with the zing of a bullet zipping past my ear. I do love your crittters though ... both of them. Maybe I should say all three of them, as a witch is certainly some kind of critter. I am not ready for Halloween ... you have no worries, here we had snow already at Halloween last year, ugh. Anyway, that big plane looks like it is challenging us to ride on it's big disk ... double dare you :) Have a great week Hootin' Annie :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Andrea. I know you're traveling so, this visit from you is a special treat.

      Delete
  38. What a great variety of images Anni! Love the lizards and that plane reminds me of something from Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is a bit 'trekish' isn't it?
      Hope you're feeling better. Welcome back.

      Delete
  39. Great subjects, Anni. Good quality in the photos, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Replies
    1. ...can't get much better with #5. lol

      Delete
  41. I have never heard of War Time - time. And I did not know your birthday was in February. I am stopping by to say hello. Love the photos too. You live in a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie! It's nice to see you here. Hope you're doing well. War Time? That's what they called it long before Daylight Savings time...but same thing.

      Delete
  42. Came from sky watching meme. Enjoying your words and shots here :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Enjoyed your Hodge Podge answers and all your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! Hope you feel better soon, tho.

      Delete
  44. Loved the plane and wild bird shots. My Skies

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nice gate! Those figures are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for the kind words and wishes. Duke will be fondly remembered by many

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he will....You are so loved too Ann!!

      Delete
  47. I wish i had a longer neck.. mine is really short.. that is one strange looking plane..I love to watch the anoles doing their neck thing. we have one on our front porch that is about 7 inches long... and millions of tiny ones... great graphic of Duke and the rainbow. i loved that dog as do you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'll all surely miss him.

      Delete
  48. I just came from Ann's, could hardly believe it. We all just love Duke and he lit up our day. I read what you told her and came straight here. This is just lovely and I hope it gives her a tiny bit of joy in her misery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I can feel her loss. Duke was precious.

      Delete
  49. Hello Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Eileen, for being such a wonderful hostess!

      Delete
  50. All pictures are beautiful..Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for visiting Murthy

      Delete
  51. wonderful birds everywhere today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you stopped by....I know I really loved all your hummingbirds in YOUR post.

      Delete
  52. Neat critter shots ~ like the lizard one! ~ Happy Weekend to you!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great pictures as always Anni. Love the Herons.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ouch!! My neck feels sore just looking at the way those birds are twisting theirs!!! Nice captures ... love those witches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I can't view your blog since I'm not an invited guest nor do I do Google+
      But thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  55. I'm a huge airplane fan. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by Margy

      Delete
  56. Oooo! I love carrot cake. Stunning photography as always, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too...it's so yummy.
      Thanks Veronica

      Delete

.