“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Reader's Digest Version...

RUBBISH...


In a field where a new WalMart Supercenter is open at Flour Bluff, Texas [suburb of Corpus Christi]
Linking to: Rubbish Tuesday


HODGEPODGE...
linking to: HODGEPODGE!!


1. On Thursday we pause to remember a dark day in history-9/11. Will you mark it in some special way? I will do nothing special.

2. Do you ever/still...listen to an actual radio? Watch a videotape (VCR)? Look up a number in a phonebook? Refer to a paper map while traveling? Set an alarm on an alarm clock as opposed to your phone? Yes, I listen to the radio when I'm alone in the car. Usually loud with my windows open. Oldies but Goodies station 93.1 Corpus Christi. - We have a DVD/VHS player and we do have some VHS tapes/movies that we'll watch occasionally. - Yes, I use a phone book once in a while also, but it's quicker and easier to read online if you do a Google Search for a number. - Paper maps?!! Yes. Bud is usually the navigator. We have navigator on our phone but there are THREE problems with using that...most times the light in the car makes the maps unreadable with the glare on the phone screen...the voice navigator is difficult to understand sometimes...AND the navigator eats away the battery power. - As for alarm clock, we haven't used one on either clock or phone for nearly 20 years!!!!! [retired]

3. Is it ever a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don't know? No, I usually take the 5th.

4. What's a dish you haven't eaten all summer, but come September find yourself craving? Have you made it yet this month? Won't be September that I'll fix it, probably October but I always crave some crock pot chili con carne!!!

5. What's something you know nothing about? The back side of the moon.

6. September is Classical Music Month. Do you like classical music? If so, what's your favorite piece? I love classical music. I can think of two of my favorites off hand---Fur Elise and Bolero.

7. What's the oldest thing you own? My grandmother's wedding photo...1902

8. Insert your own random thought here. Worked outdoors this morning before the temp soared to 93 degrees....again!!!




 - - -

1]  Last week, I had a little trivia with a photo of a celebrity from long ago...on TV. My clue that day was: "A now semi-retired TV celebrity, but not known to many." Actually it was a game show of sorts. My kids both really enjoyed the program and continually laughed, which was good. I was leery at times that they should be watching it, but figured if they laugh, that's good medicine. At least they were home, safe, and not getting into trouble with other teens like they like to do. Besides, compared to today's TV, that program was tame and LAME. lol Oh well, the character I had you try and guess who he was, was a fellow named Murray Langston....



AKA - Gong Show's UNKNOWN COMIC

...at the time, he had quite a cult following. Several kids even dressed up like him on Halloween.
    Murray Langston was born in Canada and left home at the age of 15 because his parents, disabled and financially strapped, could not afford to raise him and his younger siblings. He emigrated to the United States by joining the U.S. Navy, serving during the Vietnam war but never seeing battle action as a sailor. Other than the Gong Show as the stand up comedian, he appeared on TV with Sonny and Cher, Red Foxx, The Laugh-In, Bobby Vinton, to name a few. Langston most recently reappeared as The Unknown Comic in the film Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Also in his repertoire of accomplishments, he has written books, done charity work, and raised two daughters as a single parent. READ MORE...

photos courtesy of Google Images


Linking to Good Fences
2] Bud and I drove to the yearly Hawk Watch at a park in Calallen, Texas. Tho, we were there way too early for hawks, we did get a chance to see several hummingbirds at the feeders near and on the Observatory Platform. The volunteers have placed several dozen hummingbird feeders around the area. Along with the hummingbirds, we spotted some juvenile blackbirds, one male cardinal that was coming out of molt, some Inca doves, white winged doves, sparrows and more. At this park, Hazel Bazemore Park, there is a couple of fresh water ponds...there we saw snowy egrets, American avocets, a great blue heron and some sanderlings. As we drove through the parks winding paved lane along the Nueces River, we spotted a crested caracara in the tree top and along the electrical lines, perched high above, a couch's flycatcher. Then, on the way back to Corpus Christi, we stopped at West Guth Park [northwest Corpus] and walked the trails that meander through the hills...it was so green there! Finally, rains are making our area look like the subtropics that it is! At West Guth we saw many geese and ducks on the man-made pond. In the grasses on the knolls we spotted several long billed curlews. And flying above the pond's water many terns [Forster's Terns] busy diving onto the water, beak first, catching and eating insects and fish!!----





linking to: Wild Bird Wednesday - Nature Notes - Our World Tuesday


3] Next month...it's October!! Already. Other than the long hot summer dragging on and on, it doesn't seem very long ago, it was October of 2013. My goodness. Anyway, I went to Michael's Craft Store to buy something. Heck, I can't even remember what I was there for now. But, I got it, had it in my hand and was walking to check out and pay for it. BEHOLD!! The Halloween shelves and displays were calling me ever so softy..."Anni, Anni? Come over here. See what's in store for this year!" Temptation got the best of me. I was side tracked by the black, orange and purples!! Trinkets and fun stuffs galore. Tho the urge was getting heavier and heavier as I perused the aisles, it took every ounce of will power to just walk on by...drooling!! Then, it hit me flat on my face. A Witch's Hat!!! I had to have it. Until I saw the price they were asking!!!! Ummmmm, that crocked it. I wasn't about to spend $70.00 for something I could make for less than half the asking price.

...so, I hopped in the car, drove to Hobby Lobby and purchased what I needed!
Grapevine wreath - $3.99
Grapevine cone - $7.99
Black Spray Paint [at Wal Mart] - $.96
Ribbon, flowers, and feathery Owl, box of 20 purple lights [at the Dollar Store] - $7.00

TOTAL $19.94 plus tax.

Went home and started the project. I wired the grapevine cone to the grapevine wreath. Bent the cone a bit to shape the hat. Then, spray painted the 'hat' black. When dried, I added the orange ribbon for the hat brim, tying it in a bow. After that, added the flowers and wired the owl to the hat's brim. When all done, I took the string of purple lights and worked it up through the bottom opening to the tip of the hat; secured the lights to the wreath/brim and for less than $25 I had the same as what Michael's was selling for $69.99!!!





4] Sunday, September 7th, at NYC and Yankee Stadium it was Derek Jeter Day!!! He's been playing with the Yankee team for 20 years...this is his last season before his retirement. And he's always been my favorite!!! I will miss him!! [I wore the #2 Jeter NYY t-shirt all day.] And no, I'm not an Astros, DBacks, or Rockies traitor. I've followed Derek since the beginning and he's always been so congenial towards his fans of ALL ages...and a great team captain and sportsman; there to play the game, oftentimes injured. It's gonna be a black arm band day on the Yankees' last day of the 2014 season for me.


5] I've tried to condense and add as much as I could to this one post. The reasoning behind it is that I am about to take a blogging break for a week, maybe more. Bud and I have a lot of catching up on yard work that has been sorely neglected during the heat blast we've had this past summer. And there is a LOT TO DO. Also, the Fall Migration has started with a big bang...so when we're NOT working in the yard, we will be gone birding! But, in the meantime I will continue with my weekend meme "The Bird D'Pot" each Saturday as I have prescheduled posts there. If I can I will stop by and say howdy to those who visit there, beginning Saturday September 13th---
linking to: Willy Nilly Friday 5

- - -


Linking to Sky Watch
A street light looming bright in the distance of about a mile from our garage door....seen from our home toward a freeway against a dark morning near sunrise.





104 comments :

  1. You are so talented, Anni! I love that pretty witch's hat you made. Give that girl an idea and she'll just take it and run. Hope you enjoy your blogging break. See ya when you get back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got your work cut out. Enjoy the break, don't work too hard, and especially enjoy that birding! Migration must be a fascinating time! I've seen bluebirds cluster (about a dozen is all) and of course the geese, and even saw the ground and trees thick with Monarch butterflies in Mexico, but nothing like what you're going to see I bet. I'd love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it's been busy busy busy in the yard...we did go one place for the week, but now it's raining...so maybe next week.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy the break; a hiatus is good. btw my mother-in-law was from Robstown. Love the hawk metal sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....you MIL and I would've been nearly neighbors then!

      Delete
  4. Great shots of the birds! Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for your witches hat ... and before we know it it will be Christmas!
    Have a good blogging break, sounds like you will be busy so hope the 'change is as good as a rest' for you :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That barn in your first images is really neat.

    hope you have a good blog break

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Good job on your blog post. I always enjoy your photos, too.
    Have a wonderful blog break. We all need those once in awhile. Looking forward to your return! Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are indeed talented, Anni. And active! I loved this post because it brings your life into focus for me and it's a good one, with creative ventures, nature and fun in equal measure. Your info about Murray Langston revived an almost completely faded memory of The Gong Show. I hadn't realized he was such a survivor. Thanks, Anni! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting fence adornment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh- to have your talent! I love seeing what you make, draw, paint, and photograph. And I well remember the Unknown Comic. The Gong Show was something I watched faithfully growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you watched it too...so did my two kids.

      Delete
  11. Nice barn, birds and other photos, but I'm really happy I caught the name of that show. The Gong show I seem to remember it, just not exactly when. Oh Google....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...back in the 70s I believe.

      Delete
  12. Have a great break, Anni.
    My nephew and his wife just sold their home in Flour Bluff and moved to Arlington..he works for Home Depot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too crazy about Flour Bluff...so I think their move was a wise decision. lol

      Delete
  13. I still use paper maps often. You cannot completely trust a GPS. Enjoy your break. I'm excited about migration, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's entirely true about GPS/Navigator

      Delete
  14. I had forgotten about the Gong Show! Ha! I love your photos, as always. Enjoy your blogging break!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting questions today; Here are some of my thoughts...
    -Car Radio sometimes --unless we have CD's with us; Haven't used VCR in years; Haven't used a phone book in years; Definitely don't use a map anymore --love our GPS (best thing ever invented for travelers!!); BUT--the times we "have" to get up really early (for traveling) --we still use an old trusty alarm clock....It's not even a digital one --and we like it better since it's easier to set the time....ha

    -NEVER talk about religion or politics --unless you want problems...

    -A Fall Dish I am waiting to fix is a big pot of pinto beans and cornbread... YUM.

    -I love classical music (especially choral works). One of my favorite works is the Faure Requiem...

    -I have an old quilt from my mother's family. I also have Mom's ring --which I think belonged to someone in her family...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But as Jen said above, not always trustworthy, GPS is.

      Delete
  16. my husband believes in the conspiracy theories of 9/11, I will shut my ears .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, I love your witch's hat...well, my daughter would love it especially. It is tempting to get the stuff to make it for her and Lorelei.

    I did not know the celebrity after you told....almost glad cause I didn't feel stupid for not recognizing him.

    I enjoyed all your post...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting that was Murray Langston! I do remember him! LOVE your witches hat. You are so right--Michael's is horribly expensive!!!! I wish there was a Hobby Lobby around here. My hubby was saying he wished he had some chili yesterday! :-) Well, hope you have a great blog break. We do have to take those from time to time, or we'd never get anything done, I guess. See you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud and I were just talking about how Michaels is way over cost. Thing is Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays...when I need something for crafting...on Sunday...Michaels it is.

      Delete
  20. Enjoy your birding Anni, that's something special, watching a migration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Shadow...we didn't get much in in terms of birding this week...and now it's rainy. So will try again this coming week.

      Delete
  21. Hello Annie!:) Interesting post as usual. I loved the creative witch's hat,probably cost more than the one you looked at in the store if for sale. I still listen to the radio, in the kitchen, mostly, and we still use our film cassets on occasion. I also have treasured old photos of my grandparents wedding and documents.
    Enjoy your break,, it will be a pleasure now that it's cooler outdoors. Have fun!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...today it didn't get above 75 F....Bring on the cooler temps.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  22. I listen to the radio a lot in the car as well. As far as VCRs, I have one at home but haven't used it in years since I've gotten a DVD player. I wonder if they even sell VCRs anymore? I cannot even remember the last time I ever saw one in a store. Wow, 93°? I hope it cools down in your neck of the woods soon since autumn is almost here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks...yes it was 93 last week...but today, it's not even 75...yippee.

      Delete
  23. I missed your trivia last week, but I do remember The Gong Show : ) Fall is slowly unfolding here, and I'm ready. Once Labor Day passes I say bring on the glorious color and temps of autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...lucky you...our color change [if very little] comes around December.

      Delete
  24. Enjoy your break, Anni...it's good for the soul! I remember the Unknown Comic! Man, I'm getting O-L-D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah....if you're old that makes me ancient!! Thanks April.

      Delete
  25. Loved reading your answers.
    Especially the bit of trivia about the Unknown Comic.

    I am cooking Crockpot Chicken Chili today.

    Visiting from Hodgepodge Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge answers. I just remembered that I have some photo of my great grandparents that my aunt had framed which I took home after she passed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there y'go. photos!!!
      Thanks Debby

      Delete
  27. We should definitely all pause to remember. It's the 13th anniversary--the 15th and 20th will be huge, I'm sure. I was able to visit the World Trade Center the year before 9/11--we walked around in the lobby where all the shops were and talked about going to the top. (We were there looking for the discount theater tickets that are sold on Saturday mornings in NYC.) When I visited five years after, it was a big hole in the ground with construction. Very profound experience. Now I have to go back and see the new towers to show that even when bad things happen, America stands strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. America is falling from what it was decades ago...and that is sad. Just look at society these days...everything must be politically correct. I could go on and on.

      Delete
  28. I love your hat and the pretty terns. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anni, I always grin or LOL at your hodge podge answers. You are so witty. Concerning the paper map thing, I don't know how I arrived on time anywhere before GPS was invented. I have a horrible sense of direction and trying to read a map makes me somehow more confused. I have fussed at the navigation voice on more than one occasion though, when I thought she was leading me astray. Enjoy your break! I'm ready for another one myself. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading a map is a bit easier for us....the phone navigation can be disrupting when you're trying to drive in a busy, busy city that you are not familiar with to begin.

      Delete
  30. Good luck with the overdue yard work. I do so enjoy your photo's. Have fun birding! I'm sorry to hear the migration has begun because that means winter is on the way! YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...winters are very mild here...I look forward to it.

      Delete
  31. Beautiful shots of the terns.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes I do sometime listen to a radio since I found out John's hometown has a radio station and I would look numbers up in the San Antonio phone book if I could see the names. Why did they start printing them so small? Oh I know it's my eyes. Enjoy your yard work. I hope you like it as much as I do. Can't do as much as I used to but still try to do some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only do so much, then quit for the day...it's too hot to do a whole bunch right now.

      Delete
  33. I never would have figured out the unknown comic from the gong show. I do remember that though.
    I absolutely LOVE your witch's hat.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aw, I'm going to miss but you have a well-deserve Blog break. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be back in full swing when our work is done. I'm sure of it.

      Delete
  35. You give us a lot to think about in 1-8. I enjoyed having coffee (or whatever you drink) in the morning with you. I would say yes to everything in #2. #6 Theme from the Andante by Tchaikovsky #7 Good question. Probably a piece of jewelry from my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...excellent choice for classical!!!

      Delete
  36. Ditto on the HodgePodge Chili. I'm thinking this weekend since we have had a cool down. Feels like chili weather here. I recognized that face but never would have guessed he was the unknown comic. Loved him and loved that silly gong show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew anything about him until the other day I stumbled upon his name and connection.

      Delete
  37. Not many birds have come through our hawk watch yet. The winds haven't been right. Strange year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's funny, I was telling Bud I've noticed that there are so few spoonbills in our area this year...strange indeed.

      Delete
  38. Well, let me think...that could be a bad thing;) No not really. I would have enjoyed a cook-out with family, but our lives got busy! The oldest things that I own came from hand me downs that my great-grand-father gave to my father. He had been the first US Ambassador to Egypt from 1923-1927

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your 'hand me downs', I'm sure are treasures and priceless.

      Delete
  39. Hello, my second visit, and it's as enjoyable as my first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks again, then, Karen.

      Delete
  40. Have a super break and I hope you get all caught up on chores..but also have a wonderful time birding! I love your witch hat- that is so cute and it looks easy to make. I may try that for our upcoming carnival, maybe for a door prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well now, that would be an excellent door prize.

      Delete
  41. I hope you'll have a great break from blogging. I'll miss your lovely photos. I like the photos of the hawks a lot. It's always enjoyable to visit your blog and view your splendid bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely serie, a lot to see and study more closer!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I remember the Gong show, I was in Canada in 1975-77, we watched American shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you remembered it.

      Delete
  44. Now, I want to chili con carne! Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lots of interesting things here this week. I liked your Eagle on the fence for Good Fences. - Enjoy your blogging break.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well, take your break. I've known several bloggers that took a break and never came back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever stop blogging...I may slow down some...but always come back.

      Delete
  47. Glad I stopped by, Anni! Your witches hat is great, and isn't that the truth about Michael's vs. Hobby Lobby, ha- ha! Have a good break - looking forward to seeing what you capture while you're away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's been quite different weather-wise that we hoped. So not much of anything got accomplished. Yes Michaels vs. Hobby Lobby is a whole 'nother subject. Expensive vs. affordable.

      Delete
  48. Some really interesting photo's, I especially liked the birds skimming the water. And good on you for making your own witches hat, that was quite a saving.
    Enjoy your break.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love that hat! I can't wait for October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. It's such a TERRORific month for me.

      Delete
  50. Hi Anni my mom was away for 3 days this week. We hope you have a wonderful break. Mom still listens to the radio every day in the morning and she still has a land line and OMCs a flip phone.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we haven't had a land line since Tucson. No reason for one these days.

      Delete
  51. wow jam-packed post..I love your creative side and yes those things can be expensive.. love the birds and reading your answers...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  52. oh you are so talented, love that witch hat, you should sell them on etsy! great hawk photos...funny, yesterday as i was leaving kroger a hawk swooped down and tried to land on the car in front of me in the parking lot...then he came straight at me, then up and over and gone! i was thinking "and here i am without my camera"! gah!! haha we used to watch the gong show when i was a kid. my dad loved it. i always thought the unknown comic was so funny! yes, so tame compared to tv now days...kind of scary to think how much further tv can and will go. will we just watch straight out xxx movies on tv in a few years? i didn't do anything different for 9/11. i did think about it all day. put a tv show on later that night about the firefighters and talked with my twin boys who weren't born yet but i was pregnant with them, i asked them if they discussed it at school and they had. i noticed all the flags at half mast and found it very touching...still after all this time can make me cry...thank you for linking to willy nilly and have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

.