my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Bear With Me...

1] First off, my title..."Bear With Me"...is it supposed to be bare with me? Or bear? Well, I would think that it should be bear instead of bare [naked]. In this context it should be 'bear' because in all reality the terminology here is a short version of the root word 'forebear' meaning: to have patience. There, hope that clarifies it for you. LOL

September 26th, 2014 will go down in the Yankees' history annals. I've watched him grow from a young player to an all time record breaker and I may add one who takes his fanfare seriously and treats his fans with respect and knows that without them, he wouldn't be where he is today!! It was Derek Jeter's last home game before his retirement. 20 years on the NYY field. A shorstop and team captain. And in so many ways it was an historical event. Bottom of the ninth inning, one out, NYY had a player on 2nd base. Up to bat, Derek Jeter. First pitch [Baltimore Orioles].......Derek hit a base hit out into right field. The player on 2nd made it to home plate, giving the Yankees a win!! And Derek a hero. The fanfare was deafening. If you follow me at any time, you'll know that he's been a favorite of mine for a long, long, LONG time. I was ecstatic and tearful at the same time. Awww, shucks, MLB dot com allows us to share in the moment of history...



As the commentator states "It wasn't just that he did it...it was the WAY he did it!"

*---♠♣♦♥---*



2] I finished one of the best books I've read in a long, long, time!! Of course, it helps that it's a favorite subject of mine. Edgar Allan Poe. But this book was more about his love affair. Historians still battle with the concept that this may all be conjecture..."is it really based on fact?" I guess we'll never know. But, in the literary field, there is speculation that Mr. Poe had an affair while married to his 1st cousin, Virginia. An affair with Frances Osgood. She had a bit of 'fame' herself...being a poetess. No matter really...the book was truly a page turner!! So descriptive and intense at times, as the reader,  I had to continue without stopping to see what happened the next day and the next. I even thought, after completely reading it from cover to cover..."This book would make an excellent historical drama!!" The book? Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen...
    From the back of the book: The Author's note ending lines---"There, between the pages, her wit and passion gleams, as does her everlasting love for Edgar Allan Poe."
I'm sitting here with the keyboard telling you this Mrs. Poe is phenomenal! Tho speculative in correctness...it's one that will leave you wanting more. And I rarely read the notes and acknowledgements in the back of the book...but I did. That says something positive.

After completing Mrs. Poe, for me it's always a bit difficult to actually get an excellent read out of my mind for some time, but while at half price books over the weekend, a book that has been in my cellphone folder of ones to look for while perusing their shelves...I can delete it from the phone...I found it!! It's dubbed a thriller, and 80% of reviews I've  read, it's another excellent page turner. I'll be the judge for myself of course, but so far, it's just that, a gruesome thriller...all about Judas, Jesus' betrayer. The caption on the book states "Revenge is about to get biblical"...I've literally consumed the first 10 chapters and the book has definitely caught my attention!! One reflection from another reader states::
    ... a surprising portrayal of the man who betrayed the son of God with a kiss. Not a book for the faint hearted, a brutal, gruesome thriller, representing the aftermath of Judas Iscariot’s betrayal of Jesus: a roller coaster ride of horror.
I rarely choose this genre [or for that matter romance novels], but these two I mention here today are just exactly opposite of my preferences... yet ...who knows I may enjoy this one as much as Mrs. Poe.

*---♠♣♦♥---*


3]...and MORE from our back yard-


Copper Ore from Green Valley, Arizona--------- Firebush


Epiphyllum Flower Bud------------------------------Ceramic Frog Globe


Gnome ---------------------------- Resin Frog Figurine-------------- Oriental Iron Lantern

Frog Couple------------------------------------------Frog with Straw Hat
Variegated-leaf Hybrid Hibiscus--------------------Kokopelli Wood Figure Bud Made on Fence


*---♠♣♦♥---*


4]
...and the rains came early today!

 *---♠♣♦♥---*


5]

The Nutty Professorional!!

linking to: Willy Nilly Friday 5 - Skywatch Friday - Camera Critters - Saturday Critters

82 comments :

  1. Oh I loved Mrs. Poe - it was a great read! I love all things Edgar Allan Poe anyhow, but that book was great. I always see you commenting on the same blogs as me - nice to stop by :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa...as I mentioned, I too love anything and everything E A Poe!!! Glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  2. Very nice photos!
    Greetings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni.. you are really newsy today. Saw the Jeter hit last night on TV, and such a great way to end his career. Love your pictures....the squirrel is so cute, and can be so destructive! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...around here, it's a battle between ME and the squirrels for the pecans. LOL

      Delete
  4. We watched the news this morning and we got to see the piece on Jeter. Excellent!
    I am jotting down the books you told us about in the hopes of finding them! You have caught my attention! As always, I love all your photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Linda! Y'all know I've been enjoying your trip through our area of 'home town' week.

      Delete
  5. The rain came early here too--right on the first day of Autumn. I love your picture--there's something magical about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anni, Yes, Derek did it in style!
    Finding a good book to enjoy is a blessing. I will look this book up. I am a fan of Poe.
    The squirrel is simply adorable!
    Have a beautiful weekend. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and Blessings to you dear Catherine.

      Delete
  7. I do love your Nutty Professionals!! I have three on my doorstep right now, chomping on peanuts!! They're my first early morning visitors!! Great post and pics as always!! Thanks for sharing! And thank you for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comments!!! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your red sky was mind blowing gorgeous Sylvia!!! And, thanks for the visit/compliments.

      Delete
  8. Very neat photos of the rain and squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Bethany.

      Delete
  9. We're waiting for the rains. I like your frogs, I even like real ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it drizzled a bit again here this morning. I'm so enjoying it. Hope y'all get some soon.

      Delete
  10. I am a rock collector, so I am drooling over your copper ore!! We love Poe! We have been to the Poe Museum, which is in his old house in Richmond. Annabelle Lee and The Raven are to of his best. Remember long ago all those Poe movies they made starring Vincent Price? I adore your rain picture. and is that both a red and a grey squirrel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...Vincent Price....excellent. How we miss him. And to go through a museum dedicated to nothing but Poe would be a dream tour for me.

      As for the copper, we toured a copper mine and I bought this...wasn't about to leave it behind when we moved to Texas so it came with us in the moving van. LOL BTW...it's extremely HEAVY.

      Delete
  11. I love reading your posts Anni, and looking at all the photos. It's great that Derek Jeter, with all his fame and glory, has kept his humility. A humble guy who knows he wouldn't have had this recognition if it were not for his fans. He's also a great baseball player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, indeed! Thanks Denise.

      Delete
  12. Just hope that you are looking forward to a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy your weekend too.

      Delete
  13. you have a beautiful garden and i love that copper ore! i always feel a little sad when i finish a great book, kind of like not being able to "see" your "friends" anymore. those squirrels are so cute! love them! thank you for linking and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and thank YOU for hosting Tanya.

      Delete
  14. Just went to the library website and put a hold on the Mrs. Poe book. I think I will enjoy it very much. Love all the frogs, they made me smile all right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Hope, also, that you let us know your thoughts after you read it.

      Delete
  15. I am going to check out both of those books! Thank you.

    Hummingbirds love firebush! At least here they do. I am definitely going to plant some. We have one hummer left; the other one flew into the window on the front of the house. Made me so sad.

    I wish there were more role models like Derek Jeter. Class act all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we do have the firebush, but for some reason, they flock around the red hibiscus and lantana more so.

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed your photos so much. Thanks for sharing the video too. Happy that you enjoyed your book. Guess I'll be reading a lot this winter.
    Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Winter is a great time to sit quietly and enjoy a good book.

      Delete
  17. The book sounds wonderful; so glad you enjoyed it! Love all the frogs.
    Have a great weekend. Ribbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ribbit" right backatcha!! ;-)

      Delete
  18. sounds like some good reads. Usually if I read a particularly good book the next one I read always seems to be a disappointment

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did not remember Willy Nilly!!! I get so aggravated with myself for forgetting things like this.

    I really enjoyed your five and should make a note about the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't fret so Rose....your blog posts have such a great personal interest...we love visiting with you no matter.

      Delete
  20. You've got some amazing pictures this time! I like the frogs in your garden, very cute!
    I would like the Mrs Poe book - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it truly was a great book to read. At least for me it was.

      Delete
  21. Very interesting post - lovely photos! I really like your Header, too.
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Lea. I'm glad to have you stop by. Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  22. A great mix of shots. I love how red the squirrel is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're quite rambunctious 'bout now, and so fun to watch.

      Delete
  23. Poe is one of my favourite writers. Great reviews! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a favorite for me too!!! Have a great weekend yourself Ann.

      Delete
  24. I thought Judas killed himself. Hmmm. Love your squirrel shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the book is fiction and will probably work up to it!! Thanks Betty

      Delete
  25. I love your image of the light and rain.......and what a beautiful squirrel,his colouring is splendid.......lovely tail too!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the positive feedback!!

      Delete
  26. Oh your image shares are quite delightful, the Red Fox Squirrel so charming and I appreciate the reasoning of bear and bare, goodness, I always get that confused ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...lol...glad I could help you out in the bear/bare. It IS confusing.

      Delete
  27. Love the 'Nutty Professional'. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Margaret. Have a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  28. little crazy fox squirrel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we do enjoy our varmints, don't we Ms. T? lol

      Delete
  29. Well you ended with the little stinker- so cute! I haven't read either book, but I am adding Mrs Poe to my list..that one sounds like a good one. You have a whimsy garden and I love it! Have a great weekend Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Terri....Yep, they sure are cute I agree....wonder where they all are today...we are getting a downpour, and I'm thinking hope they're staying dry somewhere.

      Delete
  30. Gorgeous photography of the squirrels!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  31. A cute nutty professor.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such cute squirrel shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I wonder if they know just how photogenic they really are.

      Delete
  33. The squirrels are adorable! I also like the frog figurines, they're both funny and cute. Happy weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bear and Bare are confusing...here I thought it was just me. Oh there is nothing better than finishing a great book...well not better as it is over but you know what I mean...often books are a disappointment.

    When I heard about Derek's last game...it made me think of my Daddy. Even though he was a die hard Atlanta Braves Fan he loved A GREAT game and that was a great game.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that it was...such a great game!! Wish I coulda been there in person.

      Delete
  35. Your squirrel is TOO cute! Great photos of him and your yard...love the rain in front of the lamp-post too! OK, those two books DO sound good. I have so many books to read, and I will often put the novel s to the bottom of the pile, but I have to say, I may have to add these! I remember my friend insisting I read The Historian and I really didn't want to read it! But, I did enjoy it. It wasn't the best book I ever read, but it was good. Then I bought a copy of Outlander on recommendation of another friend and (it is at the bottom of the stack) now my hubby and I watched the movie, and I see it's been made into a TV series, and I think I might like that one too. :-) I actually do know why I do that. I happen to be reading a novel now by one of my favorite authors. I think I read it years ago (it's an OLD one!) but I am enjoying it none-the-less, The Greek Treasure, by Irving Stone. I actually met him once at a book signing. He very kindly signed my old beloved copy of The President's Lady even though he was heralding a new book at the time. He spoke to the group and was fascinating. I LOVE signed books, and have a few. Have a great weekend, Anni! Trying to decide if I should post my goldfinches to Bird d'Pot or wait till next weekend, since I just posted the coyote. Speaking of coyote...I love them so much, and used to listen to them all around our farmhouse in Texas where they never bothered the ranchers calves or foals. But, I know they sometimes are bold and kill cats and small dogs and even attack children..,.I think those may be dog-coyote hybrids. Maybe I just can't believe something bad about them. What do you think? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean...some books that others really like just aren't my cup of tea so to speak. That was proven a few books back when the critics raved...and it was soooooo dull. lol

      Who knows about the hybrids...they do tend to be different in actions, that's for sure. You may be on to something. Brilliant.

      Delete
  36. The pictures of your backyard are beautiful and loved the shot of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I will look for the Poe book. Need a good read! I did an art piece of Kokopelli in the corn several years ago. Now I want to find the picture of it. Bud is talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...It is a good book. At least for me it was. I just checked your post and my goodness...what great work Ms. G!!

      Delete
  38. Cute post, Anni. I love the garden art! And the shots of the squirrel are cute. Thank you for linking up, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen, and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  39. Lovely thoughts all the way around. Yay for Jeter! :)

    love the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hootin Anni, I enjoyed your review of Mrs. Poe so much that I'm going to look for the book. Terrific photos, particularly the shot of the rain in the light of the street lamp. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Those squirrels are adorable! Love that shot of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Veronica...you're always such a pleasant visitor!! [and blogging friend]

      Delete

.